Analytical developments of rigid Mars nutation and tide generating potential series
- F. Roosbeek
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, series of rigid Mars nutations for the angular momentum axis, the rotation axis and the figure axis, as well as series of rigid Mars tide generating potential (TGP) are computed. The method used is based on the calculation of the forces produced by the external bodies on the rigid Mars. We have included the direct effect of the sun, Phobos and Deimos. We have also included the indirect effects associated with these bodies and planets of the Solar System which are given at the level of the ephemerides. For the nutation series, with a truncation level of 0.1 mas (milliarcsecond), related to the present-day precision of the Martian precession constant, 24 terms in longitudes (Δ*****) and 10 terms in obliquity (Δ*****) are computed. The value of the dynamical flattening used is H D=(C−A)/C=0.00536, derived from the value p a=−7576±35 mas/yr for the precession rate. Our results show a perfect agreement with those of Bouquillon and Souchay (1996) to the truncation level of Bouquillon and Souchary (1 mas). For the TGP series, we have set the truncation level to 10−6 m2/s2 which corresponds to an effect on the vertical acceleration on Mars’ surface of about 10−12 m/s2=0.1 nanogal (1 nanogal=10−11 m/s2. With this truncation level, 134 terms are computed.
- Bouquillon, S. and Souchay, J.: 1996, 'Outcome on the precession-nutation of Mars', Actes Journées Systèmes de Référence 1996, pp. 185-186.
- Bouquillon, S. and Souchay, J.: 1999, 'Precise modeling of the precession-nutation of Mars', Astron. Astrophys. 345, 282-297.
- Bretagnon, P. and Francou, G.: 1988, 'VSOP87: Planetary theories in rectangular and spherical variables', Astron. Astrophys. 202, 309-315.
- Chapront-Touzé, M.: 1990, 'Orbits of the Martian satellites from ESAPHO and ESADE theories', Astron. Astrophys. 240, 159-172.
- Folkner, W. M., Yoder, C. F., Yuan, D. N., Standish, E.M. and Preston, R. A.: 1997, 'Interior structure and seasonal mass redistribution of Mars from radio tracking of Mars Pathfinder', Science 278, 1749-1752.
- McCarthy, D.: 1996, 'IERS Conventions', IERS Tech. Note 21, 95.
- Roosbeek, F.: 1995, 'RATGP95: A harmonic development of the tide-generating potential using an analytical method', Geophys. J. Int. 126, 197-204.
- Roosbeek, F. and Dehant, V.: 1998, 'RDAN97: An analytical development of rigid Earth nutation series using the torque approach', Celest. Mech. & Dyn. Astr. 70, 215-253.
- Simon, J. L., Bretagnon, P., Chapront, J., Chapront-Touzé, M., Francou, G. and Laskar, J.: 1994, 'Numerical expressions for precession formulae and mean elements for the moon and the planets', Astron. Astrophys. 282, 663-683.
- Analytical developments of rigid Mars nutation and tide generating potential series
Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy
Volume 75, Issue 4 , pp 287-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- tide generating potential
- Industry Sectors
- F. Roosbeek (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Royal Observatory of Belgium, Avenue Circulaire 3, 1180, Brussels, Belgium, e-mail