Commercial production of microalgae in the Asia-Pacific rim
- Yuan-Kun Lee
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There are around 110 commercial producers of microalgae in the Asia-Pacific region, with annual production capacity ranging from 3 to 500 T. About nine-tenth of the algal cultivation plants are located in Asia. The commercially cultivated microalgae include Chlorella, Spirulina, Dunaliella, Nannochloris, Nitzschia, Crypthecodinium, Schizochytrium, Tetraselmis, Skeletonema, Isochrysisand Chaetoceros. Most of the commercially produced algal biomass is being marketed as health food, in the forms of tablets and capsules. Algae and their extract are also included in noodles, wine, beverages, breakfast cereals and cosmetics.
- Annual Report of Finance Ministry of Japan (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997). Finance Ministry of Japan, Tokyo. (In Japanese).
- AOAC Official Method 970.66: Light and heavy filth (1995) In Cunniff P (ed.), Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, 16th Edn., Vol. 1, Chapter 16. AOAC International, Gaithersburg: 4–5.
- Barclay, WR, Maeger, KM, Abril, JR (1994) Heterotrophic production of long chain omega-3 fatty acids utilizing algae and algae-like microorganisms. J. appl. Phycol. 6: pp. 123-129 CrossRef
- Becker, EW (1994) Microalgae Biotechnology & Microbiology. Cambridge University, Cambridge
- Directory of Taiwan Factories of All Professions (1994) Industrial Statistical Survey Coordinating Department of the Economy Office, Taipei, Taiwan: 16–17. (In Chinese).
- Indian Standard 12895 (1990), Amended No. 1, June 1991 for Spirulina food gradespecification.
- Leung, AY, Foster, S (1996) Encyclopedia of Common Natural Ingredients. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Survey of Health and Speciality Food Market (1994) Global Economy Agency, Taipei, Taiwan: 30–42 (in Chinese).
- The Health Industry News of Japan (1996, 1997) Chiyoda, Tokyo. (in Japanese)
- Commercial production of microalgae in the Asia-Pacific rim
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 9, Issue 5 , pp 403-411
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- annual production
- Industry Sectors
- Yuan-Kun Lee (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, National University of Singapore, Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore, 119260