Squamous Metaplasia of the Bladder: Findings in 14 Patients and Review of the Literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have documented the data of squamous metaplasia of the bladder in 14 patients who had undergone cystoscopies for different reasons. In two biopsies, there were marked keratinization and cellular atypia. One of these two subjects was diagnosed as squamous carcinoma of the prostate and transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. The lesions of 8 female patients were on the trigone and evaluated as normal anatomical variants due to hormonal changes. Three of them were remarkable because of recurrent urinary infections. Apart from the two male patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the prostate the two male patients with current squamous metaplasia have been following up. In this study, we have also reviewed the relationship between squamous metaplasia, infection and malignancy.
- Messing, E. M., Catalona, W.: Urothelial tumors of the urinary tract. In: Walsh, P. C., Retik, A. B., Vaughan, E. D., Wein, A. J. (eds): Campbell's Urology. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 1998.
- Koss, L. G.: Tumour of the urinary bladder. In: Atlas of Tumour Pathology. Washington, D. C.: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 2nd series, fasc. 2, 1975.
- Mostofi, F. K.: Potentialities of bladder epithelium. J. Urol., 71, 705 (1954).
- Mostofi, F. K., Leestma, J. E.: Lower urinary tract, prostate, and male genitals. In: W. A. D. Anderson (ed.): Pathology. 6th ed. Chapt. 22, C. V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1971.
- Amora, M. J., Munoz, S. J., Perez, C. M., Agulio, L. F., Torrecilla, O. C., Serralach, M. N.: Leukoplakia of the upper urinary tract. Arch. Esp. Urol., 45(1), 65 (1992).
- Stephenson, T. J., Henry, L., Harris, S. C.: Pseudomembranous trigonitis of the bladder: hormonal aetiology. J. Clin. Pathol., 42, 922 (1989).
- Russel, G. A., Crowley, T., Dalrymple, J. O.: Squamous metaplasia in the penile urethra due to oestrogen therapy. Br. J. Urol., 69, 282 (1992).
- Goodwin, W. E., Cummings, R. H.: Squamous metaplasia of the verumontanum with obstruction due to hypertrophy: Long-term effects of estrogen on the prostate in an aging male-to-female transsexual. J. Urol., 131, 553 (1984).
- Wiener, D. P., Koss, L. G., Sablay, B., Freed, S. Z.: The prevalence and significance of Brunn's nests, cystitis cystica and squamous metaplasia in normal bladders. J. Urol., 122, 317 (1979).
- Akdaş, A., Türkeri, L.: The impact of squamous metaplasia in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Int. Urol. Nephrol., 23(4), 333 (1991).
- Vecchioli, S. C., Morosetti, D.: Prognostic significance of epidermoid metaplasia in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Arch. Esp. Urol., 47(7), 671 (1994).
- Walts, A. E., Sacks, S. A.: Squamous metaplasia and invasive epidermoid carcinoma of bladder. Urology, 9, 317 (1977).
- Squamous Metaplasia of the Bladder: Findings in 14 Patients and Review of the Literature
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 457-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links