Swarming, Delayed Sexual Maturation of Males, and Mating Behavior of Fopius arisanus (Sonan) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fopius arisanus is unusual among hymenopterous parasitoids in males having an obligatory premating period. We confirmed Hagen's (1953) view that sperm takes several days to migrate from the testes to the seminal vesicles. Males mated for the first time only 4 days after emergence, the time that sperm was first ever recorded in the seminal vesicles. In the field, we studied the sexual maturation of F. arisanus males in relation to their behavior. In general, sexually immature males were found in male-only swarms that persisted over several days in host tree canopies. Mature males were usually found in loose aggregations in the vegetation beneath host trees. Females entered these loose aggregations and were mated, whereas they were generally absent from swarms in the canopy. Swarming is therefore apparently not a primary component of the sexual communication system of the species. We describe, for the first time in F. arisanus, the behavioral sequence that accompanies the intersexual communication that leads to mating. Males probably release a volatile chemical that attracts females from a distance, but we have only circumstantial evidence for this. We also postulate that males may form aggregations to amplify the effects of this distance attractant. In the vicinity of males, females release a pheromone that attracts males, a process we demonstrated with female-baited sticky traps.
- Benson, R. B. (1944). Swarming flight of Blacus tripudians Haliday. Entomol. Month. Mag. 80: 21.
- Clausen, C. P. (1978). Tephritidae (Trypetidae, Trupaneidae). In Clausen, C. P. (ed.), Introduced Parasites and Predators of Arthropod Pests and Weeds: A World Review, Agr. Handbk. No. 480, U.S. Dept. Agr., pp. 320-335.
- Downes, J. A. (1969). The swarming and mating flight of Diptera. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 14: 271-298.
- Eller, F. J., Bartelt, R. J., Jones, R. L., and Kulman, H. M. (1984). Ethyl (Z)-9-hexadecanoate, a sex pheromone of Syndipnus rubiginosus, a sawfly parasitoid. J. Chem. Ecol. 10: 291-300.
- Hagen, K. S. (1953). A premating period in certain species of genus Opius (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). Proc. Hawaii. Entomol. Soc. 15: 115-116.
- Haramoto, F. H. (1953). Observations on the biology of Opius oophilus Fullaway (Braconidae: Hymenoptera). Eighth Pacific Sci. Congr. Manila 3: 1275-1289.
- Hunter, D. M. (1979). Swarming, mating and resting behaviour of three species of black fly (Diptera: Simuliidae). J. Aust. Entomol. Soc. 18: 1-6.
- Lewis, W. J., Snow, J.W., and Jones, R. L. (1971). A pheromone trap for studying populations of Cardiochiles nigriceps, a parasite of Heliothis virescens. J. Econ. Entomol. 64: 1417-1421.
- Marchand, R. P. (1984). Field observations on swarming and mating of Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes in Tanzania. Netherlands J. Zool. 34: 367-387.
- Nadel, H. (1987). Male swarms discovered in Chalcidoidea (Hymenoptera: Encyrtidae, Pteromalidae). Pan-Pacific Entomol. 63: 242-246.
- Quicke, D. L. J. (1997). Parasitic Wasps, Chapman & Hall, London.
- Ramadan, M. M., Wong, T. T.Y., and Beardsley, J.W. (1992). Reproductive behavior of Biosteres arisanus (Sonan) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae), an egg-larval parasitoid of the oriental fruit fly. Biol. Contr. 2: 28-34.
- Rungrojwanich, K. (1994). The Life Cycle, Mating Behavior and Sexual Communication Signals of Diachasmimorpha kraussii (Fullaway) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae), a Parasitoid of Dacine Fruit Flies (Diptera: Tephritidae), Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Snowball, G. J. (1966). Status of introduced parasites of Queensland fruit fly (Strummeta tryoni), 1962–1965. Aust. J. Agr. Res. 17: 719-739.
- Southwood, T. R. E. (1957). Observations on swarming in Braconidae (Hymenoptera) and Coniopterygidae (Neuroptera). Proc. R. Entomol. Soc. Lond. A 32: 80-82.
- Statsoft (1994). Statistica, Vol. III. Statistics II, Statsoft, Tulsa.
- Sullivan, R. T. (1981). Insect swarming and mating. Fla. Entomol. 64: 44-65.
- Thornhill, R., and Alcock, J. (1983). The Evolution of Insect Mating Systems, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- van Achterberg, C. (1977). The function of swarming in Blacus species (Hymenoptera, Braconidae, Helconinae). Ent. Ber. Amst. 37: 151-152.
- van den Assem, J. (1986). Mating behaviour in parasitic wasps. In Waage, J., and Greathead, D. (eds.), Insect Parasitoids, Academic Press, London, pp. 137-167.
- Swarming, Delayed Sexual Maturation of Males, and Mating Behavior of Fopius arisanus (Sonan) (Hymenoptera: Braconidae)
Journal of Insect Behavior
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 797-813
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- male sexual maturation
- mating behavior
- Fopius arisanus
- male aggregation
- sex pheromone
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Zoology and Entomology, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, 4072, Australia
- 2. The National Crop Protection Center, University of the Philippines at Los Baños College, Laguna, Philippines, 4031