Symmetry Breaking for a System of Two Linear Second-Order Ordinary Differential Equations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A new canonical form for a system of two linear second-orderordinary differential equations (odes) is obtained. The latter isdecisive in unravelling symmetry structure of a system of two linearsecond-order odes. Namely we establish that the point symmetry Liealgebra of a system of two linear second-order odes can be5-, 6-, 7-, 8- or 15-dimensional. This result enhances both the richness andthe complexity of the symmetry structure of linear systems.
- Lie, S., Differential Equations, Chelsea, New York, 1967 [in German].
- Mahomed, F. M. and Leach, P. G. L., ‘Symmetry Lie algebra of nth order ordinary differential equations’, Journal of Mathematical Analysis Applications 151, 1990, 80-107.
- Ibragimov, N. H. and Mahomed, F. M., ‘Ordinary differential equations’, in CRC Hanbook of Lie Group Analysis of Differential Equations, Vol. 3, N. H. Ibragimov (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1996, pp. 191-215.
- Gorringe, V. M. and Leach, P. G. L., ‘Lie point symmetries for systems of 2nd order linear ordinary differential equations’, Quaestiones Mathematicae 11(1), 1988, 95-117.
- Ovsiannikov, L. V., Group Analysis of Differential Equations, Academic Press, New York, 1982.
- Wafo Soh, C. and Mahomed, F. M., ‘Linearization criteria fo a system of second-order ordinary differential equations’, Preprint, Centre for Differential Equations, Continuum Mechanics and Applications, University of the Witwatersrand, 1999.
- Forsyth, A., Treatise on Differential Equations, 5th ed., Macmillan, London, 1921.
- Gonzalez-Gascon F. and Gonzalez-Lopez A., ‘Symmetries of differential equations IV’, Journal of Mathematical Physics 24, 1983, 2006-2021.
- Symmetry Breaking for a System of Two Linear Second-Order Ordinary Differential Equations
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 121-133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- linear system
- group classification
- canonical form
- Industry Sectors