Subjective Well-Being, Discrimination and Cultural Conflict: Iranians Living in The Netherlands
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study focuses on subjective well-being of Iranian refugees in the Netherlands. Relations with perceived discrimination and cultural conflict with life satisfaction, and positive and negative affect were examined. Additionally, the mediating role of self-esteem, mastery and ethnic identity was studied as well as demographic variables. A path model showed two pathways leading to well-being. In a first path perceived discrimination led to higher ethnic identification which had a negative effect on mastery, which in turn led to lower well-being. In a second path, cultural conflict had an indirect effect on negative affect via self-esteem, and a direct effect on positive affect and life satisfaction. Legal status, level of education, lenght of residence and number of family members in the country had an independent effect on different aspects of the path model.
- Andrews, F. M. and S. B. Withey: 1976, Social Indicators of Well-being: American's Perception of Life Quality (Plenum, New York).
- Bandura, A.: 1995, Self-efficacy in Changing Societies (Cambridge University Press, New York).
- Baron, R. M. and Kenny, D. A.: 1986, 'The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations'. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 51, pp. 1173–1182.
- Beiser, M.: 1991, 'The mental health of refugees in resettlement countries', in H. Adelman (ed.), Refugee Policy (York Lanes Press, Toronto), pp. 427–442.
- Berry, J. W.: 1990, 'Psychology of acculturation', in J. J. Berman (ed.), Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, 1989. Vol. 37. Cross-cultural Perspectives (University of Nebraska, Lincoln), pp. 201–234.
- Berry, J. W., U. Kim, T. Minde and D. Mok: 1987, 'Comparative studies of acculturative stress', InternationalMigration Review 21, pp. 491–511.
- Campbell, A.: 1981, The Sense of Well-being in America: Recent Patterns and Trends (McGraw-Hill, New York).
- Chamberlain, K.: 1988, 'On the structure of well-being', Social Indicators Research 20, pp. 581–604.
- Crocker, J. and B. Major: 1989, 'Social stigma and self-esteem: The selfprotective properties of stigma', Psychological Review 96, pp. 608–630.
- Crocker, J., K. Voelkl, M. Testa and B. Major: 1991, 'Social stigma: The affective consequences of attributional ambiguity', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 60, pp. 218–228.
- Deaux, K.: 1996, 'Social identification', in E. T. Higgins and A. W. Kruglanski (eds.), Social Psychology: Handbook of Basic Principles (Guilford, New York), pp. 777–798.
- Diener, E.: 1984, 'Subjective well-being', Psychological Bulletin 95, pp. 542–575.
- Diener, E., R. A. Emmons, R. J. Larsen. and S. Griffin: 1985, 'The Satisfaction With Life Scale', Journal of Personality Assessment 49, pp. 71–75.
- Dion, K. L.: 1986, 'Responses to perceived discrimination and relative deprivation', in J. M. Olson, C. P. Herman and M. P. Zanna (eds), Relative Deprivation and Social Comparison: The Ontario Symposium, vol. 4 (Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.), pp. 159–179.
- Dion, K. L. and B. M. Earn: 1975, 'The phenomenology of being a target of prejudice', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 32, pp. 944–950.
- Franks, D. D. and J. Marolla: 1976, 'Efficacious action and social approval as interacting dimensions of self-esteem: A tentative formulation through construct validation', Sociometry 39, pp. 324–341.
- Gecas, V. and P. J. Burke: 1995, 'Self and identity', in K. S. Cook, G. A. Fine and J. S. House (eds.), Sociological Perspectives on Social Psychology (Allyn and Bacon, Boston), pp. 41–67.
- Gecas, V. and M. L. Schwalbe: 1983, 'Beyond the looking-glass self: Social structure and efficacy-based self-esteem', Social Psychology Quarterly 46, pp. 77–88.
- Grossman, B., R. Wirt and A. Davids: 1985, 'Self-esteem, ethnic identity, and behavioral adjustment among Anglo and Chicano adolescents in West Texas', Journal of Adolescence 8, pp. 57–68.
- Hofstede, G.: 1991, Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind (McGraw-Hill, London).
- Huebner, E. S. and T. Dew: 1996, 'The interrelationship of positive affect, negative affect, and life satisfaction in an adolescent sample', Social Indicators Research 38, pp. 129–137.
- Hurtado, A., P. Gurin and T. Peng: 1994, 'Social identities – A framework for studying the adaptations of immigrants and ethnics: The adaptations of Mexicans in the United States', Social Problems 41, pp. 129–151.
- Kim, U. and J. W. Berry: 1985, 'Predictors of acculturative stress: Korean immigrants in Toronto', in L. H. Ekstrand (ed.), Ethnic Minorities and Immigrants in Cross-cultural Perspectives (Swets & Zeitlinger. Lisse The Netherlands), pp. 159–170.
- Koomen, W. and E. G. Fränkel: 1992, 'Effects of experienced discrimination and different forms of relative deprivation among Surinamese, a Dutch ethnic minority group', Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology 2,pp. 63–71.
- Koser, K.: 1997, 'Social networks and the asylum cycle: The case of Iranians in the Netherlands', InternationalMigration Review 31, pp. 591–611.
- LaFromboise, T., H. L. K. Coleman and J. Gerton: 1993, 'Psychological impact of biculturalism: Evidence and theory', Psychological Bulletin 114, pp. 395–412.
