Chemical industry effluent impacts on reproduction and biochemistry in a North Sea population of viviparous blenny (Zoarces viviparus)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The reproduction biology and some biochemicalbiomarkers of viviparous blenny (Zoarcesviviparus L.) were studied in a Swedish fjord on theNorth Sea coast which receives chemical industrywaste-water. Data for comparison purposes wereobtained from a reference area used in the nationalmonitoring programme. The viviparous blenny has agestation period of 4–5 months. By analysing larvalsurvival and growth, reproductive performance wasshown to be significantly reduced in female blennyexposed to petrochemical effluents. Larval growth wassignificantly lowered, and the proportion of femalescarrying dead juveniles was higher than at thereference site. Also, the mean number of deadjuveniles per female was significantly higher in theeffluent area. Among sampling sites, responses were negatively correlated with the distance from theeffluent outlets. The narrow age distribution ofadults in exposed areas, and the difference in catchper unit effort, indicated increased adult mortality.No significant improvements in reproductiveperformance were seen when results were compared withprevious studies from 1988–1989. Significantdifferences in a set of enzymes associated with thedetoxification of xenobiotics, or the antioxidantdefence against organo- and oxyradicals, confirmed theexposure of the studied population to organic pollutants.
- Aebi, H., 1974. Catalase. In: H.U. Bergmeyer (ed), Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Academic Press, New York: 671–684.
- Andersson, T., M. Pesonen & C. Johansson, 1985. Differential induction of cytochrome P450 monooxygenase, epoxide hydrolase, glutathione transferase and UDP gucuronosyl transferase activities in the liver of rainbow trout by β-naphthoflavone of Clophen A50. Biochem. Pharmacol. 34: 3309–3314.
- Andersson, T., L. Förlin, J. Härdig & Å. Larsson, 1988. Physiological disturbances in fish living in coastal water polluted with bleached kraft pulp mill effluents. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45: 1526–1536.
- Carlberg, I. & B. Mannervik, 1974. Purification and characterization of the flavoenzyme glutathione reductase from rat liver. J. Biol. Chem. 250: 5475–5480.
- Celander, M. & L. Förlin, 1991. Catalytic and immunochemical quantification of hepatic cytochrome P-450 in β-naphthoflavone and isosafrol treated rainbow trout (Onchorynchus mykiss). Fish Physiol. Biochem. 9: 189–197.
- Celander, M., C. Näf, D. Broman & L. Förlin, 1994. Temporal aspects of induction of hepatic cytochrome P450 1A and conjugationing enzymes in the viviparous blenny (Zoarces viviparus) treated with petroleum hydrocarbons. Aquat. Toxicol. 29: 183–196.
- Förlin, L., 1980. Effects of Clophene A50, 3-methylchloanthrene, pregnenolone-16O-carbonitrile and phenobarbital on the hepatic microsomal cytochrome P-450-dependent mono-oxygenase system in rainbow trout of different age and sex. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 54: 420–430.
- Förlin, L. & M. Celander, 1993. Induction of cytochrome P-450 1A in teleosts: environmentalmonitoring in Swedish fresh, brackish and marine waters. Aquat. Toxicol. 26: 41–36.
- Förlin, L. & C. Haux, 1985. Increased excretion in the bile of 3Hestradiol-17β derived radioactivity in rainbow trout treated with β-naphthoflavone. Aquat. Toxicol. 6: 197–208.
- Goksøyr, A. & L. Förlin, 1992. The cytochrome P450 system in fish, aquatic toxicology and environmental monitoring. Aquat. Toxicol. 22: 287–312.
- Jacobsson, A. & E. Neuman, 1991. Fish recruitment around a petrochemical centre in the North Sea. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 22: 269–272.
- Jacobsson, A., E. Neuman & M. Olsson, 1993. The viviparous blenny as an indicator of effects of toxic substances. Kustrapport 6, 22 pp.
- Jacobsson, A., E. Neuman & G. Thoresson, 1986. The viviparous blenny as an indicator of environmental effects of harmful substances. Ambio 15: 236–238.
