The Ten Commandments Perspective on Power and Authority in Organizations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Power and authority in terms of the Ten Commandments (TCs) are discussed. The paper reviews the TCs in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. The treatment and basis for power and authority in each religion are clarified. Implications of power and authority using the perspective of the TCs are provided. The paper suggests that in today's business environment people tend to be selective in identifying only with certain elements of the TCs that fit their interest and that the TCs should be viewed as general moral guidelines.
- Ali, A. and M. Gibbs: 1998, ‘Foundation of Business Ethics in Contemporary Religious Thought: The 10 Commandment Perspective’, International Journal of Social Economics(forth coming).
- The Babylonian Talmud: Not dated, Translated by L. Auerbach (Philosophical Library, New York).
- Barnard, C.: 1986, ‘The Theory of Authority’, in M. Matteson and J. Ivancevich (eds.), Management Classics(Business Publications, Plano, TX), pp. 211–219.
- Barnett, Michael N.: 1997, ‘Bringing in the New World Order – Liberalism, Legitimacy, and the United Nations’, World Politics 49(July 1997), 526–551.
- Blank, Irvin M.: 1970, ‘Is There a Common Judaeo-Christian Ethical Tradition?’, in D. Silver (ed.), Judaism and Ethics(KTAV Publishing House, Inc.), pp. 95-112.
- Childs, M. and D. Cater: 1954, Ethics in a Business Society(Harper & Brothers, New York).
- Deutscher, Isaac: 1968, The Non-Jewish Jew and Other Essays(Oxford University Press, New York).
- Edel, Abraham: 1970, ‘Some Current Trends in Ethical Theory’, Judaism and Ethics(KTAV Publishing House, Inc.).
- Galbrath, J.: 1983, The Anatomy of Power(Houghton Mifflin, Boston).
- Gustafson, James M.: 1970, ‘What is the Contemporary Problematic of Ethics in Christianity?’, in D. Silver (ed.), Judaism and Ethics(KTAV Publishing House, Inc.).
- Herklots: 1958, The Ten Commandments of Modern Man(Ernest Benn Ltd., London).
- Holy Bible: 1983, Containing Old and New Testaments, The authorized King James Version.
- Holy Quran: 1981, Arabic text and English translation, (Sarwar's translation), Elmhurst (Islamic Seminary, New York).
- Mirels, H. and J. Garret: 1971, ‘Protestant Ethic as a Personality Variable’, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 40–44, 69.
- Neusner, Jacob: 1988, Struggle for the Jewish Mind: Debates and Disputes on Judaism Then and Now(University Press of America, Inc., Lanham).
- Novak, M.: 1998, May 24, ‘The Most Religious Century’, New York Times, 24
- Oversteet, H.: 1949, The Nature Mind(Norton and Co., New York).
- Patai, R.: 1986, The Seed of Abraham(Charles Scribner and Son, New York).
- Peabody, R.: 1962, March, ‘Perceptions of Organizational Authority’, Administrative Science Quarterly, 463–472.
- Pfeffer, Jeffrey: 1997, ‘Understanding Power in Organizations’, in M. L. Tushman and P. Anderson (eds.), Managing Strategic Innovation and Change(Oxford University Press, New York).
- Shahak, Israel: 1994, Jewish History, Jewish Religion(Pluto Press, London).
- Shiver, Donald W.: 1995, An Ethic for Enemies: Forgiveness in Politics(Oxford University Press, Inc., New York).
- Specter, M.: 1992, March, ‘The Oracle of Crown Heights’, The New York Times Magazine, 34–76.
- The Talmud: 1989, Selected Writings, Translated by Ben Zion Bokser (The Classics of Western Spirituality, New York).
- Visotzky, Burton L.: 1996, The Genesis of Ethics(Crown Publishers, Inc., New York).
- Vorspan, Albert: 1968, Jewish Values and Social Crisis(Union of American Hebrew Congregations, New York).
- The Ten Commandments Perspective on Power and Authority in Organizations
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 26, Issue 4 , pp 351-361
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors