Measuring Corporate Citizenship in Two Countries: The Case of the United States and France
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Based on an extensive review of the literature and field surveys, the paper proposes a conceptualization and operationalization of corporate citizenship meaningful in two countries: the United States and France. A survey of 210 American and 120 French managers provides support for the proposed definition of corporate citizenship as a construct including the four correlated factors of economic, legal, ethical, and discretionary citizenship. The managerial implications of the research and directions for future research are discussed.
- Ackerman, R. W. and R. A. Bauer: 1976, The Social Challenge to Business (Reston Publishing, Reston, VA).
- Agarwal, S.: 1992, 'Influence of Formalization on Role Stress, Organizational Commitment, and Work Alienation of Salespersons: A Cross-National Comparative Study', Journal of International Business Studies (Fourth Quarter), 715–739.
- Anderson, J. C. and D. W. Gerbing: 1988, 'Some Methods for Respecifying Measurement Models to Obtain Unidimensional Construct Measurement', Journal of Marketing Research 19 (November), 453–460.
- Armstrong, J. S. and T. S. Overton: 1977, 'Estimating Non-Response Bias in Mail Surveys', Journal of Marketing Research 14 (August), 396–402.
- Aupperle, K. E., A. B. Carroll and J. D. Hatfield: 1985, 'An Empirical Examination of the Relationship Between Corporate Social Responsibility and Profitability', Academy of Management Journal 28(2), 46–463.
- Bagozzi, R. P.: 1981, 'Evaluating Structural Equations Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error', Journal of Marketing Research 18 (August), 375–381.
- Bagozzi, R. P. and Y. Yi: 1988, 'On the Evaluation of Structural Equation Models', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 16 (Spring), 74–94.
- Baucus, M. S. and D. A. Baucus: 1997, 'Paying the Piper: An Empirical Examination of Longer-Term Financial Consequences of Illegal Corporate Behavior', Academy of Management Journal 40(1), 129–151.
- Bollen, K. A.: 1989, Structural Equations with Latent Variables (John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY).
- Bragdon, J. H., Jr. and J. T. Marlin: 1979, 'Is Pollution Profitable?', Risk Management 19(4), 9–18.
- Burke, L. and J. M. Logsdon: 1996, 'How Corporate Measuring Corporate Citizenship in Two Countries 295 Social Responsibility Pays Off', Long Range Planning 29(4), 495–502.
- Carroll, A. B.: 1979, 'A Three-Dimensional Conceptual Model of Corporate Performance', Academy of Management Review 4(4), 497–505.
- Carroll, A. B.: 1991, 'Corporate Social Performance Measurement: A Comment on Methods for Evaluating an Elusive Construct', in L. E. Post (ed.), Research in Corporate Social Performance and Policy 12, 385–401.
- Clarkson, M. B. E.: 1995, 'A Stakeholder Framework for Analyzing and Evaluating Corporate Social Performance', Academy of Management Review 20(1), 92–117.
- Davidson, W. N. and D. L. Worrell: 1990, 'A Comparison and Test of the Use of Accounting and Stock Market Data in Relating Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance', Akron Business and Economic Review 21, 7–19.
- Donaldson, T. and L. E. Preston: 1995, 'The Stakeholder Theory of the Corporation: Concepts, Evidence, and Implications', Academy of Management Review 20(1), 65–91.
- Enriquez, E.: 1992, 'L'Entreprise Comme Lien Social-Un Collosse aux Pieds d'Argile', in R. Sainsaulieu (ed.), L'Entreprise, Une Affaire de Société (Presse de la Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques, Paris), pp. 203–228.
- Fornell, C. and D. F. Larcker: 1981, 'Evaluating Structural Equations Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error', Journal of Marketing Research 18 (February), 39–50.
- Gerbing, D. W. and J. C. Anderson: 1992, 'Monte-Carlo Evaluations of Goodness of Fit Indices for Structural Equations Models', Sociological Methods and Research 21(2), 132–160.
- Griffin, J. J. and J. F. Mahon: 1997, 'The Corporate Social Performance and Corporate Financial Performance Debate', Business and Society 36(1), 5–31.
- Hair, J. F., R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham and W. C. Black: 1995, Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings, 3rd ed. (MacMillan Publishing, New York).
- Huber, G. P. and D. J. Power: 1985, 'Retrospective Reports of Strategic-Level Managers: Guidelines for Increasing their Accuracy', Strategic Management Journal 6 (April-June), 171–180.
- Hult, G. T. M. and O. C. Ferrell: 1997, 'Global Organizational Learning Capacity in Purchasing: Construct and Measurement', Journal of Business Research 40(2), 97–111.
