Influence of Preoperative Vesicle Biopsy on the Decision for Radical Prostatectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: The presence of seminal vesicle invasion (SVI) by prostate cancer is difficult to detect clinically and is associated with poor prognosis. The aim of our study was to identify the efficacy of transrectal ultrasound-guided seminal vesicle biopsies in the detection of seminal vesicle invasion (SVI) in patients with prostate cancer.
Materials and methods: One hundred transrectal ultrasound-guided seminal vesicle biopsies were performed in 50 patients with clinically localized prostate cancer. Every patient underwent two biopsies, one for a each seminal vesicle. Radical retropubic prostatectomy was performed in all cases and the specimens with the attached seminal vesicles were examined for the presence of prostate cancer invasion.
Results: Of a total of 100 seminal vesical biopsies 87 were identified as seminal vesicle by characteristic epithelium. Cancer was found in 7 (8%) biopsies, confirmed in all cases by pathology in the surgical specimen. Eighty biopsies (40 patients) were normal. Pathological analysis of these 40 radical prostatectomy specimens revealed that 6 seminal vesicles (5 patients) were invaded by prostate cancer (6 false negative biopsies, 7.5%). Transrectal ultrasound images of 15 seminal vesicles were suspicious for invasion while 85 were normal. Of the 15 suspicious cases 11 were invaded by cancer (73.3%). Of the sonographically benign seminal vesicles 5 (5.88%) were invaded by cancer. Our data were analyzed by the ARCUS PRO-STAT statistical package.
Conclusions: We suggest that transrectal ultrasound-guided seminal vesicle biopsy is useful and reliable for a more exact preoperative staging of prostate cancer, therefore helpful in correct decision making for radical prostatectomy.
- Andiole, G. I., Coplen, D. E., Mikkelsen, D. J., Catalona, W. J. (1989) Sonographic and pathological staging of patients with clinically localized prostate cancer. J. Urol. 142: pp. 1259
- Catalona, W. J., Smith, D. J. (1994) Five year tumor recurrence rates after anatomic radical retropubic prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J. Urol. 152: pp. 1837
- Catalona, W. J., Biggs, S. W. (1990) Nerve sparing radical prostatectomy: Evaluation of results after 250 patients. J. Urol. 143: pp. 538
- Epstein, J. I., Carmichael, M., Walsh, P. C. (1993) Adenocarcinoma of the prostate invading the seminal vesicle: Definition and relation of tumor volume, grade and margins of resection to prognosis. J. Urol. 149: pp. 1040
- Middleton, R. G., Smith, J. A., Melzer, R. B., Hamilton, P. E. (1986) Patient survival and local recurrence rate following radical prostatectomy for prostatic carcinoma. J. Urol. 136: pp. 422
- Mukamel, E., deKernion, J. B., Hannah, J., Smith, R. B., Skinner, D. G., Goodwin, W. E. (1987) The incidence and significance of seminal vesical invasion in patients with adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Cancer 59: pp. 15
- Paulson, D. F., Stone, A. R., Walther, P. J., Tucker, J. A., Cox, E. B. (1986) Radical prostatectomy: Anatomical predictors of success or failure. J. Urol. 136: pp. 1041
- Peters, C., Walsh, P. C. (1985) Blood transfusion and anesthetic practices in radical retropubic prostatectomy. J. Urol. 134: pp. 81
- Quinlan, D. M., Epstein, J. I., Carter, B. S., Walsh, P. C. (1991) Sexual function following radical prostatectomy: Influence of preservation of neurovascular bundles. J. Urol. 145: pp. 998
- Scardino, P. T., Shinihara, K., Wheeler, T. M., Carter, S. S. (1989) Staging of prostate cancer. Value of ultrasonography. Urol. Clin. N. Amer. 16: pp. 713
- Schroder, F. H., Van Der Ouden, D., Davidson, P. (1992) The limits of surgery in the cure of prostatic carcinoma. Eur. Urol. 3: pp. 18
- Stamey, T. A., Villers, A. A., McNeal, J. E., Link, P. C., Freiha, F. S. (1990) Positive surgical margins at radical retropubic prostatectomy: Importance of the apical dissection. J. Urol. 143: pp. 1166
- Stamey, T. A., Kabalin, J. N., McNeal, J. E., Johnstone, I. M., Freiha, F., Redwine, E. A., Yang, N. (1989) Prostate specific antigen in the diagnosis and treatment of adenocarcinoma of the prostate. II. Radical prostatectomy treated patients. J. Urol. 141: pp. 1076
- Steiner, M. S., Morton, R. A., Walsh, P. C.: Impact of radical prostatectomy on urinary continence. J. Urol., 512 (1991).
- Terris, M. K., McNeal, J. E., Stamey, T. A. (1992) Estimation of prostate cancer volume by transrectal ultrasound imaging. J. Urol. 147: pp. 855
- Villers, A. A., McNeal, J. I., Redwine, E. A., Freiha, F. S., Stamey, T. A. (1990) Pathogenesis and biological significance of seminal vesical invasion in prostatic adenocarcinoma. J. Urol. 143: pp. 1183
- Influence of Preoperative Vesicle Biopsy on the Decision for Radical Prostatectomy
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 83-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors