Constraints to effective pollution control and management in Nigeria
- Anthony Uzodinma Egbu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The issue of environmental protection and the need to establish the practice of environmental friendly programmes in national development consciousness are matters of paramount importance. While environmental consciousness in the developed world has witnessed over the past two decades generally effective mechanisms for pollution abatement, the situation in many third world nations is at best tepid.
In Nigeria, the problem of environmental pollution has been of crisis proportions with the problem in some sectors possibly the worst in the world. In response, the government has put in place legislation and established agencies for environmental protection. A number of positive results have been achieved by the nation's main environmental watchdog, the Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA). However, a lot still needs to be done, in terms of improving institutional capacity and adopting economic measures for the management of pollution problems.
This paper, therefore, examines the major sources of Nigeria's environmental problems, discusses the weaknesses of existing legal and institutional arrangements and suggests strategies for a more effective pollution control management in Nigeria.
- Adibe, E.C. (1997) An overview of our Environment and Management. ESUT Journal of Environmental Management, 1(1), 69-79.
- Afsah, S., Laplante, B. and Wheeler, D. (1996) Controlling industrial pollution: a new paradigm. The World Bank.
- Bernstein, J.D. (1993) Alternative approaches to pollution control and waste management: regulatory and economic instruments. The World Bank: Washington.
- FEPA (1988) Federal Environmental Protection Agency Decree P.A912. Federal Environmental Protection Agency, Nigeria.
- FRN (1992) Nigerian Urban and Regional planning Decree P.A1028. Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette, Nigeria.
- Izeze, E.M. (1996) FEPA to inspect CISCO. The Guardian Newspaper, 22nd April, p. 22, Lagos.
- Mabogunje, A. (1996) Civil society and the environmental quality of African human settlements. Shelter Watch, 1(2), 47-52.
- Uchegbu, S.N. (1998) Environmental management and protection. Enugu, Nigeria.
- Uwejamomere, T. (1995) Industries produce 19,000 metric tonnes of hazardous wastes yearly. The Guardian Newspaper, 18th December, p. 15, Lagos.
- Uwejamomere, T. (1996) Knocks, Kudos Greet N69.7 billion Mobil NGL Project's EIA Report. The Guardian Newspaper, 4th March, p. 15, Lagos.
- Constraints to effective pollution control and management in Nigeria
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 13-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Environmental Studies, Abia State University, P M B 2000, Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria