Polysaccharides from the red seaweed Bostrychia montagnei: chemical characterization
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bostrychia montagnei was submitted to aqueous extraction at 25 and 85 °C. The purified polysaccharide extracts represent ∼ 17% of the dried alga. Galactose is the principal monosaccharide component of these extracts (60.8–70.4 mol%). 3,6-Anhydrogalactose and its 2- O-methyl derivative are also present in smaller amounts (16.2–22.0 mol%), as well as other methylated sugars, such as 6- O- (6.5–7.8 mol%) and 2-O-methylgalactose (0.2–2.1 mol%). Xylose (4.1–8.1 mol%) and glucose (0.7–2.6 mol%) were also detected. The aqueous extracted polysaccharides (25 °C) were separated by anion-exchange chromatography into six sulphated galactan fractions with negative specific rotations and another two with high xylose contents and positive specific rotations. The sulphated galactans all have an agar type backbone modified by partial O-methyl substitution on O-6 or O-2 of the galactosyl units. The latter substitution is also present in varying degrees of 3,6-anhydrogalactose.
- Batey JF, Turvey JR (1975) The galactan sulphate of the red alga Polysiphonia lanosa. Carbohydr. Res. 43: 133–143. CrossRef
- Blumenkrantz N, Asboe-Hansen G (1973) New method for quantitative determination of uronic acids. Anal. Biochem. 54: 484–489. CrossRef
- Bowker DM, Turvey JR (1968) Water-soluble polysaccharides from the red alga Laurencia pinnatifida. Part I. Constituent units. J. chem. Soc., C. 983–988.
- Cases MR, Stortz CA, Cerezo AS (1992) Methylated, sulphated xylogalactans from the red seaweed Corallina officinalis. Phytochemistry 31: 3897–3900. CrossRef
- Dodgson KS, Price RG (1962) A note on the determination of the ester sulphate content of sulphated polysaccharides. Biochem. J. 84: 106–110.
- Dubois MK, Gilles A, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F (1956) Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal. Chem. 28: 350–356. CrossRef
- Duckworth M, Yaphe W (1971) The structure of agar. Part I. Fractionation of a complex mixture of polysaccharides. Carbohydr. Res. 16: 189–197. CrossRef
- Furneaux RH, Stevenson TT (1990) The xylogalactan sulfate from Chondria macrocarpa (Ceramiales, Rhodophyta). Hydrobiologia 204/205: 615–620. CrossRef
- Karsten U, West JA, Zuccarello G (1992) Polyol content of Bostrychia and Stictosiphonia (Rhodomelaceae, Rhodophyta) from field and culture. Bot. mar. 35: 11–19.
- Kolender AA, Matulewicz MC, Cerezo AS (1995) Structural analysis of antiviral sulfated α-D-(1→3)-linked mannans. Carbohydr. Res. 273: 179–185. CrossRef
- Kremer BP (1976) Distribution of alditols in the genus Bostrychia. Biochem. System. Ecol. 4: 139–141. CrossRef
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RL (1951) Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. biol. Chem. 193: 265–275.
- Matulewicz MC, Cerezo AS, Jarret RM, Syn N (1992) High resolution 13C-n.m.r. spectroscopy of ‘mixed linkage’ xylans. Int. J. biol. Macromol. 14: 29–32.
- Matulewicz MC, Ciancia M, Noseda MD, Cerezo AS (1989) Carrageenan systems from tetrasporic and cystocarpic stages of Gigartina skottsbergii. Phytochemistry 28: 2932–2941. CrossRef
- Miller IJ, Furneaux RH (1997) The structural determination of the agaroid polysaccharides from four New Zealand algae in the order Ceramiales by means of 13C NMR spectroscopy. Bot. mar. 40: 333–339. CrossRef
- Miller IJ, Falshaw R, Furneaux RH (1993) The chemical structure of polysaccharides from New Zealand members of the Rhodomelaceae. Bot. mar. 36: 203–208.
- Painter TJ (1983) In Aspinall GO (ed.), The Polysaccharides Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York: 195–285.
- Park JT, Johnson MJ (1949) A submicro determination of glucose. J. biol. Chem. 181: 149–151.
- Rees DA (1961) Estimation of the relative amounts of isomeric sulphate esters in some sulphated polysaccharides. J. chem. Soc. 5168–5171.
- Stevenson TT, Furneaux RH (1991) Chemical methods for the analysis of sulphated galactans from red algae. Carbohydr. Res. 210: 277–298. CrossRef
- Stortz CA, Cerezo AS (1993) The systems of carrageenans from cystocarpic and tetrasporic stages from Iridaea undulosa: fractionation with potassium chloride and methylation analysis of the fractions. Carbohydr. Res. 242: 217–227. CrossRef
- Usov AI (1992) Sulfated polysaccharides of the red seaweeds. Food Hydrocolloids 6: 9–23. CrossRef
- Usov AI, Elashvili MYa (1991) Polysaccharides of algae. 44. Investigation of sulfated galactan from Laurencia nipponica Yamada (Rhodophyta, Rhodomelaceae) using partial reductive hydrolysis. Bot. mar. 34: 553–560. CrossRef
- Yaphe W (1960) Colorimetric determination of 3,6-anhydrogalactose and galactose in marine algal polysaccharides. Anal. Chem. 32: 1327–1330. CrossRef
- Polysaccharides from the red seaweed Bostrychia montagnei: chemical characterization
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 35-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bostrychia montagnei
- sulphated galactans
- Industry Sectors