- Liebkind, K.: 1992, 'Ethnic identity: Challenging the boundaries of social psychology', in G. M. Breakwell (ed.), Social Psychology of Identity and the Self-concept (Surrey University Press, New York), pp. 147–185.
- Liebkind, K.: 1996, 'Acculturation and stress: Vietnamese refugees in Finland', Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 27, pp. 161–180.
- Louden, D. M.: 1978, 'Self-esteem and locus of control: Some findings on immigrant adolescents in Britain', New Community 4, pp. 218–234.
- Owens, T. J.: 1993, 'Accentuate the positive – and the negative: Rethinking the use of self-esteem, self-deprecation, and self-confidence', Social Psychology Querterly 56, pp. 288–299.
- Pearlin, L. I. and C. Radabaugh: 1976, 'Economic strains and the coping functions of alcohol', American Journal of Sociology 82, pp. 652–663.
- Pearlin, L. I. and C. Schooler: 1978, 'The structure of coping', Journal of Health and Social Behavior 19, pp. 2–22.
- Phinney, J. S.: 1990, 'Ethnic identity in adolescents and adults: A review of research', Psychological Bulletin 108, pp. 499–514.
- Phinney, J. S., B. T. Lochner and R. Murphy: 1990, 'Ethnic identity development and psychological adjustment in adolescence', in A. R. Stiffman and L. E. Davis (eds.), Ethnic Issues in Adolescent Mental Health (Sage, Newbury Park, CA), pp. 53–72.
- Phinney, J. S., L. J. Santos and T. Madden: 1996, 'Individual differences in perceived discrimination among minority and immigrant adolescents', Paper presented at the meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development, Quebec City, Canada.
- Porter, J. R. and R. E. Washington: 1979, 'Black identity and self-esteem: A review of studies of black self-concept, 1968–1978', Annual Review of Sociology 5, pp. 53–74.
- Porter, J. R. and R. E. Washington: 1993, 'Minority identity and self-esteem', Annual Review of Sociology 19, pp. 139–161.
- Rosenberg, M.: 1965, Society and the Adolescent Self-image (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ).
- Rotter, J. B.: 1966, 'Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement', Psychological Monographs 80(609).
- Ruggiero, K. M. and D. M. Taylor: 1995, 'Coping with discrimination: How disadvantaged group members perceive the discrimination that confronts them', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 68, pp. 826–838.
- Rumbaut, R. G.: 1995, 'The crucible within: Ethnic identity, self-esteem, and segmented assimilation among children of immmigrants', International Migration Review 28, pp. 795–820.
- Scot, W. A., R. Scot and M. McCabe: 1991, 'Family relationships and children's personality: A cross-cultural, cross-source comparison', British Journal of Social Psychology 30, pp. 1–20.
- Sinnerbrink, I., D. Silvone, A. Field, Z. Steel and V. Manicavasagar: 1997, 'Compounding of premigration trauma and postmigration stress in asylum seekers', The Journal of Psychology 131, pp. 463–470.
- Spears, R., B. Doosje and N. Ellemers: 1997, 'Self-stereotyping in the face of threats to group status and distinctiveness: The role of group identification',Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 23, pp. 538–553.
- Turner, J. C., M. A. Hogg, P. J. Oakes, S. D. Reicher and M. S. Wetherell: 1987, Rediscovering the Social Group: A Self-categorization Theory (Blackwell, Oxford).
- Turner, J. C., P. J. Oakes, S. A. Haslam and C. McGarty: 1994, 'Self and collective: Cognition and social context', Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 20, pp. 454
- Veenhoven, R.: 1984, Conditions of Happiness (Reidel, Dordrecht, The Netherlands).
- Vega, W. A. and R. G. Rumbaut: 1991, 'Ethnic minorities and mental health', Annual Review of Sociology 17, pp. 351–383.
- Verkuyten, M.: 1989, 'Happiness among adolescents in the Netherlands: ethnic and sex differences', Psychological Review 65, pp. 577–578.
- Verkuyten,M.: 1992, Zelfbeleving van Jeugdige Allochtonen: Een Sociopsychologische Benadering (Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse, The Netherlands).
- Verkuyten, M.: 1994, 'Self-esteem among ethnic minority youth in Western countries', Social Indicators Research 32, pp. 21–47.
- Verkuyten,M. and G. A. Kwa: 1994, 'Ethnic self-identification and psychological well-being among minority youth in the Netherlands', International Journal of Adolescence and Youth 25, pp. 19–34.
- Verkuyten, M. and C. Lay: 1998, 'Ethnic minority identity and psychological well-being: The mediating role of collective self-esteem', Journal of Applied Social Psychology (forthcoming).
- Watson, D.: 1988, 'The vicisstudes of mood measurement: Effects of varying descriptors, time frames, and response formats on measures of positive and negative affect', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 55, pp. 128–141.
- Watson, D., L. A. Clark and A. Tellegen: 1988, 'Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: The PANAS scales', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 54, pp. 1063–dy1070.
- Watson, J. L.: 1977, Between two Cultures: Migrants and Minorities in Britain (Blackwell, Oxford).
- Wells, L. E. and G. Marwell: 1976, Self-esteem: Its Conceptualization and Measurement(Sage, London).
- Subjective Well-Being, Discrimination and Cultural Conflict: Iranians Living in The Netherlands
Social Indicators Research
Volume 47, Issue 3 , pp 281-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors