Revision of Decacotylinae Chisholm, Wheeler & Beverley Burton, 1995 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae), including the synonymy of Papillicotyle Young, 1967 with Decacotyle Young, 1967 and a description of a new species from Australia
- Leslie A. Chisholm
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Close examination of type and new material of Decacotyle lymmae Young, 1967 revealed the presence of two unsclerotised structures on the dorsal surface of the haptor which were overlooked in the original description. We demonstrate that Papillicotyle Young, 1967, distinguished previously from Decacotyle Young, 1967 in part by the presence of unsclerotised accessory structures on the dorsal surface of the haptor, is synonymous with Decacotyle. D. tetrakordyle n. sp. is described from the gills of Pastinachus sephen (Forsskål) collected from Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. D. tetrakordyle n. sp. is distinguished from the other four species in the genus by the presence of four accessory structures on the dorsal surface of the haptor and a complex male copulatory organ. Additional specimens of D. lymmae Young, 1967 from the gills of Taeniura lymma (Forsskål) and D. floridana (Pratt, 1910) n. comb and D. octona (Young, 1967) n. comb from the gills of Aetobatus narinari (Euphrasen) were also collected from the Queensland coast, Australia in the present study: D. youngi (Timofeeva, 1983) n. comb. is also transferred to Decacotyle from Papillicotyle. The Decacotylinae Chisholm, Wheeler & Beverley-Burton, 1995 is revised based on examination of type material, material of the new species and additional material of three previously described species. The oncomiracidium of D. floridana is described. A key to species is given and a description is provided of anterior glands containing needle-like secretion located lateral to the pharynx not described previously in D. lymmae. The discovery of D. floridana at Heron Island and D. octona in Moreton Bay represent new locality records for these species.
- Beverley-Burton, M. & Whittington, I.D. (1995) Clemacotyle australis (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) from the white-spotted eagle ray Aetobatus narinari (Rajiformes: Myliobatididae) on the Great Barrier Reef: redescription, emended generic diagnosis and oncomiracidium. Journal of Parasitology, 81, 616–625.
- Chisholm, L.A., Wheeler, T.A. & Beverley-Burton, M. (1995) A phylogenetic analysis and revised classification of the Monocotylidae Taschenberg, 1879 (Monogenea). Systematic Parasitology, 32, 159–191.
- Chisholm, L.A. & Whittington, I.D. (1996) A revision of Heterocotyle (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) with a description of Heterocotyle capricornensis n. sp. from Himantura fai (Dasyatididae) from Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. International Journal for Parasitology, 26, 1,169–1,190.
- Chisholm, L.A. & Whittington, I.D. (1997) A revision of Neoheterocotyle (Monogenea: Monocotylidae) with descriptions of the larvae of N. rhinobatis and N. rhynchobatis from Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. International Journal for Parasitology, 27, 1,041–1,060.
- Grant, E. (1982) Fishes of Australia. Scarborough, Australia; E.M. Grant Pty Ltd, 896 pp.
- Hargis, W.J., Jr (1955) Monogenetic trematodes of Gulf of Mexico fishes. Part V. The superfamily Capsaloidea. Transactions of the American Microscopical Society, 74, 203–225.
- Humason, G.L. (1979) Animal tissue techniques. Fourth Edition. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman & Company, 661 pp.
- International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. (1985) International code of zoological nomenclature. Third Edition. London: British Museum (Natural History), 338 pp.
- Last, P.R. & Stevens, J.D. (1994) Sharks and rays of Australia. Australia: Publication of the CSIRO Division of Fisheries, 513 pp.
- Pearse, A.S. (1949) Observations of flatworms and nemerteans collected at Beaufort, North Carolina. Proceedings of the United States National Museum, 100, 25–38.
- Pillai, V.S. & Pillai, N.K. (1976) Monogenean parasites of the marine fishes of the Kerala Coast. I. Aquatic Biology, 1, 85–99.
- Pratt, H.S. (1910) Monocotyle floridana, a new monogenetic trematode. Papers from the Marine Biological Laboratory at Tortugas, 133, 3–9.
- Price, E.W. (1938) North American monogenetic trematodes. II. The families Monocotylidae, Microbothriidae, Acanthocotylidae and Udonellidae (Capsaloidea). Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences, 28, 109–126.
- Roff, J.C. & Hopcroft, R.R. (1986) High precision microcomputer based measuring system for ecological research. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 43, 2,044–2,048.
- Timofeeva, T.A. (1983) [New representatives of monocotylids (Monogenea, Monocotylidae) from cartilaginous fishes of the South-China and Yellow Seas.] Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Trudy Zoologicheskogo Instituta, 121, 35–47. (In Russian).
- Young, P.C. (1967) A taxonomic revision of the subfamilies Monocotylinae Gamble, 1896 and Dendromonocotylinae Hargis, 1955 (Monogenoidea: Monocotylidae). Journal of Zoology, London, 153, 381–422.
- Revision of Decacotylinae Chisholm, Wheeler & Beverley Burton, 1995 (Monogenea: Monocotylidae), including the synonymy of Papillicotyle Young, 1967 with Decacotyle Young, 1967 and a description of a new species from Australia
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 9-20
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links