Molecular cloning in Arabidopsis thaliana of a new protein phosphatase 2C (PP2C) with homology to ABI1 and ABI2
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report the cloning of both the cDNA and the corresponding genomic sequence of a new PP2C from Arabidopsis thaliana, named AtP2C-HA (for homology to ABI1/ABI2). The AtP2C-HA cDNA contains an open reading frame of 1536 bp and encodes a putative protein of 511 amino acids with a predicted molecular mass of 55.7 kDa. The AtP2C-HA protein is composed of two domains, a C-terminal PP2C catalytic domain and a N-terminal extension of ca. 180 amino acid residues. The deduced amino acid sequence is 55% and 54% identical to ABI1 and ABI2, respectively. Comparison of the genomic structure of the ABI1, ABI2 and AtP2C-HA genes suggests that they belong to a multigene family. The expression of the AtP2C-HA gene is up-regulated by abscisic acid (ABA) treatment.
- Bertauche N, Leung J, Giraudat J: Protein phosphatase activity of abscisic acid insensitive1 (ABI1) protein from Arabidopsis thaliana. Eur J Biochem 241: 193–200 (1996).
- Chandler PM, Robertson M: Gene expression regulated by abscisic acid and its relation to stress tolerance. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 45: 113–141 (1994).
- Church GM, Gilbert W: Genomic sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 1991–1995 (1984).
- Cohen P: The structure and regulation of protein phosphatases. Annu Rev Biochem 58: 453–508 (1989).
- Das AK, Helps NR, Cohen PTW, Barford D: Crystal structure of protein serine/threonine phosphatase 2C at 2.0 Å resolution. EMBO J 15: 6798–6809 (1996).
- Koornneef M, Reuling G, Karssen CM: The isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-insensitive mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiol Plant 61: 377–383 (1984).
- Kuromori T, Yamamoto M: Cloning of cDNAs from Arabidopsis thaliana that encode a putative protein phosphatase 2C and a human Dr1-like protein by transformation of a fission yeast mutant. Nucl Acids Res 22: 5296–5301 (1994).
- Leube MP, Grill E, Amrhein N: ABI1 of Arabidopsis is a protein serine/threonine phosphatase highly regulated by proton and magnesium ion concentration. FEBS Lett 424: 96–100 (1998).
- Leung J, Bouvier-Durand M, Morris P-C, Guerrier D, Chefdor F, Giraudat J: Arabidopsis ABA response gene ABI1: features of a calcium-modulated protein phosphatase. Science 264: 1448–1452 (1994).
- Leung J, Merlot S, Giraudat J: The Arabidopsis abscisic acid-insensitive2 (ABI2) and ABI1 genes encode homologous protein phosphatases 2C involved in abscisic acid signal transduction. Plant Cell 9: 759–771 (1997).
- Maeda T, Wurgler-Murphy SM, Saito H: A two-component system that regulates an osmosensing MAP kinase cascade in yeast. Nature 369: 242–245 (1994).
- Mann DJ, Campbell DG, McGowan CH, Cohen P: Mammalian protein serine/threonine phosphatase 2C: cDNA cloning and comparative analysis of amino acid sequence. Biochim Biophys Acta 1130: 100–104 (1992).
- Meyer K, Leube MP, Grill E: A protein phosphatase 2C involved in ABA signal transduction in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 264: 1452–1455 (1994).
- Moore F, Weekes J, Hardie DG: Evidence that AMP triggers phosphorylation as well as direct allosteric activation of rat liver AMP-activated protein kinase. Eur J Biochem 199: 691–697 (1991).
- Rodriguez PL, Benning G, Grill E: ABI2, a second protein phosphatase 2C involved in ABA signal transduction in Arabidopsis. FEBS Lett 421: 185–190 (1998).
- Shiozaki K, Russell P: Counteractive roles of protein phosphatase 2C (PP2C) and a MAP kinase kinase homolog in the osmoregulation of fission yeast. EMBO J 14: 492–502 (1995).
- Smith RD, Walker JC: Plant protein phosphatases. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 47: 101–125 (1996).
- Stark MJR: Yeast protein serine/threonine phosphatases: multiple roles and diverse regulation. Yeast 12: 1647–1675 (1996).
- Stone JM, Collinge MA, Smith RD, Horn MA, Walker JC: Interaction of a protein phosphatase with an Arabidopsis serinethreonine receptor kinase. Science 266: 793–795 (1994).
- Tamura S, Lynch KR, Larner J, Fox J, Yasui A, Kikuchi K, Suzuki Y, Tsuiki S: Molecular cloning of rat type 2C (IA) protein phosphatase mRNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 1796–1800 (1989).
- Molecular cloning in Arabidopsis thaliana of a new protein phosphatase 2C (PP2C) with homology to ABI1 and ABI2
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 38, Issue 5 , pp 879-883
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- abscisic acid
- signal transduction
- Industry Sectors