Where to shoot your pilodyn: within tree variation in basic density in plantation Eucalyptus globulus and E. nitens in Tasmania
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Longitudinal patterns of within tree variation for basic density were determined for plantation Eucalyptus globulus (ages 5 and 10 years) and E. nitens (ages 5, 10 and 15 years) growing in three geographic areas in Tasmania. Each tree was sampled by taking discs from a combination of percentage heights (0, 10, 20 ___ 70%) and fixed height samples (0.5 m, 0.7 m ___ 1.5 m). At each of the fixed heights, a single pilodyn reading was taken from each of 4 aspects. Weighted whole tree density was calculated from the percentage height samples and used for correlation and regression analysis with the fixed height samples. Both species showed an initial drop in density between the felling cut (zero height) and 0.5 m, followed by a linear increase in density between 10% and 70% of tree height. Slope of fitted regressions were parallel within species but differed significantly between the species (1.14 kg/m3 and 1.62 kg/m3 per 1% increase in height above 10% for E. globulus and E. nitens, respectively). Density at all fixed heights was highly correlated with whole tree values for E. globulus, but results were variable across sites for E. nitens. Both species were found to contain trees which produced aberrant pilodyn readings. For E. globulus, the optimal sampling height was 1.3 m above ground and the mean pilodyn reading was found to predict whole tree density with an accuracy of ±21 kg/m3. For E. nitens, optimal sampling height was 1.5 m above ground. However, pilodyn readings around the stem were not very repeatable and correlations with whole tree density were lower, resulting in the accuracy of prediction of whole tree density being ±26 kg/m3.
- Bamber, R.K., Floyd, A.G., Humphries, F.R. (1969) Wood properties of Flooded Gum. Australian Forestry 33: pp. 3-12
- Bamber, R.K., Humphries, F.R. (1963) A preliminary study of some wood properties of Eucalyptus grandis(Hill) Maiden. Journal of the Institute of Wood Science 2: pp. 66-70
- Batchelor, B.K., Crawford, I.A., Turner, C.H. (1970) The assessment of a forest for pulping. Appita 24: pp. 27-44
- Becker, W.A. 1967. Manual of Procedures in Quantitative Genetics. Washington State University, 130 pp.
- Bhat, K.M., Bhat, K.V., Dhamodaran, T.K. (1990) Wood Density and Fiber Length of Eucalyptus grandisgrown in Kerala, India. Wood and Fiber Science 22: pp. 54-61
- Cown, D.J. 1981. Use of the Pilodyn wood tester for estimating wood density in standing trees - influence of site and tree age. 7XVII IUFRO World Forestry Conference, Kyoto, Japan, Sept. 1981.
- Dean, G.H., French, J. and Tibbits, W.N. 1990. Variation in pulp and papermaking characteristics in a field trial of Eucalyptus globulus. Appita 44th Annual General conference. Rotorua. April 1990.
- Ferreira, M. (1972) Variacao da densidade basica da madeira de povoamentos commerciais de Eucalyptus grandisHill ex Maiden nas idades de 11, 12, 13, 14 e 16 anos. IPEF 4: pp. 65-89
- Frederick, D.J., Madgwick, H.A.I., Oliver, G.R. (1982) Wood basic density and moisture content of young Eucalyptus regnansgrown in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 12: pp. 494-500
- Greaves, B.L., Borralho, N.M.G., Raymond, C.A., Farrington, A. (1996) Use of a Pilodyn for the indirect selection of basic density in Eucalyptus nitens. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: pp. 1643-1650
- Hans, A.S. (1976) Variation in wood density of Eucalyptus grandis(Hill) Maiden and Eucalyptus tereticornisSm.. Zambian Journal of Science and Technology 1: pp. 109-112
- King, J.N., Yeh, F.C., Heaman, J. C., Dancik, B.P. (1988) Selection of wood density and diameter in controlled crosses of coastal Douglas fir.. Silvae Genetica 37: pp. 152-157
- Malan, F. S. (1988) Genetic variation in some growth and wood properties among 18 full-sib families of South African grown Eucalyptus grandis: A preliminary Investigation. South African Forestry Journal 146: pp. 38-43
- Manfredi, V. 1985. Variacao do rendimeto em cellulose sulfato ao longo do tronco do Eucalyptus grandisHill ex Maiden e E. salignaSnith. M Sc Thesis, Piracicaba, Estado de Sao Paulo, Brasil.
- Moura, V.P.G., Barnes, R.D., Birks, J.S. (1987) A comparison of three methods of assessing wood density in provenances of Eucalyptus camaldulensisDehnh. and other Eucalyptusspecies in Brazil. Australian Forest Research 17: pp. 83-90
- Nicholls, J.W.P., Griffin, A.R. (1978) Variation in wood characteristics in a field trial of Eucalyptus obliqua, E. regnansand some intermediate forms. Australian Forest Research 8: pp. 93-102
- Nicholls, J.W.P., Pederick, L.A. (1979) Variation in some wood characteristics of Eucalyptus nitens. Australian Forest Research 9: pp. 309-321
- Purnell, R.C. (1988) Variation in wood properties of Eucalyptus nitensin a provenance trial on the eastern Transvaal highveld in South Africa. South African Forestry Journal 144: pp. 10-22
- Raymond, C.A. 1995. Genetic control of wood and fibre traits in Eucalypts. In: Potts, B.M., Borralho, N.M.G., Reid, J.B., Cromer, R.N., Tibbits, W.N. and Raymond, C. A. (Eds) “Eucalypt Plantations: Improving Fibre Yield and Quality”. Proc. CRCTHFIUFRO Conf. Hobart, February, 1995, pp 49–53.
- Rudman, P., Higgs, M., Davidson, J. and Malajczuk, N. 1969. Breeding eucalypts for wood properties. Second World Consultation on Forest Tree Breeding, Washington, USA, August, 1969. FOFTB694/ 7.
- Sturion, J.A., Pereira, J.C.D., Albino, J.C., Morita, M. (1987) Variation in wood density in twelve Eucalytusspecies grown in Uberaba, MG. Bol. Pesq. Flor., Curitiba 14: pp. 29-38
- TAPPI 1989. Basic density and moisture content of pulpwood. TAPPI no. T258 om98.
- Taylor, F. (1973) Anatomical wood properties of South African grown Eucalyptus grandis. South African Forestry Journal 84: pp. 20-24
- Taylor, F. (1973) Variations in the anatomical wood properties of South African grown Eucalyptus grandis. Appita 273: pp. 171-178
- Wilkins, A.P. (1990) Influence of silvicultural treatment on growth and wood density of Eucalyptus grandisgrown on a previous pasture site. Australian Forestry 53: pp. 168-172
- Wilkins, A.P, Horne, R. (1991) Wood density variation of young plantation grown Eucalyptus grandisin response to silvicultural treatments. Forest Ecology and Management 40: pp. 39-50
- Where to shoot your pilodyn: within tree variation in basic density in plantation Eucalyptus globulus and E. nitens in Tasmania
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 205-221
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- height variation
- sampling height
- tree breeding
- Industry Sectors