Risk factors for diabetic retinopathy among Saudi diabetics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Purpose: To describe the incidence of, and risk factors associated with, diabetic retinopathy in diabetic persons assessed at a Saudi diabetes centre. Methods: Five hundred and two patients with diabetes mellitus assessed by our service were studied. There were 174 patients (34.7%) with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) and 328 patients (65.3%) with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). Results: The incidence of retinopathy was 157/502 (31.3%). The incidence was 42.5% in patients with IDDM and 25.3% in those with NIDDM. By logistic regression analysis, it was shown that old age (>60 years), insulin use, long duration of diabetes (>10 years), poor diabetes control, and the presence of nephropathy were significantly associated with the incidence of retinopathy. On the basis of the magnitudes of the regression coefficients in the hazard function, long duration of diabetes was the most important independent risk factor for the development of retinopathy; the presence of nephropathy, age >60 years, poor diabetes control, and use of insulin were less important (regression coefficients: 1.9, 1.71, 1.331, 0.8508 and 0.6178, respectively). The incidence of macular oedema was significantly associated with the presence of hypertension and high cholesterol levels in patients with IDDM. Polycotomous regression analysis showed that the presence of nephropathy was the only factor significantly associated with the severity of retinopathy. Conclusions: The significant associations with poor control and duration of diabetes provide further strong evidence for the benefits of optimal glycaemic control. Other potentially modifiable risk factors for retinopathy may be important, including elevated blood pressure and serum cholesterol.
- Klein R, Klein BEK. Vision disorders in diabetes. In: National Diabetes Data Group. Diabetes in America: Diabetes Data Compiled 1984. Chap. XIII. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1985.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Study Group. Photocoagulation treatment of proliferative diabetic retinopathy: clinical application of the Diabetic Retinopathy Study (DRS) findings. Ophthalmology 1981; 88: 583–600.
- Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema. Arch Ophthalmol 1985; 103: 1796–1806.
- British Multicentre Study Group. Photocoagulation for diabetic maculopathy. Diabetes 1983; 32: 1010–1016.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care for patients with diabetes mellitus (Position Statement). Diabetes Care 1988; 21: S23–S31.
- Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Early treatment diabetic retinopathy study design and baseline patient characteristics. ETDRS report number 7. Ophthalmology 1991; 98: 741–756.
- Chen M-S, Kao C-S, Change C-J, Wu Ta-J, Fu C-C, Chen C-J, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of diabetic retinopathy among non-insulin-dependent diabetic subjects. Am J Ophthalmol 1992; 114: 723–730.
- Klein R, Klein BEK, Moss SE, Davis MD, De Mets DL. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, III. Prevalence and risk of diabetic retinopathy when age at diagnosis is 30 or more years. Arch Ophthalmol 1984; 102: 527–532.
- Klein R, Klein BEK, Moss Se, Davis Md, DeMets DL. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, II. Prevalence and risk of diabetic retinopathy when age at diagnosis is less than 30 years. Arch Opthalmol 1984; 102: 520–526.
- Sjolie AK, Stephenson J, Aldington S, Kohner F, Janka H, Stevens L, et al. Retinopathy and vision loss in insulin-dependent diabetes in Europe. The EURODIAB IDDM complications study. Ophthalmology 1997; 104: 252–260.
- Pinto-Figueiredo L, Moita J, Genro V, Vinagre M, Laires R, Rosa MJ, et al. Diabetic retinopathy in a population of 1,302 insulin dependent diabetics (IDDM) diagnosed before 30 years of age. Int Ophthalmol 1992; 16: 429–437. CrossRef
- Sparrow JM, McLeod BK, Smith TDW, Birch MK, Rosenthal R. The prevalence of diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy and their risk factors in the non-insulin-treated diabetic patients of an English town. Eye 1993; 7: 158–163.
- Klein R. Hyperglycemia and microvascular and macrovascular disease in diabetes. Diabetes Care 1995; 18: 258–268.
- Klein R, Palta M, Allen C, Shen G, Han DP, D'Alessio DJ. Incidence of retinopathy and associated risk factors from time of diagnosis of insulin-dependent diabetes. Arch Ophthalmol 1997; 115: 351–356.
- Goldstein DE, Blinder KJ, Ide CH, Wilson RJ, Wiedmeyer H-M, Little RR, et al. Glycemic control and development of retinopathy in youth-onset insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Results of a 12-year longitudinal study. Ophthalmology 1993; 100: 1125–1132.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 977–986. CrossRef
- Gaster B, Hirsch IB. The effects of improved glycemic control on complications in type 2 diabetes. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 134–140. CrossRef
- Klein R, Moss SE, Klein BEK. Is gross proteinuria a risk factor for the incidence of proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Ophthalmology 1993; 100: 1140–1146.
- Cruickshanks KJ, Ritter LL, Klein R, Moss SE. The association of microalbuminuria with diabetic retinopathy. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy. Ophthalmology 1993; 100: 862–867.
- Klein BEK, Moss SE, Klein R, Surawicz TS. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, XIII. Relationship of serum cholesterol to retinopathy and hard exudates. Ophthalmology 1991; 98: 1261–1265.
- Chase HP, Garg SK, Jackson WE, Thomas MA, Harris S, Marshall G, et al. Blood pressure and retinopathy in type 1 diabetes. Ophthalmology 1990; 97: 155–159.
- Klein R, Klein BEK, Moss SE, Davis MD, DeMets DL. Is blood pressure a predictor of the incidence or progression of diabetic retinopathy? Arch Intern Med 1989; 149: 2427–2432. CrossRef
- Klein BEK, Klein R, Moss SE, Palta M. A cohort study of the relationship of diabetic retinopathy to blood pressure. Arch Ophthalmol 1995; 113: 601–606.
- Klein R, Klein BEK, Moss SE, Davis MD, DeMets DL. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, VI. Diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmology 1984; 91: 1464–1474.
- Klein R, Klein BEK, Moss SE, Cruickshanks KJ. The Wisconsin epidemiologic study of diabetic retinopathy, XV. The long-term incidence of macular edema. Ophthalmology 1995; 102: 7–16.
- Bresnick GH. Diabetic maculopathy: A critical review highlighting diffuse macular edema. Ophthalmology 1983; 90: 1301–1317.
- Kinyoun J, Barton F, Fisher M, Hubbard L, AielIo L, Ferris F III, et al. Detection of diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmoscopy versus photography. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Report Number 5. Ophthalmology 1989; 96: 746–751.
- Lee VS, Kingsley RM, Lee ET, Lu M, Russell D, Asal NR, Bradford RH Jr, et al. The diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy. Ophthalmoscopy versus fundus photography. Ophthalmology 1993; 100: 1504–1512.
- Risk factors for diabetic retinopathy among Saudi diabetics
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 155-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- diabetic retinopathy
- risk factors
- insulin treatment
- non-insulin treatment
- diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors