Factors Involved in Diagnostic Delay of Testicular Cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In testicular cancer, which is one of the highly curable cancers, the beneficial effect of early diagnosis on survival has been well accepted for years. This study was planned to determine the probable factors involved in diagnostic delay of testicular cancer.
A total of 140 patients with testicular cancer were included in this study. We attempted to find a relationship between the mode of presentation, stage of the tumour, patients' socioeconomic status and the delay in diagnosis.
Majority of patients presented with scrotal pain (49.3%). No significant correlation was found between the mode of presentation and stage of the disease (p>0.05). The median time of delay in diagnosis was 5.4 months. The stage at presentation was not influenced by the delay in diagnosis. Similarly the annual income and the educational level of the patients had no significant impact on the delay in diagnosis.
No effect of delay in diagnosis on the stage at presentation could be demonstrated in our study. Our results indicate that in this country people are not thoroughly educated about the importance of routine self-examination of the testes. It must also be emphasized that painful testicular masses need to be evaluated carefully to rule out malignancy.
- Fraley, E. E., Lange, P. H., Kennedy, B. J. (1979) Germ-cell testicular cancer in adults. N. Engl. J. Med. 301: pp. 1370
- Bosl, G. J., Lange, P. H., Fraley, E. E. (1980) Vinblastine, bleomycin and cisdiammine-dichloroplatinum in the treatment of advanced testicular carcinoma. Am. J. Med. 68: pp. 492
- Garnick, M. B., Cannellos, G. P., Richie, J. P., Stark, J. J. (1979) Sequential combination chemotherapy and surgery for disseminated testicular cancer: cisdichlorodiammine-platinum (II), vinblastine and bleomycin remission induction therapy followed by cyclophosphamide and adriamycin. Cancer Treat. Rep. 63: pp. 1681
- Post, G. J., Belis, J. A. (1980) Delayed presentation of testicular tumours. South Med. J. 73: pp. 33
- Bosl, G. J., Vogelzang, N. J., Goldman, A. (1981) Impact of delay in diagnosis on clinical stage of testicular cancer. Lancet 2: pp. 970
- Peckham, M. J., McElwain, T. J., Barrett, A., Hendry, W. F. (1979) Combined management of malignant teratoma of the testis. Lancet 2: pp. 267
- Campbell, M. J., Machin, D. (1991) Medical Statistics: A Commonsense Approach. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Richie, J. P. Neoplasms of the testis. In: Walsh, P. C., Retik, A. B., Stamey, T. A., Vaughan, E. D. eds. (1992) Campbell's Urology. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia
- Scher, H., Bosl, G. J., Geller, N., Cirrincione, C., Whitmore, W., Golbey, R. (1983) Impact of symptomatic interval on prognosis of patients with stage III testicular cancer. Urology 21: pp. 559
- Sandeman, T. F. (1979) Symptoms and early management of germinal tumors of the testis. Med. J. Aust. 2: pp. 281
- Prout, G. R., Griffin, P. P. (1984) Testicular tumors: Delay in diagnosis and influence on survival. Amer. Fam. Physician 29: pp. 205
- Patton, J. F., Hewitt, C. B., Mallis, N. (1959) Diagnosis and treatment of tumors of the testis. JAMA 171: pp. 2194
- Moul, J. W., Paulson, D. F., Dodge, R. K., Walther, P. J. (1990) Delay in diagnosis and survival in testicular cancer: Impact of effective therapy and changes during 18 years. J. Urol. 143: pp. 520
- Harding, M., Paul, J., Kaye, S. B. (1995) Does delayed diagnosis or scrotal incision affect outcome for men with non-seminomatous germ cell tumors?. Br. J. Urol. 76: pp. 491
- Johnson, D. E., Wishnow, K. I., Preston, W., Tenney, D. M., Brown, B. W. (1989) Testicular carcinoma: The danger of delayed diagnosis. J. Urol. 141: pp. 302A
- Moul, J. W., Schanne, F. J., Thompson, I. M. (1994) Testicular cancer in blacks. A multi-center experience (see comments). Cancer 73: pp. 388
- Factors Involved in Diagnostic Delay of Testicular Cancer
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 383-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors