Preparation, Microstructure and Photocatalytic Activity of the Porous TiO2 Anatase Coating by Sol-Gel Processing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study the porous TiO2 anatase coatings are prepared from alkoxide solutions containing polyethylene glycol (PEG) by a dip-coating technique. The effects of PEG addition to the precursor solution on the photocatalytic activity and microstructure of the resultant coatings are studied. The larger amount and the larger molecular weight of PEG, the larger size and more pores produced in the resultant coatings on the decomposition of PEG during heat-treatment. The adsorbed hydroxyl content of such porous coatings is found to increase due to the larger size and more pores in the coatings. However, the transmittance of the coatings decreases due to the scattering by the larger size and more pores. Photocatalytic degradation experiments show that organophosphorous insecticide, dimethyl-2,2-dichlorovinyl phosphate (DDVP), was efficiently degraded in the presence of the porous TiO2 coatings by exposing the DDVP solution to sunlight. Photocatalytic degradation rate was related to the adsorbed hydroxyl content, transmittance and morphology of the resultant coatings.
- M.R. Hoffmann, S.T. Martin, W. Choi, and D.W. Bahnemann, Chem. Rev. 95, 69 (1995).
- R.W. Mattews, J Phys. Chem. 91, 3328 (1985).
- K. Kato, A. Tsuzuki, Y. Torii, H. Taoda, T. Kato, and Y. Butsugan, J. Mater. Sci. 30, 837 (1995).
- M. Takahashi, K. Mita, H. Toyoki, and M. Kume, J. Mater. Sci. 24, 243 (1989).
- K. Kato, A. Tsuzuki, H. Taoda, Y. Torii, T. Kato, and Y. Butsugan, J. Mater. Sci. 29, 5911 (1994).
- B. Samuneva, V. Kozhukharov, Ch. Trapalis, and R. Kranold, J. Mater. Sci. 28, 2353 (1993).
- K. Harada, T. Hisanaga, and K. Tanaka, Wat. Res. 24, 1415 (1990).
- D.F. Ollis, E. Pelizzetti, and N. Serpone, Environ. Sci. Technol. 25, 1523 (1991).
- J.G. Yu, G.L. Tang, and J.A. Zhu, J. Wuhan Univ. Tech. Mater. Sci. Edi. 1, 58 (1993).
- J.G. Yu, L.M. Zhang, Ch.Q. Pen, and X.J. Zhao, Acta Mineralogica Sinica 4, 380 (1992).
- C. Wagner and G. Muilnberg, Handbook of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (Physical Electronics Division, Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Eden Prairie, MN, 1979).
- Preparation, Microstructure and Photocatalytic Activity of the Porous TiO2 Anatase Coating by Sol-Gel Processing
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 163-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- sol-gel processing
- porous titania coatings
- photocatalytic degradation
- organophosphorous insecticide
- Industry Sectors