A modified Boyden chamber assay for tumor cell transendothelial migration in vitro
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have developed a modified Boyden chamber system for assessing tumor cell transmigration across endothelial monolayer in vitro. This radiometric-based method allows us to take into account the cells which have traversed but detached from the filter, a significant fraction not included in the existing method of visual counting. The method was applied to examine six malignant and one non-malignant cell lines. The variable invasive potentials of these cells were found to correlate with their ability to disrupt the endothelial cell monolayers.
- Kohn E. Invasion and metastasis: Biology and clinical potential, Pharmac Ther 1991; 52: 235–44.
- Kramer RH, Nicolson GL. Interactions of tumor cells with vascular endothelial cell monolayers: a model for metastatic invasion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1979; 76: 5704–8.
- Albini A, Iwamoto Y, Kleinman HK et al. A rapid in vitro assay for quantitating the invasive potential of tumor cells. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 3239–45.
- Okada T, Okuno H, Mitsui Y. A novel in vitro assay system for transendothelial tumor cell invasion: significance of E-selectin and alpha 3 integrin in the transendothelial invasion by HT1080 fibrosarcoma cells. Clin Exp Metastasis 1994; 12: 305-14.
- Muir D, Sukhu L, Johnson J et al. Quantitative methods for scoring cell migration and invasion in filter-based assays. Anal Biochem 1993; 215: 104–9.
- Sieuwerts AM, Klijn JG, Foekens JA. Assessment of the invasive potential of human gynecological tumor cell lines with the in vitro Boyden chamber assay: Influences of the ability of cells to migrate through the filter membrane. Clin Exp Metastasis 1997; 15: 53–62.
- Lewalle JM, Cataldo D, Bajou K et al. Endothelial cell intracellular Ca2+ concentration is increased upon breast tumor cell contact and mediates tumor cell transendothelial migration. Clin Exp Metastasis 1998; 16: 21–9.
- Soeda S, Honda O, Shimeno H. Vascular endothelial cell monolayer formed on membrane filter potentiates the defense against tumor cell invasion by treatment with brefeldin A. Cancer Lett 1996; 108: 49–54.
- Noble PB, Levine MD. Boyden chamber technique. In: Computer-Assisted Analyses of Cell Locomotion and Chemotaxis. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Inc. 1986; 9–11.
- Gallin JI, Clark RA, Kimball HR. Granulocyte chemotaxis: an improved in vitro assay employing 51 Cr-labeled granulocytes. J Immunol 1973; 110: 233–40.
- Issekutz AC, Lopes N. Endotoxin activation of endothelium for polymorphonuclear leucocyte transendothelial migration and modulation by interferon-gamma. Immunology 1993; 79: 600–7.
- Bianchi G, Sironi M, Ghibaudi E et al. Migration of natural killer cells across endothelial cell monolayers. J Immunol 1993; 151: 5135–44.
- D'Amico G, Bianchi G, Bernasconi S et al. Adhesion, transendothelial migration, and reverse transmigration of in vitro cultured dendritic cells. Blood 1998; 92: 207–14.
- Okada T, Li J, Kodaka M, Okuno H. Enhancement of type IV collagenases by highly metastatic variants of HT1080 fibrosarcoma cells established by a transendothelial invasion system in vitro. Clin Exp Metastasis 1998; 16: 267–74.
- Kusama T, Nakamori S, Ohigashi H et al. Enhancement of in vitro tumor-cell transcellular migration by tumor-cell-secreted endothelialcell-retraction factor. Int J Cancer 1995; 63: 112–8.
- Hirai K, Shimada H, Ogawa T, Taji S. The spread of human lung cancer cells on collagen and its inhibition by type III collagen. Clin Exp Metastasis 1991; 9: 517–27.
- Jones PA, Neustein HB, Gonzales F, Bogenmann E. Invasion of an artificial blood vessel wall by human fibrosarcoma cells. Cancer Res 1981; 41: 4613–20.
- Trainer DL, Kline T, McCabe FL et al. Biological characterization and oncogene expression in human colorectal carcinoma cell lines. Int J Cancer 1988; 41: 287–96.
- Swerlick RA, Lee KH, Wick TM, Lawley TJ. Human dermal microvascular endothelial but not human umbilical vein endothelial cells express CD36 in vivo and in vitro. J Immunol 1992; 148: 78–83.
- A modified Boyden chamber assay for tumor cell transendothelial migration in vitro
Clinical & Experimental Metastasis
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 423-429
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- radiometric technique
- Industry Sectors