Price Dynamics in a Network of Decentralized Power Markets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we model the dynamic behavior of prices in a network of interconnected, but decentralized, electric power markets—an architecture very different from the centralized exchanges and power pools currently being implemented by many state regulators. We estimate dynamic equations of unregulated, wholesale power prices at spot markets scattered over an eleven-state trading region. The results indicate that this decentralized system of power and transmission trading produces prices that are efficient and dynamically stable over this vast network. Price convergence in the power market is similar to what has been observed in the recently deregulated natural gas market.
- Akaike, H. 1973. “Information Theory and the Extension of the Maximum Likelihood Principle.” In 2nd International Symposium on Information Theory, edited by Petrov, B. and F. Csaki, pages 267-281. Budapest: Akademiai Kiado.
- Bohn, R. E., M. C. Carmanis, and F. C. Schweppe. 1984. “Optimal Pricing in Electrical Networks Over Space and Time.” Rand Journal of Economics 15:360-376.
- Borenstein, S. 1992. “The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition.” Journal of Economic Perspectives 6:45-74.
- Box, G., and G. Jenkins. 1970. Time Series Analysis. San Francisco: Holden Day.
- De Vany, A. S., and W. D. Walls. 1994. “Network Connectivity and Price Convergence: Gas Pipeline Deregulation.” Research in Transportation Economics 3:1-36.
- De Vany, A. S., and W. D. Walls. 1996. “The Law of One Price in a Network: Arbitrage and Price Dynamics in Natural Gas City Gate Markets.” Journal of Regional Science 36:555-570.
- De Vany, A. S., and W. D. Walls. 1997. “Open Transmission and Spot Markets for Power: Models of Power and Transmission Pricing on the Western Network.” Paper presented at the 72nd Western Economic Association Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington, July.
- Dickey, D. A., and W. A. Fuller. 1979. “Distribution of the Estimators of Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root.” Journal of the American Statistical Association 74:427-431.
- Dwivedi, T. D., and V. K. Srivastava. 1978. “Optimality of Least Squares in the Seemingly Unrelated Regression Equation Model.” Journal of Econometrics 7:391-395.
- Enders, W. 1995. Applied Econometric Time Series. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Harvey, A. C. 1981. Time Series Models. Oxford: Philip Allan.
- Hayek, F. A. (editor). 1956. Collectivist Economic Planning: Critical Studies on the Possibilities of Socialism. London: Routledge. (Reprint of 1935 edition.)
- Hogan, W. 1993. “Markets in Real Electric Networks Require Reactive Prices.” The Energy Journal 14:171-200.
- Kloek, T., and H. Van Dijk, H. 1978. “Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo.” Econometrica 46:1-20.
- Lehr, D. K., and S. Van Vactor. 1996. Evolution of wholesale power price structures in the Western Power Market, chapter 16, pages 233-247. London: Risk Publications.
- Lerner, A. P. 1970. The Economics of Control: Principles of Welfare Economics. New York: A.M. Kelley. (Reprint of 1944 edition.)
- Ljung, G., and G. Box. 1978. “On a Measure of Lack of Fit in Time Deries Models.” Biometrika 67:297-303.
- Lutkepohl, H. 1991. Introduction to Multivariate Time Series Analysis. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- MacKinnon, J. 1991. “Critical Values for Cointegration Tests.” In Long-Run Economic Relationships, edited by R.F. Engle and C. W. J. Granger, pages 267-276. London: Oxford University Press.
- Wilson, W. W., and R. Beilock. 1994. “Market Access in Regulated and Unregulated Markets: The Continuing Cost of Interstate Motor Carrier Regulation.” Journal of Regulatory Economics 6:363-379.
- Price Dynamics in a Network of Decentralized Power Markets
Journal of Regulatory Economics
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 123-140
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors