First record of Cercospora pistiae causing leaf spot of water lettuce ( Pistia stratioites ) in Brazil, with particular reference to weed biocontrol
- R.W. Barreto
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pistia stratioites , the water lettuce, is an important pantropical aquatic weed. It has been the target of successful classical biocontrol programmes utilizing an insect natural enemy collected in Brazil and introduced into Australia, Papua New Guinea and South Africa. Little attention was given to the fungal pathogens associated with this weed as potential biocontrol agents. An 11-month field survey in the state of Rio de Janeiro involving repeated visits to 12 sites, and a 2-month survey in the Amazonas Basin (Amazonas state) in Brazil, yielded only one pathogenic fungus on P. stratioites. This was identified as Cercospora pistiae. No previous record of this species has been made in Brazil nor in the New World. The fungus is described and its taxonomy and biocontrol potential discussed herein. C. pistiae is a damaging pathogen of water lettuce. Its distribution was restricted to two interconnected sites in Rio de Janeiro. A literature and herbaria survey yielded few fungi associated to water lettuce (8 species), probably reflecting a lack of adequate collection in the centre of origin of the plant.
- Lorenzi H. Plantas Daninhas do Brasil. Nova Odessa, Brazil: Editora Plantarum, 1991.
- Holm LG, Plucknett DL, Pancho JV, Herberger, JP. The world's worst weeds. Distribution and Biology. Honolulu, U.S.A.: University Press of Hawaii, 1977.
- Laup S. Biological control of water lettuce: early observations. Harvest 1987; 12: 41‐43.
- Cilliers C, Zeller D, Strydom G. Short-and long-term control of water lettuce (Pistia stratioites) on seasonal water bodies and on a river system in the Kruger National Park, South Africa. Hydrobiologia 1996, 340: 173‐179. CrossRef
- Kissman KG. Plantas Infestantes e Nocivas. São Paulo, Brazil: BASF Brasileira SA, 1901.
- Bennett F. Insects and plant pathogens for the control of Salvinia and Pistia. In: Brezonik PL, Fox JL, eds. Proceedings of a symposium on water quality management through biological control. 1975: 28‐34. Gainesville, USA: University of Florida.
- Harley KLS, Forno IW, Kassulke RC, Sands DPA. Biological control of water lettuce, J Aquatic Plant Manag 1984; 22: 101–102.
- Cilliers C. First attempt at and early results on the biological control of Pistia stratioites L. in South Africa. Koedoe 1987; 30: 35‐40.
- Hanada RE. Fungos Fitopatogênicos para o Controle Biológico de Plantas Aquáticas Invasoras. (M.Sc. dissertation). Viçosa (Brazil): Universidade Federal de Viçosa (Brazil), 1998.
- Chupp C. A Monograph of the Fungus Genus Cercospora. Ithaca, U.S.: (private communication), 1954.
- Ellis MB. More dematiaceous hyphomycetes. Kew, U.K.: C.A.B, 1976.
- Govindu HC, Thirumalachar MO, Nag Raj TR. Notes on some Indian Cercosporae XII. Sydowia 1970; 24: 297‐301.
- Barreto RW, Evans HC. The mycobiota of the weed Chromolaena odorata in southern Brazil with particular reference to fungal pathogens for biological control. Mycol Res 1994; 98: 1107‐1116.
- Barreto RW, Evans HC, Ellison A. The mycobiota of the weed Lantana camara in Brazil, with particular reference to biological control. Mycol Res 1995; 99: 760‐782.
- Barreto RW, Evans HC. The mycobiota of the weed Mikania micrantha in southern Brazil with particular reference to fungal pathogens for biological control. Mycol Res 1995; 99: 343‐352. CrossRef
- Saccardo PA. Sylloge Fungorum 1913; 22: 1291.
- Mukerji KG, Juneja RC. Fungi of India. Dehli, India: Emkay Publications, 1975.
- Zettler FW, Freeman, TE. Plant pathogens as biocontrols of aquatic weeds, Ann Rev Phytopathol 1972, 10: 455‐470. CrossRef
- Saccardo PA. Sylloge Fungorum 1902; 16: 847.
- Joyner BG, Freeman TE. Pathogenicity of Rhizoctonia solani to aquatic plants. Phytopathol 1973; 63: 681‐685. CrossRef
- Dade HA. A revised list of Gold Coast fungi and plant diseases. Kew Bull 1940; 6: 205‐247.
- First record of Cercospora pistiae causing leaf spot of water lettuce ( Pistia stratioites ) in Brazil, with particular reference to weed biocontrol
Volume 144, Issue 2 , pp 81-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aquatic weeds
- biological control
- Cercospora pistiae
- fungal pathogens
- water cabbage
- Industry Sectors