The Ethics of Slotting: Is this Bribery, Facilitation Marketing or Just Plain Competition?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The practice of manufacturers' payments of fees to retailers for the display and sale of their products has become a common practice. In the grocery retail business, the fees paid by manufacturers are called slotting fees, or a payment made for a slot on the shelf. The same practice is used now in the retail book industry. Large book chains command high fees from publishers for the prominent display of books. Entrepreneur's products are often precluded from stores and markets because slotting fees are prohibitive. The fees are non-uniform and often paid in cash, creating an atmosphere that has already spawned illegal activity on the part of retail executives. This article examines the ethics of slotting fees.
- Aalberts, R. J. and L. Lynn Judd: 1991, ‘Slotting in the Retail Grocery Business: Does It Violate the Public Policy Goal of Protecting Business Against Price Discrimination?’ DePaul Law Review 40, 397–416.
- Deloitte Touche: 1997, Questions at Stockholders' Meeting.
- Fiser, J.: 1996, ‘Do Businesses Have Moral Obligations Beyond What the Law Requires?’ Journal of Business Ethics, April, 457–468.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: 1997, 15 U.S.C. § 78m(b).
- Friedman, M.: 1970, ‘The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits’, The New York Times Magazine, Sept. 13, 32–33, 122- 126.
- Gibson, R.: 1988, ‘Supermarkets Demand Food Firms’ Payments Just to Get on the Shelf’, Wall Street Journal, Nov. 1, A1 and A14.
- Grand Union v. FTC, 300 F 2d 92 (2d Cir. 1962).
- Greenstein, J.: 1995, ‘Battle for Shelf Space Puts Publishers in Financial Bind’, Video Business 15(26), 42.
- Greenwald, J.: 1996, ‘Frito-Lay Under Snack Attack’, Time, June 30, 62–63.
- Hetrick, Ross: 1995, ‘Ice Cream Firm Frozen’, Baltimore Sun, Sept. 25, 13C.
- Interviews with manufacturers and retailers conducted from 1995- 1997. The authors pledged anonymity to these sources.
- Laczniak, G.: 1983, ‘Business Ethics: A Managers' Primer’, Business, Jan. 23–29.
- 'Policy Hearings Shift Focus to FTC Impact on Small Business': 1995, BNA Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report 69 (1738), 581.
- Ross, B.: 1995, ‘Money Talks 20/20’, Nov. 10, Transcript #1545.
- Somervill, Sean: 1996, ‘High Price of Shelf Space’, Baltimore Sun, 10, 4D.
- The Ethics of Slotting: Is this Bribery, Facilitation Marketing or Just Plain Competition?
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 207-215
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors