Laboratory Kinetic Studies of the Reactions of Cl Atoms with Species of Biogenic Origin: δ3-Carene, Isoprene, Methacrolein and Methyl Vinyl Ketone
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The rate coefficients for the reaction between atomic chlorine and a number of naturally occurring species have been measured at ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure using the relative rate technique. The values obtained were (4.0 ± 0.8) × 10-10, (2.1 ± 0.5) × 10-10, (3.2 ± 0.5) × 10-10, and (4.9 ± 0.5) × 10-10 cm3 molecule-1 s-1, for reactions with isoprene, methyl vinyl ketone, methacrolein and δ3-carene, respectively. The value obtained for isoprene compares favourably with previously reported values. No values have been reported to date for the rate constants of the other reactions.
- Aschmann, S.M., Atkinson R., 1995: Rate constants for the gas-phase reactions of alkanes with Cl atoms at 296 ± 2 K, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 27, 613.
- Atkinson, R., Aschmann, S.M., Pitts, J.N. Jr., 1983: Effects of ring strain on gas-phase rate constants.2. OH radical reactions with cycloalkenes, Int. J. Chem. Kinet., 15 1161.
- Bedjanian, Y., Laverdet, G., Le Bras, G., 1998: Low-pressure study of the reaction of Cl atoms with isoprene, J. Phys. Chem., 102, 953.
- Beichert, P. Wingen, L. Lee, J., Vogt, R., Ezell, M.J., Ragains, M., Neavyn, R., Finlayson-Pitts B.J., 1995: Rate constants for the reactions of Cl atoms with some simple alkanes at 298 K: measurement of a self-consistent set using both absolute and relative rate methods, J. Phys. Chem., 99, 13156.
- Brauers T., Finlayson-Pitts, B.J., 1997: Analysis of relative rate rate measurements, Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 29, 665.
- Keene, W.C., Jacob, D.J., Fan, S.-M., 1996: Reactive chlorine: A potential sink for dimethyl sulphide and hydrocarbons in the marine boundary layer, Atmos. Environ., 30, R1-R3.
- Kleindienst, T.E., Harris, G.W., Pitts, J.N. Jr., 1982: Rates and temperature dependences of the reactions of OH with isoprene, its oxidation products and selected terpenes, Environ. Sci. Technol., 16 844.
- Lewis, A.C., Bartle, K.D., Heard, D.E., McQuaid, J.B., Pilling, M.J., 1997: In situ gas chromatographic measurements of non-methane hydrocarbons and dimethyl sulfide at a remote coastal location (Mace Head, Eire) July-August 1996, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans., 93, 2921.
- Notario, A., LeBras, G., Mellouki, A., 1997: Kinetics of Cl atom reactions with butadienes including including isoprene, Chem. Phys. Lett., 281 421.
- Ragains, M.L., Finlayson-Pitts, B.J., 1997: Kinetics and mechanism of the reaction of Cl atoms with 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene (isoprene) at 298 K, J. Phys. Chem., 101, 1509.
- Singh, H.B. Gregory, G.L., Anderson B., Browell E., Sachse, G.W., Davis, D.D., Crawford, Bradshaw, J.D., Talbot, R., Blake, D.R., Thornton, D., Newell, R., Merrill J., 1996: Low ozone in the marine boundary layer of the tropical Pacific Ocean: photochemical loss, Cl atoms, and entrainment, Geophys. Res., 101, 1907.
- Spicer, C.W., Chapman, E.G., Finlayson-Pitts, B.J., Plastridge, R.A., Hubbe, J.M., Fast, J.D., Berkowitz, C.M., 1998: Unexpectedly high concentrations of molecular chlorine in coastal air, Nature, 394, 353.
- Wingenter, O.W., Kubo, M.K., Blake, N.J., Smith T.W. Jr., Blake, D.R. Rowland, F.S., 1996: Hydrocarbon and halocarbon measurements as photochemical and dynamical indicators of atmospheric hydroxyl, atomic chlorine, and vertical mixing obtained during Lagrangian flights, J. Geophys. Res., 101, 4332.
- Laboratory Kinetic Studies of the Reactions of Cl Atoms with Species of Biogenic Origin: δ3-Carene, Isoprene, Methacrolein and Methyl Vinyl Ketone
Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 163-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chlorine atoms
- methacrolein and methyl vinyl ketone
- Industry Sectors