The Influence of Materialistic Inclination on Values, Life Satisfaction and Aspirations: An Empirical Analysis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article attempts to measure the effect ofmaterialistic inclination on the degree of lifesatisfaction. The study is based on a sample of about1600 respondents randomly selected from differentparts of the city state of Singapore. Theserespondents were divided into two distinct groups withhigh or low materialistic inclination. It wasobserved that when these respondents were asked torate the importance of the nine items from Kahle'sList of Values, the ratings of seven of these itemswere found to be significantly different between thetwo groups. The two groups also indicated differentchoices when asked to rate the things they wanted mostout of life. Finally, it was revealed that they alsoreported different degrees of satisfaction withvarious domains in life in general. However, as withregard to satisfaction with life in Singapore inparticular, there were no significant differencesobserved between the two groups.
- Bearden, W. O., R. Netemeyer and M. F. Mobley: 1993, Handbook of Marketing Scales (Sage Publications).
- Belk, R. W.: 1985, 'Materialism: Trait aspects of living in amaterial world', Journal of Consumer Research 12, pp. 265-280.
- Economist, The: 1994. 'West-bashing: Singapore', The Economist 332, p. 28.
- Ger, G. and R. W. Belk: 1996, 'Cross-cultural differences in materialisim', Journal of Economic Psychology 17, pp. 55-77.
- Kahle, L. R.: 1983, Social Values and Social Change: Adaptation to Life in America (Praeger, New York).
- Kahle, L. R., S. E. Beatty and P. Homer: 1986, 'Alternative measurement approaches to consumer values: The list of values (LOV) and values and lifesytles (VALS)', Journal of Consumer Research 13, pp. 405-409.
- Kau, A. K. and S. H. Wang: 1995, 'Assessing quality of life in Singapore: An exploratory study', Social Indicators Research 35, pp. 71-91.
- Kau, A. K. and Charles Yang: 1991, Values and Lifestyles of Singaporeans: A Marketing Perspective (Singapore University Press, Singapore).
- Michalos, A. C.: 1980, 'Satisfaction and happiness', Social Indicators Research 8, pp. 385-422.
- Michalos, A. C.: 1982, 'The satisfaction and happiness of some senior citizens in rural Ontario', Social Indicators Research 11, pp. 1-30.
- Michalos, A. C.: 1983, 'Satisfaction and happiness in a rural northern resource community', Social Indicators Research 13, pp. 225-252.
- Michalos, A. C.: 1985, 'Multiple discrepancies theory', Social Indicators Research 16, pp. 347-413.
- Michalos, A. C.: 1986, 'Job satisfaction, marital satisfaction and the quality of life: A review and preview', in F. M. Andrews (ed.), Research on the Quality of Life (University of Michigan Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor), pp. 57-88.
- Moschis, G. P. and G. A. Churchill, Jr.: 1978, 'Consumer socialisation: A theoretical and empirical analysis', Journal of Marketing Research 15, pp. 599-609.
- Nunnally, J. C.: 1978, Psychometric Theory, 2nd Edn. (McGraw-Hill, New York).
- Richins, M. L.: 1987, 'Media, materialism, and human happiness', in M. Wallendorf and P. Anderson (eds.), Advances in Consumer Research V14 (Association of Consumer Research, Provo, UT), pp. 352-356.
- Richins, M. L. and S. Dawson: 1992, 'A consumer values orientation for materialism and its measurement: Scale development and validation', Journal of Consumer Research 19, pp. 303-316.
- Richins, M. L. and F. W. Rudmin: 1994, 'Materialism and economic psychology', Journal of Economic Psychology 15, pp. 217-231.
- Rokeach, M.: 1968, Beliefs, Attitudes and Values (Jossey-Bass, San Francisco).
- Rokeach, M.: 1973, The Nature of Human Values (Free Press, New York).
- Timmer, S. G. and L. R. Kahle: 1983, 'Birthright demographic correlates of values', in L. Kahle (ed.), Social Values and Social Change (Praeger).
- Veroff, J., E. Douvan and R. A. Kulka: 1981, The Inner American (Basic Books, New York).
- The Influence of Materialistic Inclination on Values, Life Satisfaction and Aspirations: An Empirical Analysis
Social Indicators Research
Volume 49, Issue 3 , pp 317-333
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- life satisfaction
- quality of life
- Industry Sectors