Toward an Understanding of Religiousness and Marketing Ethics: An Empirical Study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study examines the influence of religiousness on different components of marketing professionals' ethical decision making: personal moral philosophies, perceived ethical problem, and ethical intentions. The data are from a national survey of the American Marketing Associations' professional members. The results generally indicate that the religiousness of a marketer can partially explain his or her perception of an ethical problem and behavioral intentions. Results also suggest that the religiousness significantly influences the personal moral philosophies of marketers.
- Akaah, Ishmael P.: 1997, 'Influence of Deontological and Teleological Factors on Research Ethics Evaluations', Journal of Business Research 39, 71–80.
- Allport, Gordon: 1954, The Nature of Prejudice (Doubleday, New York).
- Allport, Gordon: 1967, 'Personal Religious Orientation and Prejudice', Journal of Personal and Social Psychology 5, 432–443.
- Armstrong, J. Scott and Terry S. Overton: 1977, 'Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys', Journal of Marketing Research 14 (August),396–402.
- Barnett, Tim, Ken Bass and Gene Brown: 1996, 'Religiosity, Ethical Ideology, and Intentions to Report a Peer's Wrongdoing', Journal of Business Ethics 15, 1161–1174.
- Clark, James W. and Lyndon E. Dawson: 1996, 'Personal Religiousness and Ethical Judgements: An Empirical Analysis', Journal of Business Ethics 15, 359–372.
- DeJong, Gordon F., Joseph E. Faulkner and Rex H. Warland: 1976, 'Dimensions of Religiosity Reconsidered: Evidence From a Cross-Cultural Study', Social Forces 54 (June), 866–889.
- Demerath, J. J. III. and K. J. Letterman: 1969, 'The Student Parishioner: Radical Rhetoric and Traditional Reality', in Kenneth Underwood (ed.), The Church, The University and Social Policy (Wesleyan University Press, Middletown).
- Dornoff, R. J. and C. B. Tankersley: 1975, 'Perceptual Differences in Market Transactions: A Source of Consumer Frustration', Journal of Consumer Affairs 9, 97–103.
- Engel, James F., Roger D. Blackwell and David T. Kollat: 1978, Consumer Behavior, 3rd ed. (Dryden, Hinsdale, Ill.).
- Ferrell, O. C. and Larry G. Gresham: 1985, 'A Contingency Framework for Understanding Ethical Decision Making in Marketing', Journal of Marketing 49 (Summer), 87–96.
- Ferrell, O. C., Larry G. Gresham and John Fraedrich: 1989, 'A Synthesis of Ethical Decision Models for Marketing', Journal of Macromarketing 11 (Fall), 55–64.
- Forsyth, Donelson R.: 1980, 'A Taxonomy of Ethical Ideologies', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 39(1), 175–184.
- Forsyth, Donelson R.: 1992, 'Judging the Morality of Business Practices: The Influence of Personal Moral Philosophies', Journal of Business Ethics 11 (May), 461–470.
- Genia, Vicky: 1993, 'A Psychometric Evaluation of the Allport-Ross I/E Scales in a Religiously Heterogeneous Sample', Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 32(3), 284–290.
- Hegarty, W. H. and H. P. Sims, Jr: 1978, 'Some Determinants of Unethical Decision Behavior: An Experiment', Journal of Applied Psychology 63(4), 451–457.
- Hegarty, W. H. and H. P. Sims, Jr: 1979, 'Organizational Philosophy, Policies and Objectives Related to Unethical Decision Behavior: A Laboratory Experiment', Journal of Applied Psychology 64(3), 331–338.
- Higginson, Richard: 1988, Dilemmas: A Christian Approach to Moral Decision Making (John Knox Press, Louisville).
- Herman, Stewart W.: 1997, 'Enlarging the Conversation', Business Ethics Quarterly 7 (March), 5–20.
- Hirschman, Elizabeth C.: 1983, 'Religious Affiliation and Consumption Processes: An Initial Paradigm', in Jagdish Sheth (ed.), Research in Marketing, vol. 6, pp. 131–170.
- Howard, John A. and Jagdish N. Sheth: 1969, The Theory of Buyer Behavior (John Wiley & Sons, New York).
- Hunt, Shelby D. and Lawrence B. Chonko: 1984, 'Marketing and Machiavellianism', Journal of Marketing 48 (Summer), 30–42.
- Hunt, Shelby D. and Scott J. Vitell: 1986, 'A General Theory of Marketing Ethics', Journal of Macromarketing 8 (Spring): 5–16.
- Hunt, Shelby D. and Scott J. Vitell: 1993, General Theory of Marketing Ethics: A Retrospective and Revision', in N. Craig Smith and John A. Quelch (eds.), Ethics in Marketing (Irwin, Homewood, IL), pp. 775–784.
- Hunt, Shelby D. and Arturo Z. Vasquez-Parraga: 1993, 'Organizational Consequences, Marketing Ethics, and Salesforce Supervision', Journal of Marketing Research 30 (February), 78–90.
- Jacobs, Margaret A.: October 10, 1995, 'Courts Conflicted Over Religion in Workplace', The Wall Street Journal.
- Jones, Thomas M.: 1991, 'Ethical Decision Making by Individuals in Organizations: An Issue-Contingent Model', Academy of Management Review 16 (April): 366–395.
