The Validity of Unstructured Panel Interviews: More than Meets the Eye?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
When considered at the aggregate level, a weak level of validity was found for unstructured panel interviews in the prediction of the job performance and training success of corrections officers. Aggregate analyses also revealed that panel judgments made a small incremental contribution to the prediction of job performance relative to paper credentials and that the two sources of information were only weakly related. However, considerable variation in simple and incremental validity was found at the level of individual panel members and among subgroups of panels. The findings suggest that aggregate analyses underestimate the validity of the typical unstructured panel interview.
- Campion, M. A., Pursell, E. D., & Brown, B. K. (1988). Structured interviewing: Raising the psychometric properties of the employment interview. Personnel Psychology, 41, 25-42.
- Davey, B. (May 8, 1984). Are all oral panels created equal? A study of differential validity across oral panels. Paper presented at the annual conference of the IPMA Assessment Council.
- Dipboye, R. L. (1989). Threats to the incremental validity of interviewer judgments. In R. W. Eder, & G. R. Ferris (eds), The Employment Interview: Theory, Research, and Practice. Newbury Park: Sage, pp. 45-60.
- Dipboye, R. L. (1992). Selection Interviews: Process Perspectives. Cincinnati: South-Western Publishing.
- Dougherty, T. W., Ebert, R. J., Callender, J. C. (1986). Policy capturing in the employment interview. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 9-15.
- Dreher, G. F., Ash, R. A., & Hancock, P. (1988). The role of the traditional research design in underestimating the validity of the employment interview. Personnel Psychology, 41, 315-327.
- Kinicki, A. J., Lockwood, C. A., Hom, P. W., & Griffeth, R. W. (1990). Interviewer predictions of applicant qualifications and interviewer validity: Aggregate and individual analyses. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75, 477-486.
- Marchese, M. C., & Muchinsky, P. M. (1993). The validity of the employment interview: A meta-analysis. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 1, 18-26.
- McDaniel, M. A., Whetzel, D. L., Schmidt, F. L., & Maurer, S. (1994). The validity of employment interviews: A comprehensive review and meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 79, 599-616.
- Pulakos, E., Schmitt, N., Whitney, D., & Smith, M. (1996). Individual differences in interviewer ratings: The impact of standardization, consensus discussion, and sampling error on the validity of a structured interview. Personnel Psychology, 49, 85-102.
- Ree, M. J., & Earles, J. A. (1991). Predicting training success: Not much more than g. Personnel Psychology, 44, 321-332.
- Roth, P. L., & Campion, J. E. (1992). An analysis of the predictive power of the panel interview and pre-employment tests. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 65, 51-60.
- Searcy, C. A., Woods, P. N., Gatewood, R., & Lance, C. (April, 1993). The validity of structured interviews: A meta-analytical search for moderators. Presented at the Society of Industrial Organizational Psychology, San Francisco.
- Waldron, L. A. (1974). The validity of an employment interview independent of psychometric variables. Australian Psychologist, 9, 68-77.
- Walters, L. C., Miller, M. R., & Ree, M. J. (1993). Structured interviews for pilot selection: No incremental validity. The International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 3 (1), 25-38.
- Wiesner, W. H., & Cronshaw, S. R. (1988). The moderating impact of interview format and degree of structure on interview validity. The Journal of Occupational Psychology, 61, 275-290.
- Wright, P. M., Lichtenfels, P. A., & Pursell, E. D. (1989). The structured interview: Additional studies and a meta-analysis. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 62, 191-199.
- Zedeck, S., Tziner, A., & Middlestadt, S. E. (1983). Interviewer validity and reliability: An individual analysis approach. Personnel Psychology, 36, 355-370.
- The Validity of Unstructured Panel Interviews: More than Meets the Eye?
Journal of Business and Psychology
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 35-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Employment interviews
- personnel selection
- panel interviews
- Industry Sectors