Shared Memory Programming in Metacomputing Environments: The Global Array Approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The performance of the Global Array shared-memory nonuniform memory-access programming model is explored in a wide-area-network (WAN) distributed supercomputer environment. The Global Array model is extended by introducing a concept of mirrored arrays that thanks to the caching and user-controlled consistency of the shared data structure scan reduce the application sensitivity to the network latency. Latencies and bandwidths for remote memory access are studied, and the performance of a large application from computational chemistry is evaluated using both fully distributed and also mirrored arrays. Excellent performance can be obtained with mirroring if even modest (0.5 MB/s) network bandwidth is available.
- C. Amza, A. L. Cox, S. Dwarkadas, P. Kohler, H. Lu, R. Rajamony, W. Yu, and W. Zwaenepoel. “Tread-Marks: Shared memory computing on networks of workstations”, IEEE Computer, 29(2):18–28, 1996.
- Anonymous Ftp: ftp.pnl.gov://pub/permanent/global/global2.3.tar.Z, 1997.
- D. E. Bernholdt, E. Aprà, H. A. Früchtl, M. F. Guest, R. J. Harrison, R. A. Kendall, R. A. Kutteh, X. Long, J. B. Nicholas, J. A. Nichols, H. L. Taylor, A. T. Wong, G. I. Fann, R. J. Littlefield, and J. Nieplocha. ”Parallel Computational Chemistry Made Easier: The Development of NWChem,” Int. J. Quantum Chem. Symp., 29:475–483, 1995.
- N. Carriero and D. Gelernter. “Linda in Context”, Communications of the ACM, 32(4):444–458, 1989.
- T. von Eicken, V. Avula, A. Basu, and V. Buch. “Low–latency communication over ATM networks using active messages”. IEEE Micro, 15(1):46–53, 1995.
- T. De Fanti, I. Foster, M. Papka, R. Stevens, and T. Kuhfuss. Overview of the I–WAY: Wide Area Visual Supercomputing, International Journal of Supercomputer Applications, 10(2):123–130, 1996.
- I. Foster, J. Geisler, B. Nickless, W. Smith, and S. Tuecke. “Software Infrastructure for High–Performance Distributed Computing”, In Proceedings 5–th IEEE Int. Symp. HPDC, pages 562–570, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1996.
- A. S. Grimshaw, W. A. Wulf, J. C. French, A. C. Weaver, and P. F. Reynolds Jr. “Legion: The Next Logical Step Toward a Natiowide Virtual Computer”, Technical Report CS–94–21, Dept. Computer Science, University of Virginia, 1994.
- R. J. Harrison. “Portable Tools and Applications for Parallel Computers,” Int. J. Quant. Chem., pp. 847–863, 40, 1991.
- R. J. Harrison, M. F. Guest, R. A. Kendall, D. E. Bernholdt, A. T. Wong, M. S. Stave, J. L. Anchell, A. C. Hess, R. J. Littlefield, G. I. Fann, J. Nieplocha, G. S. Thomas, D. Elwood, J. Tilson, R. L. Shepard, A. F. Wagner, I. T. Foster, E. Lusk, and R. Stevens. Toward high–performance computational chemistry: II. A scalable self–consistent field program. J. Comp. Chem., 17(1):124–132, 1996.
- C. Koelbel, D. Loveman, R. Schreiber, G. S. Jr., and M. E. Zosel. The High Performance Fortran Handbook. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.
- Message Passing Interface Forum, MPI: A Message–Passing Interface, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn., May 5, 1994.
- J. Nieplocha, R. J. Harrison, and I. Foster. Explicit Management of Memory Hierarchy, In L. Grandinetti and J. Kowalik, editor, Advances in High Performance Computing, Kluwer Academic, 1997 (in press).
- J. Nieplocha, R. J. Harrison, and R. J. Littlefield. “Global Arrays: A Portable Shared–Memory Programming Model for Distributed–Memory Computers”, In Proc. Supercomputing'94, pages 340–349. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994.
- J. Nieplocha, R. J. Harrison, and R. J. Littlefield. “Global Arrays: A Nonuniform Memory Access Programming Model for High–Performance Computers”, The Journal of Supercomputing, 10:169–189, 1996.
- S. Pakin, M. Lauria, and A. Chien. “High Performance Messaging on Workstations: Illinois Fast Messages (FM) for Myrinet”, Proc. Supercomputing'95, IEEE Computer Society, 1995.
- M. Oguchi, H. Aida, and T. Saito. “A Proposal for a DSM Architecture Suitable for a Widely Distributed Environment and its Evaluation”, Proceedings 4–th IEEE Int. Symp. HPDC, pages 32–39, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995.
- J. B. Weissman and A. S. Grimshaw. “A federated model forscheduling in wide–area systems”, In Proceedings 5–th IEEE Int. Symp. HPDC, pp. 542–550, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1996.
- Shared Memory Programming in Metacomputing Environments: The Global Array Approach
The Journal of Supercomputing
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 119-136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- shared-memory programming
- NUMA memory architecture
- global arrays
- distributed arrays
- Industry Sectors