Preparation and Characterization of Germanium Sulfide Based Sol-Gel Planar Waveguides
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Germanium sulfide based glass films have been deposited by spin-coating onto single crystal silicon wafers and silica glass disks, using the reaction between GeCl4, either pure or doped with of 5 mol% of SbCl3, dissolved in toluene, with H2S. The films, heat-treated under different conditions, were characterized by X-ray diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, X-ray photoemission spectroscopy, mechanical profilometry and ellipsometry. Oxide contamination was found in these films, but this was reduced or even eliminated by a heat-treatment in H2S gas, at ∼270°C. A maximum film thickness of ∼1.3 μm was achieved and the refractive indices of the films were in the range of ∼1.9–2.8 at 633 nm. Propagated light was observed by butt-coupling, for waveguides deposited on silica glass disks, at λ = 633 nm. Optical losses in the range of 1.1–1.9 dB/cm were measured at this wavelength, for different regions of different planar waveguides. The present method has achieved reasonably low loss and low levels of oxide contamination, which are promising for active applications.
- C.J. Brinker and G.W. Scherer, Sol-Gel Science: The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing (Academic Press, San Diego, 1990).
- X. Orignac, D. Barbier, X.M. Du, R.M. Almeida, O. McCarthy, and E. Yeatman, Opt. Mater. 12, 1 (1999).
- R.M. Almeida, X.M. Du, X. Orignac, and D. Barbier, J. Sol-Gel Sci. & Technol. 14, 209 (1999).
- K. Wei, D.P. Machewirth, J. Wenzel, E. Snitzer, and G.H. Sigel Jr., J. Non-Cryst. Solids 182, 257 (1995).
- D.R. Simons, A.J. Faber, and H. de Waal, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 185, 283 (1995).
- P.J. Melling, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 63, 1427 (1984).
- A.B. Seddon, S.N.B. Hodgson, and M.G. Scott, J. Mater. Sci. 26, 2599 (1991).
- V. Stanic, A.C. Pierre, T.H. Etsell, and R.J. Mikula, J. Mater. Res. 101, 363 (1996).
- J. Sanghera, C. Scotto, S. Bayya, and I.D. Aggarwal, in Proc. XI Intern. Symp. on Non-Oxide Glasses and New Optical Glasses, Sheffield, UK, 6–10 September, 1998.
- O. Martins, J. Xu, and R.M. Almeida, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, in press.
- R.M. Almeida, P. Morais, and H.C. Vasconcelos, in SPIE Vol. 3136: Sol-Gel Optics IV, edited by B.S. Dunn, J.D. MacKenzie, E.J.A. Pope, H.K. Schmidt, and M. Yamane (SPIE, 1997), p. 296.
- G. Lucovsky and R.M. Martin, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 8–10, 185 (1972).
- B. Frumarová, P. Nemec, M. Frumar, J. Oswald, and M. Vlcek, in Proc. of XI Intern. Sym. On Non-Oxide & New Optical Glasses, Sheffield, UK, 6–10 September, 1998, p. 162.
- P. Boolchand, J. Grothaus, M. Tenhover, M.A. Hazle, and R.K. Grasselli, Phys. Rev. B 33, 5421 (1986).
- F.L. Galeener, A.J. Leadbetter, and M.W. Stringfellow, Phys. Rev. B 27, 1052 (1983).
- Y. Kawamoto and S. Tsuchihashi, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 54, 131 (1971).
- P.R. Griffiths and J.A. de Haseth, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986), Ch. 10.
- Preparation and Characterization of Germanium Sulfide Based Sol-Gel Planar Waveguides
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 19, Issue 1-3 , pp 243-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- germanium sulfide
- planar waveguides
- non-oxide glass
- Industry Sectors