Epidemiological relationships between Aeromonas strains isolated from symptomatic children and household environments as determined by ribotyping
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Ribotyping was used to study the epidemiology of Aeromonasassociated gastro-enteritis in young children. Ribotyping patterns of 29 Aeromonasstrains (16 Aeromonas caviae, 8 Aeromonas hydrophila, 3 Aeromonas eucrenophila, 1 Aeromonas veronii, and 1 Aeromonas encheleia) isolated from primary stool cultures of sick children were compared using the GelCompare software with patterns of 104 strains (39 Aeromonas eucrenophila, 29 Aeromonas caviae, 11 Aeromonas encheleia, 10 Aeromonas hydrophila, 6 Aeromonas bestiarum, 3 Aeromonas veronii, 3 Aeromonas popoffiiand 3 Aeromonas media) isolated from their household environment in order to investigate the route of transmission of these bacteria. Fifteen strains (≈47%) isolated from stool cultures of patients showed the same riboprofile as strains found in contacts or environment. In particular, three strains isolated from patients shared the same riboprofile with strains found in their domestic environment. The wide diffusion of potentially pathogenic Aeromonasstrains in our household samples, and the high rate of asymptomatic carriers among family members, suggested that predisposing factors of the host could make children prone to an Aeromonas-related intestinal disease.
- Holmes P, Niccolls LM, Sartory DP. The ecology of mesophilic Aeromonas in the aquatic environment. In: Austin B, Altwegg M, Gosling PJ, Joseph S (eds). The Genus Aeromonas. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 1996: 127-150.
- Austin B, Altwegg M, Gosling PJ, Joseph S (eds). The Genus Aeromonas. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 1996.
- Moyer NP, Martinetti Lucchini G, Holcomb LA, Hall NH, Altwegg M. Application of ribotyping for differentiating aeromonads isolated from clinical and environmental sources. Appl Environ Microbiol 1992; 58: 1940-1944.
- Tonolla M, Demarta A, Peduzzi R. Multilocus genetic relationships between clinical and environmental Aeromonas strains. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1991; 81: 193-200.
- Joseph SW, Carnahan AM, Brayton PR, et al. Aeromonas jandaei and Aeromonas veronii dual infection of human wound following aquatic exposure. J Clin Microbiol 1991; 29: 565-569.
- Altwegg M, Martinetti Lucchini G, Luèthy-Hottenstein J, Rohrbach M. Aeromonas-associated gastroenteritis after consumption of contaminated shrimp. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1991; 10: 44-45.
- Kirov SM. The public health significance of Aeromonas spp. in foods. Int J Food Microbiol 1993; 20: 179-198.
- Moyer NP, Martinetti G, Luèthy-Hottenstein J, Altwegg M. Value of rRNA gene restriction patterns of Aeromonas spp. for epidemiological investigations. Curr Microbiol 1992; 24: 15-21.
- Gaia V, Poloni C, Peduzzi R. Epidemiological typing of Legionella pneumophila with ribotyping. Eur J Epidemiol 1994; 10: 303-306.
- Laurent F, Carlotti A, Boiron P, Villard J, Freney J. Ribotyping: A tool for taxonomy and identification of the Nocardia asteroides complex species. J Clin Microbiol 1996; 35: 1079-1082.
- Poilane I, Cruaud P, Lachassinne E, et al. Enterobacter cloacae cross-colonization in neonates demonstrated by ribotyping. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1993; 12: 820-826.
- Martinetti Lucchini G, Altwegg M. rRNA gene re-striction patterns as taxonomic tools for the genus Aeromonas. Int J Syst Bacteriol 1992; 42: 384-389.
- Altwegg M, Altwegg-Bissig R, Demarta A, Peduzzi R, Reeves MW, Swaminathan B. Comparison of four 452 typing methods for Aeromonas species. J Diarrhoeal Dis Res 1988; 6: 88-94.
- Kuijper EJ, van Alphen L, Leenders E, Zanen HC. Typing of Aeromonas strains by DNA restriction en-donuclease analysis and polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis of cell envelopes. J Clin Microbiol 1989; 27: 1280-1285.
- Isenberg HD (ed). Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook. Washington, DC: American Society for Microbiology, 1992.
- Demarta A, Tonolla M, Caminada AP, Ruggeri N, Peduzzi R. Signature region within the 16S rDNA sequences of Aeromonas popoffi. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1999; 172: 239-246.
- Millership SE. Identification. In: Austin B, Altwegg M, Gosling PJ, Joseph S (eds). The Genus Aeromonas. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 1996: 85-107.
- Ausubel FM, Brent R, Kingston RE, et al. (eds). Current protocols in molecular biology. New York: Green Publishing Associated and Wiley Interscience, 1989.
- Brosius J, Ullrich A, Raker MA, et al. Construction and fine mapping of recombinant plasmids containing the rrnB ribosomal operon of E. coli. Plasmid 1981; 6: 112-118.
- Bloomfield SF, Scott E. Cross-contamination and infection in the domestic environment and the role of chemical disinfectants. J Appl Microbiol 1997; 83: 1-9.
- Epidemiological relationships between Aeromonas strains isolated from symptomatic children and household environments as determined by ribotyping
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 16, Issue 5 , pp 447-453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Epidemiological typing
- Industry Sectors