Testing Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: National Quality-of-Life Across Time
- Michael R. Hagerty
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Maslow's hierarchy-of-needs theory is used to predict development of Quality of Life (QOL) in countries over time. Previous data sets have not had sufficient power to test these development trends among countries. Therefore a new database was developed that includes annual quality of life time-series for 88 countries from 1960 to 1994, covering measures on all five of Maslow's need-levels. Results showed significant agreement with some of Maslow's predictions, including his sequence of need achievement, and parts of an S-shaped trajectory in QOL. However, his mechanism of growth – that countries must slow growth in one area to increase growth in another – was disconfirmed.
- Bennett, Richard R.: 1991, 'Development and crime:A cross-national, time-series analysis of competingmodels', The Sociological Quarterly 32(3), pp. 343–363.
- Davies, James C.: 1991, 'Maslow and theory of political development: Getting to fundamentals', Political Psychology 12(3), pp. 389–420.
- Diener, Ed: 1995, 'A value based index for measuring national quality of life', Social Indicators Research 36, pp. 107–127.
- Eckhardt,W.: 1989, “Wars and war-related deaths 1945–1989', in R. Leger Sivard (ed.), World Military and Social Expenditures (World Priorities, Washington, D.C.).
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO): 1995, Production Yearbook. On computer files (FAO, Rome).
- Jaggers, K. and T. Robert Gurr: 1995, 'Tracking democracy's third wave with Polity III data', Journal of Peace Research 32(4), pp. 469–482.
- Majumder, A., K. Mazumdar and S. Chakrabarti, 1995, 'Patterns of interand intra-regional inequality: A socio-economic approach', Social Indicators Research
- Maslow, Abraham H.: 1970, Motivation and Personality (Harper and Row, New York).
- Mazumdar, K.: 1995, 'Classification of countries: A socio-economic approach', Social Indicators Research 34, pp. 261–273.
- Sirgy, M. Joseph: 1986, 'A quality-of-life theory derived from Maslow's developmental perspective', American Journal of Economics and Sociology 45(3), pp. 329–342.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Insititue: 1995, SIPRI Yearbook 1995: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security (Oxford University Press, New York).
- Veenhoven, Ruut with the assistance of Joop Ehrhardt: 1995, 'The cross-national pattern of happiness: Test of predictions implied in three theories of happiness', Social Indicators Research 34, pp. 33–68.
- Wicker, Frank W., G. Brown, James A. Wiehe, Anastasia S. Hagen and J. Lynn Reed: 1993, 'On reconsidering Maslow: An examination of the deprivation/ domination proposition', Journal of Research in Personality 27, pp. 118–133.
- World Bank: 1997, World Development Indicators (World Bank, Washington, D.C).
- Testing Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: National Quality-of-Life Across Time
Social Indicators Research
Volume 46, Issue 3 , pp 249-271
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Graduate School of Management, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA, 95616