Photochromic Coatings Containing Ag(Cl1−xBrx) Microcrystals
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Photochromic ormosil coatings containing Ag(Cl1−x Br x ) microcrystals were formed on a glass substrate via the sol-gel process. Methyltrimethoxysilane and 3-glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane were used as starting materials of the ormosil matrices. 3-chloropropyltrimethoxysilane and bromophenyltrimethoxysilane were added as halogen sources and silver colloidal dispersion was introduced into the precursor sol. The coated glass became transparent and photosensitive after Ag(Cl1−x Br x ) microcrystals were precipitated in the coatings above 300°C. Insertion of a SiO2 buffer layer between the substrate and photochromic layer was effective in preventing Ag+ migration into the substrate. Photochromic performances were improved by the substitution of Cl with Br and the incorporation of a minute amount of Cu.
- W.H. Armistead and S.D. Stookey, Science 144, 150 (1964).
- R.J. Araujo, J. Non-cryst. Sol. 47, 69 (1982).
- M. Mening, H. Krug, C. Fink-Straube, P.W. Oliveila, and H. Schmidt, SPIE, Vol. 1758: Sol-Gel Optics II (SPIE, 1992), p. 387.
- M. Menning, C. Fink, and H. Schmidt, Bol. Soc. Esp. Ceram. Vid. 31-C 7, 281 (1992).
- C. Fink-Straube, Ph.D. thesis, University Saarbrücken (1993).
- A. Kriltz, M. Müller, R. Fachet, and H. Bürger, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 297, 41 (1997).
- M. Zayat, D. Einot, and R. Reisfeld, J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol. 10, 67 (1997).
- C. Lea, Am. J. Sci. 37, 47 (1889).
- G. Mie, Ann. Phys. 25, 377 (1908).
- C.L. Marquardt, J.F. Giuliani, and G. Gliemeroth, J. Appl. Phys. 48, 3669 (1977).
- G. Gliemeroth, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 57, 332 (1974).
- D. Caurant, D. Gourier, and M. Prassas, J. Appl. Phys. 71, 1081 (1992).
- D. Caurant, D. Gourier, D. Vivien, and M. Prassas, J. Appl. Phys. 73, 1657 (1993).
- Photochromic Coatings Containing Ag(Cl1−xBrx) Microcrystals
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 19, Issue 1-3 , pp 681-685
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- silver halide
- ormosil coating
- silver colloidal dispersion
- Industry Sectors