- Jobling, S., D. Sheahan, J.A. Osborne, P. Matthiessen & J.P. Sumpter 1996. Inhibition of testicular growth in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) exposed to estrogenic alkylphenolic chemicals. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 15: 194–202.
- Korsgaard, B., 1986. Trophic adaptations during early intraovarian development of embryos of Zoarces viviparus(L.). J. Exp.Mar. Biol. Ecol. 98: 141–152.
- Kristofferson, R., S. Brogerg & M. Pekkarinen, 1973. Histology and physiology of embryotrophe formation, embryonic nutrition and growth in the eelpout, Zoarces viviparus(L.). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 10: 467–477.
- LukŠiene, D. & O. Sandström, 1994. Reproduction disturbances in a roach (Rutilus rutilus) population affected by cooling water discharge. J. Fish Biol. 45: 613–625.
- Matsubara T., R.A. Prough, M.D. Burke & R.W. Estabrook, 1974. The preparation of microsomal fractions of rodent respiratory tract and their characterization. Cancer Res. 34: 2196–2203.
- McMaster, M.E., G.J. van der Kraak, C.B. Portt, K.R. Munkittrick, P.K. Sibley, I.R. Smith & D.G. Dixon, 1991. Changes in hepatic mixed function oxygenase (MFO) activity, plasma steriod levels and age at maturity of a white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) population exposed to bleached kraft pulp mill effluent. Aquat. Toxicol. 21: 199–218.
- Munkittrick, K.R. & D.G. Dixon, 1988. Growth, fecundity, and energy stores of white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) from lakes containing elevated levels of copper and zinc. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 45: 1355–1365.
- Munkittrick, K. R., M.E McMaster, C. B Portt, G. J. van der Kraak, I. R. Smith & D. G. Dixon, 1992. Changes in maturity, plasma sex steroid levels, hepatic mixed-function oxygenase activity, and the presence of external lesions in lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis) exposed to bleached kraft mill effluent. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 1560–1569.
- Naturvårdsverket, 1992. Discharges of persistent organic compounds from chemical industries. Investigations 1989–1991 (in Swedish). Naturvårdsverket Rapport 4103. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.
- Sandström, O., 1996. In situassessments of pulpmill effluent impact on life-history variables in fish. In: M.R. Servos, K.R. Munkittrick, J.H. Carey & G.J. van der Kraak (eds), Fate and Effects of Pulp and Paper Mill Effluents. St. Lucie Press, Boca Raton: 449–458.
- Sandström, O., E. Neuman & P. Karås, 1988. Effects of a bleached pulp mill effluent on growth and gonad function in Baltic coastal fish. Water Sci. Technol. 20: 107–118.
- Sandström, O., E. Neuman & G. Thoresson, 1995. Effects of temperature on life history variables in perch. J. Fish. Biol. 47: 652–670.
- Specker, J.L. & C.V. Sullivan, 1993. Vitellogenesis in fishes: status and perspectives. In: K.G. Davey & S.S. Tobe (eds), Perspectives in Comparative Endocrinology. National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa: 304–315.
- Stagg, R.M. & R.F. Addison, 1995. An inter-laboratory comparison of measurements of ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase activity in dab (Limanda limanda) liver. Mar. Env. Res. 40: 93–108.
- Stegeman, J.J., M. Brouwer, R.T. Di Guilio, L. Förlin, B.A. Fowler, B.M. Sanders & P.A. van Veld, 1992. Molecular responses to environmental contamination: Enzyme and protein systems as indicators of chemical exposure and effects. In: R.J. Hugget, R.A. Kimerle, P.M. Mehrle & H.L. Bergman (eds), Biomarkers: Biochemical, Physiological and Histological Markers of Anthropogenic Stress. SETAC Special Publications Series, Lewis Publishers: 235–335.
- Chemical industry effluent impacts on reproduction and biochemistry in a North Sea population of viviparous blenny (Zoarces viviparus)
Journal of Aquatic Ecosystem Stress and Recovery
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 33-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- The North Sea
- viviparous blenny
- toxic pollution