Periodic review and joint replenishment in stochastic demand environments
In this paper we consider periodic review systems under stochastic demands. First, we study the single product periodic review problem and propose a simple solution procedure which is near optimal. Then, given the existence of this simple procedure, we study the joint replenishment problem for multiple items under stochastic demands and suggest simple heuristics which provide very good results. We find the simple procedures combined with the robustness of the cost function to be very attractive in other applications which require coordination of cycle times under stochastic demands.
- Brown, R.G. (1967) Decision Rules for Inventory Management, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, NY. p. 48.
- Goyal, S.K. (1974) Determination of optimum packaging frequency of items jointly replenished. Management Science, 21, 436–443.
- Silver, E.A. (1976) A simple method of determining order quantities in joint replenishments under deterministic demand. Management Science, 22, 1351–1361.
- Goyal, S.K. and Belton, A.S. (1979) On a simple method of determining order quantities in joint replenishments under deterministic demand. Management Science, 25, 604.
- Kaspi, M. and Rosenblatt, M.J. (1983) An improvement of Silver's algorithm for the joint replenishment problem. IIE Transactions, 15, 264–267.
- Atkins, D.R. and Iyogun, P.O. (1988) A heuristic with lower bound performance guarantee for the multi-product dynamic lotsize problem. IIE Transactions, 20, 369–373.
- Silver, E.A. and Meal, H.C. (1973) A heuristic for selecting lot size requirements for the case of a deterministic time-varying demand rate and discrete opportunities for replenishment. Production and Inventory Management, 14, 64–74.
- Jackson, P., Maxwell, W. and Muckstadt, J. (1985) The joint replenishment problem with a power-of-two restriction. IIE Transactions, 17, 25–32.
- Roundy, R. (1985) 98%-effective integer-ratio lot-sizing for one-warehouse multi-retailer systems. Management Science, 31, 1416–1430.
- Roundy, R. (1986) A 98%-effective lot-sizing rule for a multi-product, multi-stage production/inventory system. Mathematics of Operations Research, 11, 699–727.
- Muckstadt, J.A. and Roundy, R.O. (1987) Multi-item, one-warehouse, multi-retailer distribution systems. Management Science, 33, 1613–1621.
- Federgruen, A., Queyranne, M. and Zheng, Y.-S. (1992) Simple power-of-two policies are close to optimal in a general class of production/distribution networks with general joint setup costs. Mathematics of Operations Research, 17, 951–963.
- Atkins, D., Queyranne, M. and Sun, D. (1992) Lot sizing policies for finite production rate assembly systems. Operations Research, 40, 126–141.
- Atkins, D. and Sun, D. (1995) 98%-effective lot sizing for series inventory systems with backlogging, Operations Research, 42, 335–345.
- Federgruen, A. and Zheng, Y.-S. (1992) The joint replenishment problem with general joint cost structures. Operations Research, 40, 384–403.
- Federgruen, A. and Tzur, M. (1994) The joint replenishment problem with time-varying costs and demands: efficient, asymptotic and 2-optimal solutions. Operations Research, 42, 1067–1086.
- Balintfy, J.L. (1964) On a basic class of multi-item inventory problems. Management Science, 10, 287–297.
- Silver, E.A. (1974) A control system for coordinated inventory replenishment. International Journal of Production Research, 12, 647–671.
- Silver, E.A. (1981) Establishing reorder points in the (S, c, s) coordinated control system under compound Poisson demand. International Journal of Production Research, 19, 743–750.
- Federgruen, A., Groenevelt H. and Tijms, H.C. (1984) Coordinated replenishments in a multi-item inventory system with compound Poisson demands. Management Science, 30, 344–357.
- Atkins, D.R. and Iyogun, P.O. (1988) Periodic versus ‘can-order’ policies for coordinated multi-item inventory systems. Management Science, 34, 791–796.
- Silver, E.A. and Peterson, R. (1985) Decision Systems for Inventory Management and Production Planning, Wiley, New York, NY. p. 140.
- Hadley, G. and Whitin, T.M. (1963) Analysis of Inventory Systems, Prentice-Hall, p. 239.
- Zheng, Y.-S. (1992) On properties of stochastic inventory systems. Management Science, 38, 87–103.
- Conte, S.D. and de Boor, C. (1980) Elementary Numerical Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY. p. 9.
- Goyal, S.K., (1973) Determination of economic packaging frequency for items jointly replenished. Management Science, 20, 232–235.
- Eynan, A. and Kropp, D.H. (1995) Periodic review and joint replenishment in stochastic demand environments. Working Paper, John M. Olin School of Business, Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130.
- Periodic review and joint replenishment in stochastic demand environments
Volume 30, Issue 11 , pp 1025-1033
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links