Nordic Medical Birth Registers in epidemiological research
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This review discusses the use of Nordic Medical Birth Registers (MBRs) in epidemiological studies, paying special attention to the topics that have been investigated and to other data sources that increase the usefulness of MBRs. We divided the reviewed studies into four groups according to the data sources on which they were based: (1) studies using MBR data only; (2) studies combining maternal or paternal background information, obtained from other data sources, with MBR data; (3) studies combining MBR data with subsequent outcome information on newborns; and (4) studies using information about consecutive pregnancies and generations. Our review shows that MBRs are good sources for studying the following topics: maternal biological and obstetric background; interventions and health care during pregnancy and birth; newborns' short-term outcome; and the relations between these factors. In addition, the usefulness of MBRs increases when the data they contain are combined with data from other sources. We found that data from more than twenty different sources have been linked with MBR data in the Nordic counties. As time passes, national MBRs become a useful source of information for studies on consecutive pregnancies or generations. In addition, the associations between pregnancy, delivery, perinatal health and long-term outcome can be studied by using an MBR as the basic data source.
- Barker, DJP eds. (1992) Fetal and infant origins of adult disease. British Medical Journal, Plymouth
- Amnell G. Mortalitet och kronisk morbiditet i barnåldern. Samfundet Folkhälsan. Helsinki, 1974 (in Swedish).
- Rantakallio, P, von Wendt, L. (1986) Mental retardation and subnormity in a birth cohort of 12,000 children in Northern Finland. Am J Mental Def 4: pp. 380-387
- Rantakallio, P. (1988) The longitudinal study of the Northern Finland birth cohort of 1986. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2: pp. 58-88
- Bakketeig, LS. (1991) Perinatal epidemiology — a Nordic challenge. Scand J Soc Med 19: pp. 145-147
- Teperi, J. (1993) A Multi-method approach to the assessment of data quality in the Finnish Medical Birth Registry. J Epidemiol and Comm Health 47: pp. 242-247
- Derom, R, Pelfrene, E, Vlietinck, R, Thiery, M. (1989) Organisation of obstetrical care in Belgium. Biol Neonate 55: pp. 63-69
- Socioekonomiska förhållanden och förlossningsutfall i Sverige. EpC-rapport 2: 1996. Socialstyrelsen, 1996 (in Swedish).
- Meriläinen J, Gissler M, Hemminki E, Teperi J. Finnish Perinatal Statistics 1993. Stakes Tilastotiedote 18: 1995.
- Teperi J. Use of Registry Data in the Analysis of Medical Practices — Cesarean Birth in the Finnish Medical Birth Registry. Stakes Research Reports 47. Helsinki, 1994.
- Gissler, M, Teperi, J, Hemminki, E, Meriläinen, J. (1995) Data quality after restructuring a nationwide medical birth registry. Scand J Soc Med 23: pp. 75-80
- Socialstyrelsen: Kvaliteten av medicinskt födelse register, 1974. Stockholm, 1977 (in Swedish).
- Socialstyrelsen. Kvaliteten av medicinskt födelse register, 1986. No. 33620.436/88. Stockholm, 1988 (in Swedish).
- Cnattingius, S, Ericson, A, Gunnarskog, J, Källén, B. (1990) A Quality Study of a Medical Birth Registry. Scand J Soc Med 18: pp. 143-148
- Aarøy Lundgren R. Reliabiliteten av medisinsk fødelseregistrering — hvor pålitlige er opplysningene? Eksamenoppgave i folkehelsevitenskap. Institutt for samfunnmedisin. Universitetet i Tromsø 1989 (in Norwegian).
- Bardy, AH, Seppälä, T, Lillsunde, P, Kataja, JM, Koskela, P, Pikkarainen, J, Hiilesmaa, VK. (1993) Objectively measured tobacco exposure during pregnancy: neonatal effects and relation to maternal smoking. Br J Obstetr Gyn 100: pp. 721-726
- Pradat, P. (1993) Maternal occupation and congenital heart defects: a case-control study. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 65: pp. 13-18
- Carlgren, LE, Ericson, A, Källén, B. (1987) Monitoring of congenital cardica defects. Pediatr Cardiol 8: pp. 247-256
- Hemminki, E, Meriläinen, J, Teperi, (1993) Reporting of malformations in routine health registers. Teratology 48: pp. 227-231
- Källén, B, Bertollini, R, Castilla, E, Czeizel, A, Knudsen, LB, Martinez-Frias, ML (1986) A joint international study on the epidemiology of hypospadias. Acta Paediatr Scand Suppl 324: pp. 1-52
- Källén, B. (1988) Case control study of hypospadias, based on registry information. Teratology 38: pp. 45-50
- Gissler, M, Ollila, E, Teperi, J, Hemminki, E. (1994) Impact of Induced Abortions and Statistical Definitions on Perinatal Mortality Figures. Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 8: pp. 391-400
- Högberg, U, Innala, E, Sandström, A. (1944) Maternal mortality in Sweden 1980–1988. Obstet Gynecol 84: pp. 240-244
- Bakketeig, LS, Hoffman, HJ. (1983) The tendency to repeat gestational age and birth weight in successive births, related to perinatal survival. Acta Obstetr Gynecol Scand 62: pp. 385-392
- Magnus, P, Bakketeig, LS, Skjærven, R. (1993) Correlations of birth weight and gestational age across generations. Ann Hum Biol 22: pp. 89-97
- Barker, DJP. (1994) Mother's, babies and disease in later life. British Medical Journal, Plymouth
- Kud, D, Davey Smith, G. (1993) When is mortality risk determined? Historical insights into a current debate. Soc Hist of Med 6: pp. 101-123
- Lynge, E. (1995) New draft of European directive on confidential data. Br Med J 310: pp. 1024
- Nordic Medical Birth Registers in epidemiological research
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 169-175
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Health outcomes
- Medical Birth Register
- Perinatal health
- Record linkage
- Industry Sectors