- Kennedy, Ellen J. and Leigh Lawton: 1998, 'Religiousness and Business Ethics', Journal of Business Ethics 17, 163–175.
- Kidwell, J. M., R. E. Stevens and A. L. Bethke: 1987, 'Differences in the Ethical Perceptions Between Male and Female Managers: Myth or Reality', Journal of Business Ethics 6, 489–493.
- Klein, Thomas: 1987, 'Prophets and Profits-A Macromarketing Perspective on Economic Justice for All: Catholic Social Teaching and the U.S. Economy', Journal of Macromarketing 7 (Spring), 59–77. Marketing News: December 8, 1997, 'Silent Night, Snowy Night.'
- Mascarenhas, Oswald A. J.: 1995, 'Exonerating Unethical Marketing Executive Behaviors: A Diagnostic Framework', Journal of Marketing 59 (April), 43–57.
- Mayo, Michael A. and Lawrence J. Marks: 1990, 'An Empirical Investigation of a General Theory of Marketing Ethics', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 18(2), 163–171.
- McNichols, C. W. and T. W. Zimmerer: 1985, 'Situational Ethics: An Empirical Study of Differentiators of Student Attitudes', Journal of Business Ethics 4, 175–180.
- Mittelstaedt, John: 1995, 'Exploring Some Relationships Between Religion and the Marketplace', in Sanford L. Grossbart and Dana-Nicoleta Lascu (eds.), Understanding Change From a Macromarketing Perspective, vol. 20, pp. 8–14.
- Morgan, Robert M. and Shelby D. Hunt: 1994, 'The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing', Journal of Marketing 58, 20–38.
- Murphy, Patrick E. and Gene R. Laczniak: 1981, 'Marketing Ethics: A Review with Implications For Managers, Educators, and Researchers', in Ben M. Enis and Kenneth J. Roering (eds.), Review of Marketing (American Marketing Association, Chicago), pp. 251–266.
- Naisbitt, John and Patricia Aburdene: 1990, Megatrends 2000 (Avon Books, New York).
- Rallapalli, Kumar C.: 1994, 'Marketers' Norms: An Empirical Investigation of the Influence of Personal and Situational Factors on Marketers' Deontological Norms', Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation (University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS).
- Reidenbach, Eric, D. P. Robin and Lyndon Dawson: 1991, 'An Application and Extension of a Multidimensional Ethics Scale to Selected Marketing Practices and Marketing Groups', Journal of Academy of Marketing Science 19 (Spring), 83–92.
- Schlenker, B. R. and Donelson R. Forsyth: 1977, 'On the Ethics of Psychological Research, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 13: 369–396.
- Singhapakdi, Anusorn and Scott J. Vitell: 1990, 'Marketing Ethics: Factors Influencing Perceptions of Ethical Problems and Alternatives', Journal of Macromarketing 10 (Spring), 4–18.
- Singhapakdi, Anusorn, Kenneth L. Kraft, Scott J. Vitell and Kumar C. Rallapalli: 1995, 'The Perceived Importance of Ethics and Social Responsibility in Achieving Organizational Effectiveness: A Survey of Marketers', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 23 (Winter), 49–56.
- Singhapakdi, Anusorn, Scott J. Vitell and Kenneth L. Kraft: 1996, 'Moral Intensity and Ethical Decision-Making of Marketing Professionals', Journal of Business Research 36 (July), 245–255.
- Swan, John E. and Johannah Jones Nolan: 1985, 'Gaining Customer Trust: A Conceptual Guide for the Salesperson', Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management (November), 39–48.
- Swan, John E., Fred Trawick, Jr., David R. Rink and Jenny J. Roberts: 1988, 'Measuring Dimensions of Purchaser Trust of Industrial Salespeople', Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management 8 (May), 1–9.
- Tansey, Richard, Gene Brown, Michael R. Hyman and Lyndon E. Dawson, Jr.: 1994, 'Personal Moral Philosophies and the Moral Judgments of Salespeople', Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management 14(1), 59–75.
- Vitell, Scott J. and Shelby D. Hunt: 1990, 'The General Theory of Marketing Ethics: A Partial Test of the Model', in Jagdish N. Sheth (ed.), Research in Marketing, Vol. 10 (JAI Press, Greenwich, CT), pp. 237–265.
- Vitell, Scott J., Kumar C. Rallapalli and A. Singhapakdi: 1993, 'Marketing Norms: The Influence of Personal Moral Philosophies and Organizational Ethical Culture', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 21(4) (Fall): 331–338.
- Wiebe, Ken F. and J. Roland Fleck: 1980, 'Personality Correlates of Intrinsic, Extrinsic and Non-Religious Orientations', Journal of Psychology 105, 181–187.
- Wilkes, Robert E., John Burnett and Roy D. Howell: 1986, 'On the Meaning and Measurement of Religiosity in Consumer Research', Journal of Academy of Marketing Science 14 (Spring): 47–55.
- Toward an Understanding of Religiousness and Marketing Ethics: An Empirical Study
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 27, Issue 4 , pp 305-319
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Marketing Area, College of Business & Public Administration, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 23529-0220, U.S.A.
- 2. Northwest Missouri State University, U.S.A.
- 3. GlaxoWellcome Inc., U.S.A.
- 4. Kuwait University, Kuwait