A lectin histochemistry comparative study in human normal prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostatic carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The partial oligosaccharide sequences of glycoconjugates and the nature of their glycosidic linkages were investigated in normal human prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostatic carcinoma by means of lectin histochemistry, using light microscopy and Western blot analysis. The labeling pattern of BPH differed from that of normal prostate in having more intense staining with DSA, HPA, UEA-I and AAA, and in showing lesser staining with WGA and SBA. Prostatic carcinoma differed from normal prostates in displaying the more intense labeling with PNA, DSA, SBA, DBA, UEA-I and AAA, and in having lesser labeling with WGA. The main differences in labeling pattern between prostatic carcinoma and BPH were that the latter specimens showed more marked staining with PNA, DSA, DBA, SBA, UEA-I and AAA, and lesser staining with WGA and HPA. The staining patterns of SNA, MAA, ConA, LCA and GNA were similar in all three groups of specimens. For most of the lectins studied, including those showing a similar immunohistochemical staining in the three groups of specimens studied, the Western blot analysis showed differences in the banding pattern among normal, hyperplastic, and carcinomatous prostates. Present results suggest that the glycosylation of proteins was modified in both BPH and prostatic carcinoma. In BPH a strong expression of N-acetylgalactosamine residues occurred, while in prostatic carcinoma an increase of sialic aci, galactose and fucose residues was observed. No changes in mannose residues were detected.
- McNeal JE (1988) Am J Surg Pathol 12: 619–33.
- McNeal JE (1969) Cancer 23: 24–34.
- Blithe DL (1993) Trends Glycosci Glycotechnol 5: 81–9.
- Sharon N, Lis H (1993) Sci Am 268: 74–81.
- Zieske JD, Bernstein IA (1982) J Cell Biol 95: 626–31.
- Mann T, Lutwak-Mann C (1981) In Themes and Trends in Physiology, Biochemistry and Investigative Andrology, pp 269–336. Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- Janssen T, Petein M, Van Velthoven R, Van Leer P, Fourmarier M, Vanegas JP, Danguy A, Schulman C, Pasteels JL, Kiss R (1996) Hum Pathol 27: 1341–47.
- Ucci AA, Alroy J, Orgad U, Goyal V, Gavris V (1983) Lab Invest 48: 87–8.
- Bischof W, Aumuller G (1982) Prostate 3: 507–13.
- Ghazizadeh M, Kagawa S, Izumi K, Kurokawa K (1984) J Urol 132: 1127–30.
- Abel PD, Keane P, Leathem A, Tebbutt S, Williams G (1989) Br J Urol 63: 183–85.
- Drachenberg CB, Papadimitriou JC (1995) Cancer 75: 2539–44.
- McMahon RF, McWilliam LJ, Mosley S (1992) J Clin Pathol 45: 1094–98.
- McMahon RF, McWilliam LJ, Clarke NW, George NJR (1994) Br J Urol 74: 80–5.
- McNeal JE, Leav I, Alroy J, Skutelsky E (1988) Am J Clin Pathol 89: 41–8.
- Ono K, Katsuyama M, Hotchi M (1983) Stain Technol 58: 309–12.
- Towbin H, Staehlin T, Gordon J (1979) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350–54.
- Laemmli UK (1970) Nature 227: 680–85.
- Loy TS, Kyle J, Bickel JT (1989) Cancer 63: 1583–86.
- Leathem AJ, Brooks SA (1987) Lancet 9: 1054–56.
- Shiraishi T, Atsumi S, Yatani R (1992) In Prostate Cancer and Bone Metastasis (Karr JP, Yamanaka H, eds) pp 269–336. New York: Plenum Press.
- Altevogt P, Fogel M, Cheingsong-Popov R, Dennis J, Roninson P, Schirrmcher V (1983) Cancer Res 43: 5138–44.
- Hakomori SI (1984) Annu Rev Immunol 2: 103–26.
- Bohn B, Thies C, Brossmer R (1977) Europ J Cancer 13: 1145–50.
- McNeal JE, Alroy J, Villers A, Redwine EA, Freiha FS, Stamey TA (1991) Hum Pathol 22: 979–88.
- Perlman EJ, Epstein JI (1990) Am J Surg Pathol 14: 810–18.
- Quemener E, Amet Y, Fournier G, Di Stefano S, Abalain JH, Floch HH (1994) Biochem Biophys Res Comm 205: 269–74.
- A lectin histochemistry comparative study in human normal prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostatic carcinoma
Volume 16, Issue 7 , pp 375-382
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Western blot
- normal prostate
- benign prostatic hyperplasia
- prostatic carcinoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, University of Alcalá, E-28871 Alcalá de Henares (, Madrid, Spain
- 2. Department of Urology, Hospital Principe de Asturias, E-28871 Alcalá de Henares (, Madrid, Spain