Fire-induced changes in northern Patagonian landscapes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In northern Patagonia, Argentina we quantify changes in fire frequency along a gradient from mesic Nothofagus dombeyi forest to xeric woodlands of Austrocedrus chilensis at the steppe ecotone, and we examine patterns of vegetation change coincident with the changes in fire regimes across a range of spatial scales. At a regional scale changes in land cover types are documented by comparing 1:250 000 scale cover type maps from 1913 and 1985. Changes in landscape structure are analyzed by comparing vegetation patterns on 1:24 000 scale aerial photographs taken in 1940 and 1970. Fire frequency peaked in the late nineteenth-century due to widespread burning and clearing of forests by European settlers late in the century. Subsequently, fire frequency declined dramatically about 1910 due to the cessation of intentional fires and has remained low due to increasingly effective fire exclusion. At a regional scale there has been a dramatic increase during the twentieth century in the proportion of forest cover relative to areas mapped as recent burns or shrublands in 1913. Remnant forest patches that survived the widespread late-nineteenth century burning have coalesced to form more continuous forest covers, and formerly continuous areas of shrublands have become dissected by forest. Under reduced fire frequency there has been a shift in dominance from short-lived resprouting species (mostly shrubs) towards longer-lived species and obligate seed-dispersers such as Austrocedrus chilensis and Nothofagus dombeyi. Due to limited seed dispersal of these tree species, the spatial configuration of remnant forest patches plays a key role in subsequent changes in landscape pattern.
- Agee, J.K. 1994. Fire ecology of Pacific Northwest forests. Island Press, Washington, D.C. Baker, W.L. 1989. Landscape ecology and nature reserve design in the Boundary Waters CanoeArea, Minnesota. Ecology 70: 23-35.
- Baker, W.L. 1992. Effects of settlement and fire suppression on landscape structure. Ecology 73: 1879–1887.
- Barros, V., Cordón, V., Moyano, C., Méndez, R., Forquera, J. and Pizzio, O. 1983. Cartas de precipitación de la zona oeste del las provincias de Rio Negro y Neuquén. Unpublished report, Facultad de Ciencias Agrarias, Universidad Nacional del Comahue, Cinco Saltos.
- Burns, B. R. 1993. Fire-induced dynamics of Araucaria araucana Nothofagus antarctica forestin the southern Andes. Journal of Biogeography 20: 669–685.
- Covington, W.W. and Moore, M. 1994. Southwestern Ponderosa forest structure. Journal of Forestry 92: 39–47.
- De Pietri, D.E. 1992. Alien shrubs in a national park: can they help in the recovery of natural degraded forest? Biological Conservation 62: 127–130. CrossRef
- Eastman, J.R. 1990. IDRISI. A grid-based geographic analysis system. Graduate School of Geography, Clark University, Worcester, MA.
- Ericksen, W. 1971. Betriebsformen und probleme der viehwirthschaft am rande der Argentinische südkordillere. Z. Ausl. Landwirtschaft 10: 24–27.
- Fuentes, E.R., Otaiza, R.D., Alliende, M.C., Hoffmann, A. and Poiani, A. 1984. Shrub clumps of the Chilean matorral vegetation: structure and possible maintenance mechanisms. Oecologia 62: 405–411. CrossRef
- Gobbi, M., Puntieri, J., and Calvelo, S. 1995. Post-fire recovery and invasion by alien plant species in a South American woodlandsteppe ecotone. In Plant Invasions: General Aspects and Special Problems. pp. 105–115. Edited by Pysek, P., Prach, K., Rejmanek, M., and Wade, M. Academic Publishing, Amsterdam.
- Harris, L.D. 1984. The fragmented forest. Island biogeography and the presevation of biotic diversity. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Heinselman, M.L. 1973. Fire in the virgin forest of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota. Quaternary Research 3: 329–82. CrossRef
- Johnson, E.A. and Van Wagner, C.E. 1985. The theory and use of two fire history models. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 15: 214–220.
- Kitzberger, T. 1994. Fire regime variation along a northern Patagonian forest-steppe ecotone: stand and landscape response. Ph.D. Thesis. Department of Geography, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Kitzberger, T., Steinaker, D.F. and Veblen, T.T. Unpublished. Spatial and temporal establishment opportunities for Austrocedrus chilensis at the northern Patagonian forest-steppe transition. Unpublished manuscript.