- Kohli, A. K., B. J. Jaworski and A. J. Kumar: 1993, 'MARKOR: A Measure of Market Orientation', Journal of Marketing Research 30 (November), 467–477.
- Kraft, K. L.: 1990, 'The Relative Importance of Social Responsibility in Determining Organizational Effectiveness: Student Responses', Journal of Business Ethics 10, 179–188.
- Lewin, A. Y., T. Sakano, C. U. Stevens and B. Victor: 1995, 'Corporate Citizenship in Japan: Survey from Japanese Firms', Journal of Business Ethics 14(2), 83–101.
- Maignan, I. And O. C. Ferrell: 1999, 'Antecedents of Corporate Citizenship: An Investigation of French Businesses', Journal of Business Research (Forthcoming).
- McDonald, R. P. and H. W. Marsh: 1990, 'Choosing a Multivariate Model: Noncentrality and Goodness of Fit', Psychological Bulletin 107(2), 247–255.
- McGuire, J. B., A. Sundgren and T. Schneeweis: 1988, 'Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Financial Performance', Academy of Management Journal 31(4), 854–872.
- Mullen, J.: 1997, 'Performance-Based Corporate Philanthropy: How "Giving Smart" Can Further Corporate Goals', Public Relations Quarterly, 42–48.
- Nunnally, J. C.: 1978, Psychometric Theory, 2nd ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York).
- Perret, B. and G. Roustang: 1993, L'Economie Contre la Société-Affronter la Crise de l'Intégration Sociale et Culturelle (Editions du Seuil, Paris).
- Pinkston, T. S. and A. B. Carroll: 1994, 'Corporate Citizenship Perspectives and Foreign Direct Investment in the U.S.', Journal of Business Ethics 13, 157–169.
- Preston, L. E. and D. P. O'Bannon: 1978, 'Analyzing Corporate Social Performance: Methods and Results', Journal of Contemporary Business 7, 135–149.
- Schlegelmick, B. B. and D. C. Robertson: 1995, 'A Influence of Country and Industry on Ethical Perceptions of Senior Executives in the U.S. and Europe', Journal of International Business Studies 4, 879–881.
- Sethi, S. P.: 1979, 'A Conceptual Framework for Environmental Analysis of Social Issues and Evaluation of Business Response Patterns', Academy of Management Review 4(1), 63–74.
- Sharfman, M.: 1993, 'A Construct Validity Study of the KLD Social Performance Data', in D. Collins (ed.), Proceedings of the International Association of Business and Society 4, 551–556.
- Singhapakdi, A., K. Kraft, S. J. Vitell and K. C. Rallapalli: 1995, 'The Perceived Importance of Ethics and Social Responsibility on Organizational Effectiveness: A Survey of Marketers', Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 23(1), 49–56.
- Spencer, B. A. and G. S. Taylor: 1987, 'A Within and Between Analysis of the Relationship Between Corporate Social Responsibility and Financial Performance', Akron Business and Economic Review 18, 7–18.
- Stanwick, P. A. and S. D. Stanwick: 1998, 'The Relationship Between Corporate Social Performance, and Organizational Size, Financial Performance, and Environmental Performance: An Empirical Examination', Journal of Business Ethics, 196–204.
- Thomas, A. S. and R. L. Simerly: 1995, 'Internal Determinants of Corporate Social Performance: The Role of Top Managers', Academy of Management Journal Best Paper Proceedings, 411–415.
- Turban, D. B. and D. W. Greening: 1996, 'Corporate Social Performance and Organizational Attractiveness to Prospective Employees', Academy of Management Journal 40(3), 658–672.
- Victor, B. and J. B. Cullen: 1987, 'A Theory and Measurement of Ethical Climate in Organizations,' in Barnett A. Greenberg and Danny N. Bellenger (eds.), Research in Corporate Social Performance and Policy (American Marketing Association, Chicago), pp. 477–481.
- Waddock, S. E. and S. B. Graves: 1997, 'The Corporate Social Performance-Financial Performance Link', Strategic Management Journal 18(4), 303–319.
- Wartick, S. L. and P. L. Cochran: 1985. 'The Evolution of the Corporate Social Performance Model', Academy of Management Review 10(4), 758–769.
- Wood, D.: 1991, 'Corporate Social Performance Revisited', Academy of Management Review 16(4), 691–718.
- Measuring Corporate Citizenship in Two Countries: The Case of the United States and France
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 283-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- corporate citizenship
- corporate social performance
- corporate social responsibility
- cross-cultural research
- measurement equivalence
- scale development
- stakeholder management
- Industry Sectors