The Use of Polytetrafluoroethylene (Gore-Tex) Grafts in Reconstruction of the Urinary Bladder
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The safety and histopathologic effects of polytetrafluoroethylene (Gore-Tex) grafts in reconstruction of the urinary bladder were examined. Following partial excision of the bladder Gore-Tex was placed, and the rats were sacrificed at days 7, 14 and 30. Gore-Tex did not cause urine infection, and there was no peritonitis or sepsis in any of the rats. Inflammation around the Gore-Tex diminished after four weeks. Some mononuclear cells and exudate were observed on the inner surface of the Gore-Tex. There was no inflammation or fibrosis in the mucosa and muscular layers of the remaining bladder. In this study the Gore-Tex graft was found to be an infection resistant, urine impermeable material, with no adverse effects on the urinary bladder. Gore-Tex is suggested as a safe material for the reconstruction of the urinary bladder.
- Ehler, W. J., Cissik, J. H., Smith, V. C., Hubbard, G. B.: Evaluation of Gore-Tex graft material in the repair of right ventricular outflow tract defect. J. Invest. Surg., 3, 119 (1990).
- Huang, W. J., Hu, F. R., Chang, S. W.: Clinicopathologic study of Gore-Tex patch graft in corneoscleral surgery. Cornea, 13, 82 (1994).
- Backer, C. L., Pensler, J. M., Tobin, G. R., Mavroudis, C.: Vascularized muscle flaps for life-threatening mediastinal wounds in children. Ann. Thorac, Surg., 57, 797 (1994).
- Dawidson, I. J., Ar'Rajab, A., Melone, L. D., Poole, T., Griffin, D., Risser, R.: Early use of the Gore-Tex Stretch Graft. Blood Purif., 14, 337 (1996).
- Kenney, D. A. et al.: Performance of a longitudinally compliant PTFE vascular prosthesis in an ovine A-V fistula model. ASAIO Trans., 36, M761-3 (1990).
- Jaffers, G., Angstadt, J. D., Bowman, J. S.: Early cannulation of plasma TFE and Gore-Tex grafts for hemodialysis: A prospective randomized study. Am. J. Nephrol., 11, 369 (1991).
- Fisch, M., Wammack, R., Thüroff, J., Hohenfellner, R.: The “Mainz pouch” technique (bladder augmentation with ileum and cecum) for bladder augmentation, bladder substitution, and continent urinary diversion. Arch. Esp. Urol., 45, 903 (1992).
- Lauvetz, R. W., Monda, J. M., Kramer, S. A., Husmann, D. A.: Urinary pH and urea concentration correlate to the bacterial colonization rate in gastric, colonic, ileal and myoperitoneal bladder augmentation. J. Urol., 154,2, 899 (1995).
- Tizzoni, G., Foggi, A.: Die Wiederherstellung der Harnblase. Zentralbl. Chir., 15, 921 (1888).
- Gleason, D. M., Gittes, R. F., Bottaccini, M. R.: Energy balance of voiding after cecal cystoplasty. J. Urol., 108, 259 (1972).
- Elder, J. S., Snyder, H. M., Hulbert, W. C., Duckett, J. W.: Perforation of the augmented bladder in patients undergoing clean intermittent catheterization. J. Urol., 140, 1159 (1988).
- Debodinance, P., De Bièvre, P., Parmentier, D., Dubrulle, R., Querleu, D., Crépin, G.: The “hazards” of using a Gore-Tex sling in the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. J. Gynecol. Obstet. Biol. Reprod. (Paris), 23, 665 (1994).
- Virseda Chamorro, M., González Meli, B., Salinas Casado, J., Mellado, F., Galán Torres, J. A., García Marcos, J., Diz Pintado, M.: Experimental bladder augmentation with Gore-Tex amine: Biomechanical, biochemical and biostructural aspects. Arch. Esp. Urol., 47, 958 (1994).
- Drekion, K., Liobelenz, J.: Alloplastic replacement of the canine ureter by expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (Gore-Tex) grafts. Eur. Urol., 4, 379 (1978).
- Peters, J. J., Shingleton, W. B., Morgan, D., Allen, B., Fowler, J. E. Jr.: Neointimized Gore-Tex graft for ureteral prosthesis in the dog. Urology, 48, 379 (1996).
- Verdon, S. L., Chaikof, E. L., Coleman, J. E., Hayes, L. L., Connolly, R. J., Ramberg, K., Merrill, E. W., Callow, A. D.: Scanning electron microscopy analysis of polyethylene oxide hydrogels for blood contact. Scanning Microsc., 4, 341, discussion 349-50 (1990).
- The Use of Polytetrafluoroethylene (Gore-Tex) Grafts in Reconstruction of the Urinary Bladder
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 313-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Urology, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Düzce Medical School, Düzce, Bolu
- 2. Department of General Surgery, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Düzce Medical School, Düzce, Bolu
- 3. Department of Urology, Haydarpaşa Numune Hospital, Istanbul
- 4. Department of Pathology, Gülhane Military Medical School, Ankara, Turkey