A Numerical Comparison of Some Modified Controlled Random Search Algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we propose a new version of the Controlled Random Search(CRS) algorithm of Price. The new algorithmhas been tested on thirteen global optimization test problems. Numericalexperiments indicate that the resulting algorithm performs considerablybetter than the earlier versions of the CRS algorithms. The algorithm,therefore, could offer a reasonable alternative to many currently availablestochastic algorithms, especially for problems requiring ’direct search‘type methods. Also a classification of the CRS algorithms is made based on’global technique‘ – ’local technique‘ and the relative performance ofclasses is numerically explored.
- Ali, M. M.: 1994, ‘Some Modified Stochastic Global Optimization Algorithms with Applications’, Loughborough University of Technology, Ph.D Thesis.
- Ali, M. and Storey, C.: 1994, ‘Modified Controlled Random Search Algorithms’, International Journal of Computer Mathematics53, 229–235.
- Ali, M. M, Storey, C. and Törn, A.: 1997, ‘Application of some stochastic global optimization algorithms to practical problems’, to appear in the Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 95, No.3, December 1997, 18 pp.
- Bekey, G. A. and Ung, M. T.: 1974, ‘A Comparative Evaluation of Two Global Search Algorithms’, IEEE Trans. Syst. Man, Cybern., SMC-4(1), pp. 112–116.
- Cheng, R. C. H.: 1978, ‘Generating Beta Variates with Nonintegral Shape Parameters’, Communications of the ACM21, 317–322.
- Dekkers, A. and Aarts, E.: 1991, ‘Global Optimization and Simulated Annealing’, Mathematical Programming50, 367–393.
- Dixon, L. C. W., and Szegö, G. P. (eds.): 1978, Towards Global Optimization 2, North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- Halton, J. H.: 1960, ‘On the Efficiency of certain Quasi-random Sequences of Points in Evaluating Multi-dimensional Integrals’, Numerische Mathematik2, 84–90.
- Jansson, C. and Knüppel, O.: 1995, ‘A Branch and Bound Algorithm for Bound Constrained Optimization Problems without Derivatives’, Journal of Global Optimization7, 297–331.
- Mohan, C. and Shanker, K.: 1988, ‘ANumerical Study of Some Modified Versions of Controlled Random Search Method for Global Optimization’, International Journal of Computer Mathematics 23, 325–341.
- Nelder, J. A. and Mead, R.: 1965, ‘A Simplex Method for Function Minimization’, The Computer Journal7, 308–313.
- Palosaari, S. M., Parviainen, S., Hiironen, J., Reunanen, J. and Neittaanmaki, P.: 1986, ‘A random Search Algorithm for Constrained Global Optimization’, Acta Polytechnica Scandinavica, Chemical Technology at Metallurgy Series No. 172, Helsinki, pp. 1–45.
- Price, W. L.: 1978, ‘A Controlled Random Search Procedure for Global Optimization’, Towards Global Optimization 2, L.C.W. Dixon and G.P. Szegö (eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, Holland, pp. 71–84.
- Price, W. L.: 1978, ‘Global Optimization by Controlled Random Search’, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications40, 333–348.
- Price, W. L.: 1978, ‘GlobalOptimizationAlgorithms for a CAD Workstation’, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications55, 133–146.
- Tezuka, S. and L’Ecuyer, P.: 1991, ‘Efficient and Portable Combined Tausworthe Random Number Generators’, ACM Transactions on Modelling and Computer Simulation1, 99–112.
- Törn, A. and Viitanen, S.: 1996, ‘Iterative Topographical Global Optimization’, in C.A. Floudas and M. Pardalos (eds.) State of the Art in Global Optimization, Computational Methods and Applications, Kluwer, Dordrecht, pp. 353–363.
- A Numerical Comparison of Some Modified Controlled Random Search Algorithms
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 377-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Global optimization
- controlled random search
- Industry Sectors