- Kitzberger, T., Veblen, T.T. and Villalba, R. 1997. Climatic influences on fire regimes along a rainforest-to-xeric woodland gradient in northern Patagonia, Argentina. Journal of Biogeography 23: 35–47.
- Legendre, L. and Legendre, P. 1983. Numerical ecology. Elsevier, New York. Martín, C., Mermoz, M., and Gallopín G. 1985. Impacto de la ganadería en la cuenca del Río Manso Superior. Parte I. Bosque de ñire con laura. Report, Administración de Parques Nacionales, Buenos Aires.
- McBride, J.R. 1983. Analysis of tree rings and fire scars to establish fire history. Tree-Ring Bulletin 43: 51–67.
- McGarrigal, K. and Marks, B.J. 1993. FRAGSTATS. Spatial Pattern Analysis Program for Quantifying Landscape Structure. Unpublished software. Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University.
- Mermoz, M. and Martín, C. 1986. Mapa de la vegetación del Parque y Reserva Nacional Nahuel Huapi. Unpublished report. Administración de Parques Nacionales, Buenos Aires.
- Raffaele, E. and Gobbi, M.E. 1996. Seed bank composition and variability in Austrocedrus chilensis forest sites in Patagonia, Argentina. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Science 22: 59–72.
- Story, M. and Congalton, R.G. 1986. Accuracy assessment: a user's perspective. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 52: 397–399.
- Turner, M.G. and Romme, W.H. 1994. Landscape dynamics in crown fire ecosystems. Landscape Ecology 9: 59–77. CrossRef
- Turner, M.G., Gardner, R.H., Dale, V.H. and O'Neill, R.V. 1989. Predicting the spread of disturbance across heterogeneous landscapes. Oikos 55: 121–129.
- Van Wagner, C.E. 1978. Age-class distribution and the forest cycle. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 8: 220–227.
- Veblen, T.T., Burns, B.R., Kitzberger, T., Lara, A. and Villalba, R. 1995. The ecology of the conifers of southern South America. In Ecology of the Southern Conifers. pp. 120–155. Edited by Enright, N. and Hill, R. Melbourne University Press, Parkville, Australia.
- Veblen, T.T., Donoso, C., Kitzberger, T. and Rebertus, A.J. 1996. Ecology of southern Chilean and southern Argentinean Nothofagus forests. In Ecology and Biogeography of Nothofagus Forests. pp. 293–353. Edited by Veblen, T.T., Hill, R.S. and Read, J. Yale University Press, New Haven.
- Veblen, T.T, Kitzberger, T. and Lara, A. 1992a. Disturbance and vegetation dynamics along a transect from rain forest to Patagonian shrublands. Journal of Vegetation Science 3: 507–520.
- Veblen, T.T. and Lorenz, D.C. 1987. Post-fire stand development of Austrocedrus-Nothofagus forests in Patagonia. Vegetatio 71: 113–126.
- Veblen, T.T. and Lorenz, D.C. 1988. Recent vegetation changes along the forest/steppe ecotone in northern Patagonia. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 78: 93–111.
- Veblen, T.T. and Markgraf, V. 1988. Steppe expansion in Patagonia? Quaternary Research 30: 331–338.
- Veblen, T.T., Mermoz, M., Martin, C. and Kitzberger, T. 1992b. Ecological impacts of introduced animals in Nahuel Huapi National Park, Argentina. Conservation Biology 6: 71–83.
- Villalba, R and Veblen, T.T. 1997. Regional patterns of tree population age structures in northern Patagonia: climatic and distrubance influences. Journal of Ecology 85: 113–124.
- Villalba, R. 1995. Climatic influences on forest dynamics along the forest-steppe ecotone in northern Patagonia. Ph.D. Thesis. Department of Geography, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Willis, B. 1914. Northern Patagonia: Character and resources. Vol. I. Ministry of Public Works. Buenos Aires.
- Fire-induced changes in northern Patagonian landscapes
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 1-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- change detection
- fire exclusion
- landscape pattern