Methotrexate Esters of Poly(Ethylene Oxide)-Block-Poly(2-Hydroxyethyl-L-Aspartamide). Part I: Effects of the Level of Methotrexate Conjugation on the Stability of Micelles and on Drug Release
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose. To study the effects of hydrophobicity of the micelle-formingblock copolymeric drug conjugate, methotrexate (MTX) esters ofpoly-(ethylene oxide)-block-poly(2-hydroxyethyl-L-aspartamide) (MTXesters of PEO-b-PHEA), on the stability of micelles and on drug release.
Methods. MTX esters of PEO-b-PHEA with three levels of MTXconjugation were synthesized. Size distribution of the micelles wasmeasured by dynamic light scattering (DLS). The critical micelleconcentration (CMC) was determined by a light scattering study. Sizeexclusion high performance liquid chromatography (SEC-HPLC) wasused to study the equilibrium between unimers and micelles, and releaseof MTX at pH 7.4.
Results. MTX esters of PEO-b-PHEA with MTX substitution of 7.4%,22%, and 54% were prepared. The conjugates formed micelles basedon DLS. The stability of the micelles correlated with the level of MTXconjugation. The conjugate with 54% MTX had a lower CMC (0.019mg/mL) than the conjugates with 22% MTX (0.081 mg/mL) or 7.4%MTX (0.14 mg/mL). Micelle dissociation was significantly slower forthe conjugate with 54% MTX than that with 22% and 7.4% MTX.Slower release of MTX from the micelles was also observed for theconjugate with the higher MTX attachment.
Conclusions. MTX esters of PEO-b-PHEA can be structurallymodulated by varying the degree of MTX substitution, which in turn changesthe hydrophobicity of the conjugate, thereby modifying micelle stabilityand controlling drug release.
- Allen, C., Yu, Y., Maysinger, D., Eisenberg, A. (1998) Polycaprolactone-b-poly(ethylene oxide) block copolymer micelles as a novel drug delivery vehicle for neurotrophic agents FK506 and L-685,818. Bioconjugate Chem. 9: pp. 564-572
- Kataoka, K., Kwon, G. S., Yokoyama, M., Okano, T., Sakurai, Y. (1993) Block copolymer micelles as vehicles for drug delivery. J. Controlled Release 24: pp. 119-132
- Zhang, X., Jackson, J. K., Burt, H. M. (1996) Development of amphiphilic diblock copolymers as micellar carriers of taxol. Int. J. Pharm. 132: pp. 195-206
- Kwon, G. S., Naito, M., Yokoyama, M., Okano, T., Sakurai, Y., Kataoka, K. (1993) Micelles based on ab block copolymers of poly(ethylene oxide) and poly(β-benzyl l-aspartate). Langmuir 9: pp. 945-949
- Kataoka, K. Targetable polymeric drugs. In: Park, K. eds. (1997) Controlled Drug Delivery: Challenges and Strategies. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., pp. 49-71
- Gorshkova, M. Y., Stotskaya, L. L. (1998) Micelle-like macromolecular systems for controlled release of daunomycin. Polymers for Advanced Technologies 9: pp. 362-367
- Yokoyama, M., Sugiyama, T., Okano, T., Sakurai, Y., Naito, M., Kataoka, K. (1993) Analysis of micelle formation of an adriamycin-conjugated poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(aspartic acid) block copolymer by gel permeation chromatography. Pharm. Res. 10: pp. 895-899
- Nagarajan, R., Barry, M., Ruckenstein, E. (1986) Unusual selectivity in solubilization by block copolymer micelles. Langmuir 2: pp. 210-215
- Kwon, G. S., Suwa, M. Y., Okano, T., Sakurai, Y., Kataoka, K. (1995) Physical entrapment of adriamycin in ab block copolymer micelles. Pharm. Res. 12: pp. 192-195
- Yokoyama, M., Okano, T., Sakurai, Y., Ekimoto, H., Skibazaki, C., Kataoka, K. (1991) Toxicity and antitumor activity against solid tumors of micelle-forming polymeric anticancer drug and its extremely long circulation in blood. Cancer Res. 29: pp. 17-23
- Li, Y., Kwon, G. S. (1999) Micelle-like structures of poly(ethylene oxide)-block-poly(2-hydroxyethyl aspartamide)-methotrexate conjugates. Colloids Surf. B: Biointerfaces 16: pp. 217-226
- Yokoyama, M., Inoue, S., Kataoka, K., Yui, N., Sakurai, Y. (1987) Preparation of adriamycin-conjugated poly(ethylene glycol)-poly-(aspartic acid) block copolymer: a new type of polymeric anticancer drug. Macromol. Chem. Rapid Commun. 8: pp. 431-435
- Zhang, L., Shen, H., Eisenberg, A. (1997) Phase separation behavior and crew cut micelle formation of polystyrene-b-poly(acrylic acid) copolymer in solutions. Macromolecules 30: pp. 1001-1011
- Tancrede, P., Barwicz, J., Jutras, S., Gruda, I. (1990) The effect of surfactants on the aggregation state of amphotericin B. Biochim.-Biophys. Acta 1030: pp. 289-295
- Yurro, N. J., Gratzel, M., Braun, A. M. (1980) Photochemical processes in micellar system. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 19: pp. 675-696
- Methotrexate Esters of Poly(Ethylene Oxide)-Block-Poly(2-Hydroxyethyl-L-Aspartamide). Part I: Effects of the Level of Methotrexate Conjugation on the Stability of Micelles and on Drug Release
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 607-611
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- block copolymer
- polymeric conjugate
- drug delivery
- Industry Sectors