Proximate composition and selected functional properties of African Breadfruit and sweet potato flour blends
- P.I. Akubor
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Full-fat African breadfruit flour was used to replace 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70% of sweet potato flour. The chemical composition and functional properties of composite flours showed that they contains more protein, fat, and ash and less carbohydrate than sweet potato flour. With increasing level of supplementation of breadfruit, ash, protein and fat contents increased while carbohydrate decreased. The composite flours possessed higher water absorption than sweet potato flour. The water absorption capacity increased from 20% for sweet potato flour to the range of 85–120% for composite flours. The oil absorption capacities for some composite flours were higher than that for sweet potato but less than that of breadfruit. Composite flours had good foaming capacity but lacked foaming stability. The bulk density of the composite flours was found to be low which will be an advantage in the preparation of weaning food formulations.
- Okafor JC, Okolo HC (1974) Potentialities of some indigenous fruit trees of Nigeria. Paper presented at the 50th Annual Conference of Forestry Association of Nigeria.
- Ihekoronye AL, Ngoddy PO (1985) Integrated food science and technology for the tropics. London/Basimpsroko: MacMillan.
- Pearson J (1976) The chemical analysis of foods, 7th edn. Edinburgh (UK): Churchill Livingstone.
- AOAC (1984) Official methods of analysis. Washington, DC: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Osborne DR, Voogt P (1978) The analyses of nutrients in foods. London: Academic Press.
- Sosulski FW, Garratt MO, Slinkard AE (1976) Functional properties of ten legume flours. Can Inst Food Sci Tech J 9: 66-69.
- Okaka JC, Potter NN (1977) Functional and storage properties of cowpea-wheat flour blends in bread making. J Food Sci 42: 828-833. CrossRef
- Yasumatsu K, Sawada K, Moritaka S, Misaki M, Toda J, Wada T, Ishii K (1972) Whipping and emulsifying properties of soybean products. Agric Biol Chem 36: 719-725.
- Narayana K, Narasinga Rao MS (1982) Functional properties of raw and heat-processed winged bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus) flour. J Food Sci 42: 535-538.
- Steel RG, Torrie JH (1960) Principles and procedures of statistics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Lin MJY, Humbert ES, Sosulski FW (1974) Certain functional properties of sunflower meal products. J Food Sci 39: 372-376.
- Wu YV, Iglett GE (1974) Denaturation of plant proteins related to functionality and food applications. J Food Sci 39: 218-224. CrossRef
- Kinsella JE (1979) Functional properties of soy proteins J Am Oil Chem Sec 56: 254-262.
- Nakai S (1983) Structure-function relationship of food proteins with an emphasis on the importance of protein hydrophobicity. J Agric Food Chem 31: 676-683. CrossRef
- Kinsella JE, Damodara S, German B (1985) Physiochemical and functional properties of oil seeds proteins with emphasis on soy proteins. New York: Academic Press.
- Anusuya DM, Venkataraman LV (1984) Functional Properties of protein products of mass cultivated blue-green alga spirulina platensis. J Food Sci 49: 24-29. CrossRef
- Fabgemi TN, Oshodi AA (1991) Chemical composition and functional properties of full fat fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis) seed flour. Nigerian Food Journal 9: 27-32.
- Proximate composition and selected functional properties of African Breadfruit and sweet potato flour blends
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 51, Issue 1 , pp 53-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Proximate composition
- African breadfruit
- Composite flour
- Sweet potatoes
- Functional properties
- Industry Sectors
- P.I. Akubor (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Food Science and Technology, Federal Polytechnic, Kogi State, P.M.B. 1037, Idah, Nigeria