Sexual and non-sexual intrafamilial spread of hepatitis C virus: Intrafamilial transmission of HCV
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The rate of intrafamilial transmission of the hepatitis C virus (HCV) was investigated in 90 family members of 41 index patients with type C chronic liver disease. Antibody to HCV (anti-HCV) was detected by the EIA method (Abbott-Axsym Sys) and Hepatitis C virus RNA, by the polymerase chain reaction (Nested PCR). We also investigated the presence of anti-HCV in 350 healthy persons (control group). The subjects in the study included 38 spouses, 45 children and others (1 relative and 6 parents). Four family members including 3/38 (7.8%) spouses and 1 sister were found to be positive for anti HCV antibodies but none had HCV RNA. Anti-HCV was not detected in the children of index patients. The prevalence of anti-HCV in the families of index patients was significantly higher than in the controls (4.3% versus 0.85%) (p = 0.0355). We concluded that the intrafamilial transmission of HCV is possible but occurs at a low rate.
- Sherlock S. Viral hepatitis. Lancet 1992; 339: 802.
- Nishioka K. Epidemiological studies on hepatitis C virus infection: Detection, prevalence, exposure and prevention. Intervirology 1994; 37: 58.
- Yenen ş. Hepatitis C virus. In: Willke TA, Söyletir G, Doanay M (eds), Infectious Disease. Istanbul: Nobel Medical, 1996: 700–704.
- Dazza MC, Menesses LV, Girard PM, et al. Hepatitis C virus antibody and hepatocellularcarcinoma. Lancet 1990; 335: 116.
- Alter MJ, Hadler SC, Judson FN, et al. Risk factors for acute non-A non-B Hepatitis in the United States and association with hepatitis C virus infection. JAMA 1990; 264: 2231–2235.
- Alter MJ, Coleman PJ, Alexander J, et al. Importance of heterosexual activity in the transmission of hepatitis B and non-A non-B hepatitis. JAMA 1989; 262: 1201–1205.
- Lam JPH, MacOmish F, Burns SM, et al. Infrequent vertical transmission of hepatitis C virus. J Infect Dis 1993; 7: 572–576.
- Shapiro NC. Transmission of hepatitis viruses. Ann Intern Med 1994; 120: 82–84.
- Everhart JE, Bisceglie AM, Murray LM, et al. Risk for non-A non-B (type C) hepatitis through sexual or household contact with chronic carriers. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112: 544–545.
- Andreone P, Grammenzi A, Cursaro C, et al. Familial cluster of hepatitis C virus type I. J Infect Dis 1994; 170: 1042–1043.
- Novati R, Thiers V, D'Arminio Morfarte A, et al. Mother to child transmssion of hepatitis C virus detected by nested PCR. J Infect Dis 1992; 165: 720–723.
- Nakashima K, Ikematsu H, Hayashi J, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus among the population of an endemic area of Japan. JAMA 1995; 274 (18): 1459–1461.
- Nou CH, Chen WY, Kao JH, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus in hemodialysis patients. J Med Virol 1995; 45(4): 381–385.
- Riestra S, Suares A, Radrigo L. Transmission of hepatitis C virus. Ann Intern Med 1990; 113(1): 411–412.
- Wang HT, Wang HT, Lin JT, et al. Hepatitis C virus RNA in saliva of patients with posttransfusion hepatitis C infection. Lancet 1991; 337: 48.
- Kamitsukasa H, Harada H, Yakura M, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus. Lancet 1989; 2: 987.
- Hess G, Massing A, Rossol S, et al. Hepatitis C virus and sexual transmission. Lancet 1989; 2: 987.
- Tajima K, Shimatohno K, Shimasuke O. Natural horizontal transmission of HCV in microepidemic town in Japan. Lancet 1991; 337: 1410–1411.
- Kaymakoğ lu S, Ökten A, Çakalolu Y, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of HCV. J Klimik 1992; 3: 1–3.
- Ertem S, Özütemiz Ö, İşler M, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus. Turkish J Gastroenterology 1994; 5(3): 508–511.
- Nakashima K, Kashiwagi S, Hayahi J, et al. Sexual transmission of hepatitis C virus amongfemale prostitutes and patients with sexually transmitted diseases in Fukuoka Huyushai, Japan. Am J Epdemiol 1992; 136 (9): 1132–1137.
- Lambruschini N, Costa J, Sanchez-Tapias JM, et al. Perinatal transmission of hepatitis C virus from a mother without detectable antibodies to the virus. Clin Infect Dis 1994; 18: 1027.
- Reesing HW, Wong VCW, Ip HMH, et al. Mother to infant transmission and hepatitis C virus. Lancet 1990; 335: 1217.
- Reinus JF, Leikin EL, Alter HJ, et al. Failure to detect vertical transmission of hepatitis C virus. Ann Intern Med 1992; 11: 881–886.
- Thaler MM, Park CK, Landers DV, et al. Vertical transmission of hepatitis C virus. Lancet 1991; 338: 17–18.
- Nishiguchi S, Kuroki T, Fukuda K, et al. Familial clustering of HCV. Lancet 1992; 339: 1486.
- Gürbüz AK, Doğal K, Gülşen M, et al. Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus. Turkish J Gastroenterology 1993; 3: 405–408.
- Sexual and non-sexual intrafamilial spread of hepatitis C virus: Intrafamilial transmission of HCV
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 225-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Hepatitis C virus
- Industry Sectors