Structure and Motion Estimation from Dynamic Silhouettes under Perspective Projection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We address the problem of estimating the structure and motion of a smooth curved object from its silhouettes observed over time by a trinocular stereo rig under perspective projection. We first construct a model for the local structure along the silhouette for each frame in the temporal sequence. The local models are then integrated into a global surface description by estimating the motion between successive time instants. The algorithm tracks certain surface features (parabolic points) and image features (silhouette inflections and frontier points) which are used to bootstrap the motion estimation process. The entire silhouettes along with the reconstructed local structure are then used to refine the initial motion estimate. We have implemented the proposed approach and report results on real images.
- Arbogast, E. and Mohr, R. 1992. An egomotion algorithm based on the tracking of arbitrary curves. In Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 467–475.
- Blake, A. and Cipolla, R. 1990. Robust estimation of surface curvature from deformation of apparent contours. In Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 465–474.
- Blake, A., Cipolla, R. (1992) Surface shape from the deformation of apparent contours. International Journal of Computer Vision 9: pp. 83-112
- Boyer, E., Berger, M. (1997) 3D surface reconstruction using occluding contours. International Journal of Computer Vision 22: pp. 219-233
- Cipolla, R., Astrom, K., and Giblin, P. 1995. Motion from the frontier of curved surfaces. In Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 269–275.
- do Carmo, M. (1976) Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Faugeras, O., Papadopoulo, T. (1992) Disambiguating stereo matches with spatio-temporal surfaces. Geometric Invariance in Computer Vision. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 310-331
- Giblin, P., Pollick, F., Rycroft, J. (1994) Recovery of an unknown axis of rotation from the profiles of a rotating surface. Journal of the Optical Society of America 11A: pp. 1976-1984
- Giblin, P. and Weiss, R. 1987. Reconstruction of surfaces from profiles. In Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 136–144.
- Giblin, P., Weiss, R. (1995) Epipolar curves on surfaces. Image and Vision Computing 13: pp. 33-44
- Joshi, T., Ahuja, N., and Ponce, J. 1994. Silhouette-based structure and motion estimation of a smooth object. In Proc. ARPA Image Understanding Workshop, pp. 1237–1243.
- Joshi, T., Ponce, J., Vijayakumar, B., Kriegman, D. (1997) HOT curves for modelling and recognition of smooth curved 3D shapes. Image and Vision Computing 15: pp. 479-498
- Koenderink, J. (1984) What does the occluding contour tell us about solid shape. Perception 13: pp. 321-330
- Koenderink, J. (1990) Solid Shape. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Kutulakos, K. and Dyer, C. 1994. Global surface reconstruction by purposive control of observer motion. In Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 331–338.
- Press, W., Flannery, B., Teukolsky, S., and Vetterling, W. 1994. Numerical Recipes in C. Cambridge University Press.
- Rieger, J. (1986) Three-dimensional motion from fixed points of a deforming profile curve. Optics Letters 11: pp. 123-125
- Seales, B. and Faugeras, O. 1994. Building three-dimensional CAD/CAM models from image sequences. In Second CAD-Based Vision Workshop, Pittsburgh (PA), pp. 116–123.
- Szeliski, R. and Weiss, R. 1993. Robust shape recovery from occluding contours using a linear smoother. In Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 666–667.
- Tsai, R. (1987) A versatile camera calibration technique for highaccuracy 3D machine vision metrology using off-the-shelf TV cameras. IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation RA-34: pp. 323-344
- Vaillant, R., Faugeras, O. (1992) Using extremal boundaries for 3D object modeling. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 14: pp. 157-172
- Zheng, J. (1994) Acquiring 3D models from sequences of contours. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 16: pp. 163-178
- Zhao, C., Mohr, R. (1994) Relative 3D regularized B-spline surface reconstruction through image sequences. Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision 800: pp. 417-426
- Structure and Motion Estimation from Dynamic Silhouettes under Perspective Projection
International Journal of Computer Vision
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 31-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- motion estimation
- 3D structure estimation
- occluding contours
- trinocular stereo
- frontier points
- epipolar curves
- Industry Sectors