Hopf Bifurcation and Hunting Behavior in a Rail Wheelset with Flange Contact
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An analytical investigation of Hopf bifurcation and hunting behavior of a rail wheelset with nonlinear primary yaw dampers and wheel-rail contact forces is presented. This study is intended to complement earlier studies by True et al., where they investigated the nonlinearities stemming from creep-creep force saturation and nonlinear contacts between a realistic wheel and rail profile. The results indicate that the nonlinearities in the primary suspension and flange contact contribute significantly to the hunting behavior. Both the critical speed and the nature of bifurcation are affected by the nonlinear elements. Further, the results show that in some cases, the critical hunting speed from the nonlinear analysis is less than the critical speed from a linear analysis. This indicates that a linear analysis could predict operational speeds that in actuality include hunting.
- Law, E. H. and Cooperrider, N. K., ‘A survey of railway vehicle dynamics research’, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 96, 1974, 132–146.
- Law, E. H. and Brand, R. S., ‘Analysis of the nonlinear dynamics of a railway vehicle wheelset’, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Series G 95, 1973, 28–35.
- Abel, S. G. and Cooperrider, N. K., ‘An equivalent linearization algorithm for nonlinear system limit cycle analysis’, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 107, 1985, 117–122.
- Hedrick, J. K. and Arslan, A. V., ‘Nonlinear analysis of rail vehicle forced lateral response and stability’, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 101, 1979, 230–237.
- Huilgol, R. R., ‘Hopf–Friedrichs bifurcation and the hunting of a railway axle’, Quarterly Journal of Applied Mathematics 36, 1978, 85–94.
- True, H. and Kaas-Petersen, C., ‘A bifurcation analysis of nonlinear oscillations in railway vehicles’, in The Dynamics of Vehicles on Road and on Tracks, 8th IAVSD Symposium, 1984, pp. 438-444.
- Kaas-Petersen, C. and True, H., ‘Periodic, biperiodic and chaotic dynamical behavior of railway vehicles’, in Proceedings 9th IAVSD Symposium, 1986, pp. 208–221.
- True, H., ‘A method to investigate the nonlinear oscillations of a railway vehicle’, Applied Mechanics Rail Transportation Symposium–1988, presented at the Winter Annual Meeting of ASME.
- True, H., ‘Dynamics of a rolling wheelset’, Applied Mechanics Review 46(7), 1993, 438–444.
- Cooperrider, N. R., ‘The hunting behavior of conventional railway trucks’, ASME Journal of Engineering in Industry 94, 1972, 752–762.
- True, H., ‘Some recent developments in nonlinear railway vehicle dynamics’, in 1st European Nonlinear Oscillation Conference, Proceedings of the International Conference, Hamburg, 1993, pp. 129–148.
- True, H., ‘Does a critical speed for railroad vehicle exist?’, in Proceedings of the IEEE/ASME Joint Railroad Conference, 1994, pp. 125–131.
- Yang, S. and Chen, E., ‘The Hopf bifurcation in a railway bogie with hysteretic nonlinearity’, Journal of the China Railway Society 15(4), 1993.
- Scheffel, D. H., ‘The influence of the suspension on the hunting stability of railway vehicles’, Rail International 10(8), 1979, 662–696.
- Yang, S. and Ahmadian, M., ‘The Hopf bifurcation of a rail wheelset with nonlinear damping’, in Proceedings of Rail Transportation Division, 1996 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Atlanta GA, November 17–22, 1996, pp. 113–120.
- True, H. and Jensen, J. C., ‘Parameter study of hunting and chaos in railway vehicle dynamics’, in Vehicle System Dynamics, Proceedings of 13th IAVSD Symposium, Chengdu, Sichuan, China, August 23–27, 1994, pp. 508–520.
- Bogoliubov, N. N. and Mitropolsky, Y. A., Asymptotic Method in the Theory of Nonlinear Oscillations, Hindustan Publishing, Delhi, India, 1961.
- Szulczyk, A., Chudzikiewicz, A., Drozdziel, J., and Kisilowski, J., ‘Analysis of nonlinear mathematical models of track-vehicle system’, in Proceedings of the 8th IAVSDIUTAM Symposium on the Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, Cambridge, MA, August 14–19, 1983.
- Garg, V. K. and Dukkipati, R. V., Dynamics of Railway Vehicle Systems, Academic Press, Canada, 1984.
- Hopf Bifurcation and Hunting Behavior in a Rail Wheelset with Flange Contact
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 15-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Hopf bifurcation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Advanced Vehicle Dynamics Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, 24061, U.S.A.
- 2. Division of Vibration and Noise Control, Shijiazhuang Railway Institute, Shijiazhuang, 050043, P.R. China