Modelling of multi-line Brillouin/erbium fibre lasers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Laser sources with unique properties can be produced using a combination of nonlinear Brillouin gain in single-mode optical fibre (SMOF) and gain in erbium-doped fibre (EDF). Narrow bandwidth nonlinear gain from stimulated Brillouin scattering in SMOF determines the wavelength of operation, and gain in EDF allows efficient operation and large power extraction. Various cascading schemes based on the Brillouin/erbium fibre laser (BEFL) as well as distinctive multi-wavelength versions of the BEFL were proposed, being able to produce 10GHz combs of over 30 lines at 1550 nm. These multi-wavelength sources may be of use in future dense wavelength-division multiplexing systems. We explore fundamental aspects of BEFLs configured to generate multiple wavelengths with particular focus on the effects of the Brillouin and EDF pumps on the number of lines and the relationship between the intensities of the individual lines in the comb.
- Zirngibl, M. In Tech. Dig. of Conf. on Laser and Electro-Optics (CLEO'97), Baltimore, Maryland, May 18–23, CMG5, 1997.
- Cowle, G.J., D.Yu. Stepanov and Y.T. Chieng. J. Lightwave Technol. 15 1198, 1997.
- Cowle, G.J. and D.Yu. Stepanov. In Tech. Dig. of Conf. on Opt. Fiber Commun. (OFC'96), San Jose, California, February 25–March 1 PD9 1996a.
- Cowle, G.J. and D.Yu. Stepanov. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 8 1465, 1996b.
- Cowle, G.J., W.H. Loh, R.I. Laming and D.Yu. Stepanov. In Tech. Dig. of Conf. on Opt. Fiber Commun. (OFC'97), Dallas, Texas, February 16–21 TuH7, 1997.
- Stepanov D.Yu. and G.J. Cowle. In Tech. Dig. of Conf. on Laser and Electro-Optics (CLEO'97), Baltimore, Maryland, May 18–23 CTuG6, 1997a.
- Toyama, K., S. Huang, P.-A. Nicati, B.Y. Kim and H.J. Shaw. In Proc. of Opt. Fiber Sensors Conf. (OFS'93), Firenze, Italia, May 4–6 11, 1993.
- Stepanov D.Yu. and G.J. Cowle. IEEE J. Select. Topics in Quantum Electron. 3 1997b.
- Cowle, G.J., and D.Yu. Stepanov. Opt. Lett. 21 1250, 1996c.
- Tang, C.L. J. Appl. Phys. 37 2945, 1966.
- Siegman, A.E., Lasers, Mill Valley, CA: University Science Books, 474, 1986.
- Zeldovich, B.Ya., N.E. Pilipetsky, and V.V. Shkunov. In Principles of Phase Conjugation, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
- Stepanov D.Yu., and G.J. Cowle. In Proc. of SPIE Int. Symp. on Optics, Imaging and Instrumentation (Doped Fibre Fevices), 2841 13–21, 1996.
- Modelling of multi-line Brillouin/erbium fibre lasers
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 31, Issue 5-7 , pp 481-494
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Brillouin/erbium fibre laser (BEFL)
- multiple wavelengths
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Australian Photonics Cooperative Research Centre, Optical Fibre Technology Centre, The University of Sydney, 101 National Innovation Centre, Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh, NSW, 1430, Australia (
- 2. Optoelectronics Research Centre, University of Southampton, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK