Fiber optic evanescent field absorption sensor: Effect of fiber parameters and geometry of the probe
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A comparative experimental study of the fiber-optic evanescent field absorption sensor based on straight and U-shaped probes is presented. The effects of numerical aperture and the core radius of the fiber on the sensitivity of the sensor are experimentally investigated. Increase in the numerical aperture of the fiber increases the sensitivity of the sensor in the case of both the probes. The effect of core radius on the sensitivity depends on the bending radius of the probe. In the case of straight probe (i.e. infinite bending radius) the fiber with smaller core radius has high sensitivity while in the case of U-shaped probe with 0.17 cm bending radius, the fiber with larger core radius has high sensitivity. Thus, which fiber (with small or large core radius) has maximum sensitivity depends on the bending radius of the probe. For a given fiber, decrease in the bending radius increases the sensitivity of the U-shaped probe. An inverse power law relationship between the bending radius and the evanescent absorbance and hence the sensitivity is established.
- Paul, P.H and G. Kychakoff, Appl. Phys. Lett. 51 12, 1987.
- Villarruel, C.A., D.D. Dominguez and A. Dandridge, Proc. SPIE 798 225, 1987.
- Simhony, S., I. Schnitzer, A. Katzir and E.M. Kosower, J. Appl. Phys. 64 3732, 1988.
- Schnitzer, I., A. Katzir, U. Schiessl, W.J. Riedel and M. Tacke, J. Appl. Phys. 66 5667, 1989.
- Ruddy, V. Fiber Integrated Opt. 9 143, 1990.
- Ruddy, V., B.D. MacCraith and J.A. Murphy. J. Appl. Phys. 67 6070, 1990.
- Gupta, B.D., A. Sharma and C.D. Singh, Int. J. Optoelectron. 8 30, 1993.
- Payne, F.P. and Z.M. Hale, Int. J. Optoelectron. 8 743, 1993.
- Gupta, B.D. and C.D. Singh, Appl. Opt. 33 2737, 1994a.
- Gupta, B.D., C.D. Singh and A. Sharma, Opt. Eng. 33 1864, 1994.
- Gupta, B.D. and C.D. Singh, Fiber Integrated Opt. 13 433, 1994b.
- Safaai-Jazi, A. and J.V. Peterson, Opt. Laser Technol. 26 399, 1994.
- Gupta, B.D., A.K. Tomar and A. Sharma, Opt. Quant. Electron. 27 747, 1995.
- Messica, A., A. Greenstein and A. Katzir, Appl. Opt. 35 2274, 1996.
- Gupta, B.D. and H. Dodeja and A.K. Tomar, Opt. Quant. Electron. 28 1629, 1996.
- Gupta, B.D., and S.K. Khijwania, Fiber Integrated Opt. 17 63, 1998.
- Khijwania, S.K. and B.D. Gupta, Opt. Commun. 152 259, 1998.
- Snyder, A.W. and J.D. Love, Optical Waveguide Theory Chapman and Hall, London, 1983.
- Fiber optic evanescent field absorption sensor: Effect of fiber parameters and geometry of the probe
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 31, Issue 8 , pp 625-636
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- evanescent field
- numerical aperture
- optical fiber
- Industry Sectors