High cell density and productivity culture of Chinese hamster ovary cells in a fluidized bed bioreactor
- D. KongAffiliated withHuman Genome Sciences, Inc.
- , S. CardakAffiliated withHuman Genome Sciences, Inc.
- , M. ChenAffiliated withHuman Genome Sciences, Inc.
- , R. GentzAffiliated withHuman Genome Sciences, Inc.
- , J. ZhangAffiliated withHuman Genome Sciences, Inc. Email author
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A recombinant Chinese hamster ovary clone was cultivated in a 2L Cytopilot Mini fluidized bed bioreactor using Cytoline 1 microcarriers and a 10L B. Braun stirred tank bioreactor with Cytodex 1 microcarriers. Cytoline 1 is a macroporous polyethylene microcarrier and Cytodex 1 is a solid DEAE-dextran microcarrier. Cytoline 1 microcarriers in the fluidized bed bioreactor were gently mixed by an uplifting flow. Circulation and sparging in Cytopilot Mini were separated from the fluidized microcarrier bed. Cytopilot Mini bioreactor with Cytoline 1 microcarriers offered 2.3 times more surface area than the stirred tank bioreactor. The 2L fluidized bed bioreactor accommodated approximately half the cells in the 10L stirred tank bioreactor. Moreover, Cytopilot Mini had approximately three times more product output rate and 5.5 times higher specific productivity than the stirred tank bioreactor.
- High cell density and productivity culture of Chinese hamster ovary cells in a fluidized bed bioreactor
Volume 29, Issue 3 , pp 215-220
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cytoline microcarrier
- fluidized bed bioreactor (FBR)
- stirred tank bioreactor (STR)
- Industry Sectors