Calculation of bulk modulus of titanium alloys by first principles electronic structure theory
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A theoretical study of the electronic structure and binding energy of some hypothetical Ti-X alloys was carried out using a first-principles discrete variational cluster method. The formation energy of an alloying atom in solution of titanium was estimated based on such calculations, and the case of multi-constituent practical Ti alloys was considered in the dilute limit by a linear superimposition approach. The influences of alloying additions on the bulk modulus of the alloys were evaluated from the variation of the formation energy. The calculated moduli of the Ti alloys were found to vary linearly with the experimental values. This indicates that the present approach is appropriate for the simulation of modulus of titanium alloys.
- Kuroda, D., Niinomi, M., Morinaga, M., Kato, Y. and Yashiro, T., Mater. Sci. Eng., A243 (1998) 244.
- Song, Y., Xu, D.S., Yang R., Li, D., Wu, W.T. and Guo, Z.X., Mater. Sci. Eng., A260 (1998) 269.
- Ellis, D.E. and Painter, G.S., Phys. Rev. B, 2 (1970) 2887. CrossRef
- Delley, B. and Ellis, D.E., J. Chem. Phys., 76 (1982) 1949. CrossRef
- Hedin, L. and Lundquist, B.I., J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys., 4 (1971) 2064. CrossRef
- Song, Y., Yang, R., Li, D., Wu, W.T. and Guo, Z.X., Phys. Rev. B, 59 (1999) 14220. CrossRef
- Banerjee, S., Arya, A. and Das, G.P., Acta Mater., 45 (1997) 601. CrossRef
- Song, Y., Xu, D.S., Yang, R., Li, D., Wu, W.T. and Guo, Z.X., In Proc. 9th World Conference on Titanium, 7–11 June 1999, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Ruban, A.V., Skriver, H.L. and Norskov, J.K., Phys. Rev. Lett., 80 (1998) 1240. CrossRef
- Niinomi, M., Mater. Sci. Eng., A243 (1998) 231.
- Boyer, R., Welsch, G. and Collings, E.W., Materials Properties Handbook: Titanium Alloys, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1994.
- Wang, K., Mater. Sci. Eng., A213 (1996) 134.
- Calculation of bulk modulus of titanium alloys by first principles electronic structure theory
Journal of Computer-Aided Materials Design
Volume 6, Issue 2-3 , pp 355-362
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Electronic structure
- First principles
- Titanium alloy
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Titanium Alloy Laboratory, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 72 Wenhua Road, Shenyang, 110015, China
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Rapidly Solidified Nonequilibrium Alloys, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 72 Wenhua Road, Shenyang, 110015, China
- 3. Department of Materials/IRC in Biomaterials, Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS, U.K