Regional Flood Frequency Analysis of Mahi-Sabarmati Basin (Subzone 3-a) using Index Flood Procedure with L-Moments
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With the objective of investigating the hydrological homogeneity of India's hydrometeorological subzone 3-a and identification of a suitable frequency distribution for it, a regional flood frequency analysis has been carried out using the index flood procedure and the L-moments. Based on analysis of flood data at 12 gauged sites, the Mahi-Sabarmati basin is shown to be hydrologically homogeneous and follows the generalized normal distribution. Regional curve developed based on the analysis has been recommended for carrying out flood frequency analysis at both gauged and ungauged sites in this region.
- Cunnane, C. (1978) Unbiased plotting positions: A review. J. Hydrol. 37: pp. 269-290
- Cunnane, C. (1988) Methods and merits of regional flood frequency analysis. J. Hydrol. 100: pp. 269-290
- Dalrymple, T.: 1960, Flood frequency methods, U.S. Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 1543A, 11-51.
- Greenwood, J. A., Landwehr, J. M., Matalas, N. C., Walls, J. R. (1979) Probability weighted moments: Definition and relation to parameters of several distributions expressible in inverse form. Water Resour. Res. 15: pp. 1055-1064
- Gupta, P. N. (1987) Regional flood frequency approach estimation of flood peaks for Mahi and Sabarmati river basin (subzone 3-a) I: pp. I/16-I/26
- Hosking, J. R. M.: 1986, The theory of probability weighted moments. IBM Research Report, RC12210.
- Hosking, J. M. (1990) L-moments: Analysis and estimation of distribution using linear combination of order statistics. J.R. Statist. Soc. B. 52: pp. 105-124
- Hosking, J. R. M. (1994) The four-parameter kappa distribution. IBM J. Res. Develop. 38: pp. 251-258
- Hosking, J. R., Wallis, J. R. (1993) Some statistics useful in regional frequency analysis. Water Resour. Res. 29: pp. 271-281
- Handbook for estimation of design discharge for railway bridges. Research Designs and Standards Organization, Lucknow, India
- Wallis, J. R.: 1980, Risk and uncertainties in evaluation of flood events for design of hydraulic structures, Sem. on Extreme Hydrologic Events, Foundazione Politecnica del Mediterraneo Erice, Italy, pp. 1-33.
- Regional Flood Frequency Analysis of Mahi-Sabarmati Basin (Subzone 3-a) using Index Flood Procedure with L-Moments
Water Resources Management
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- probability weighted moments
- discordancy measure
- regional heterogeneity
- goodness-of-fit measure
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, 110016, India
- 2. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Dar es Salaam, P.O. Box 35091, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- 3. Nepal Electricity Authority, Ratna Park, Kathmandu, Nepal