Evaluating International Ethical Climates: A Goal Programming Model
- James J. Hoffman
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A critical concern for firms pursuing international expansion strategies involves identifying countries that offer a good fit with the firm's overall ethical orientation. Unfortunately, little has been written to aid firms in identifying countries that offer this type of fit. This paper presents a model that combines the concepts of strategic management, cross-cultural management, business ethics, and the management science technique of goal programming. The purpose of the model is to aid managers in identifying countries for international expansion that offer the best fit with the firm's ethical orientation. The paper also extends the existing literature on cross-cultural management and business ethics by applying a computer optimization model to evaluate potential countries for international expansion in a way that has not been done before.
- Abratt, R., D. Nel and N. Higgs: 1992, ‘An Examination of the Ethical Beliefs of Managers Using Selected Scenarios in a Cross-Cultural Environment’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 29–35.
- Adler, N.: 1983, ‘A Typology of Management Studies Involving Culture’, Journal of International Business Studies(Fall), 29–47.
- Britran, G.: 1979, ‘Theory and Algorithms for Linear Multiple Objective Programs with Zero-one Variables’, Math Programming 17.
- Estafsen, B. D.: 1970, ‘System Transfer Characteristics: An Experimental Model for Comparative Management Research’, Management International Review 10, 23–25.
- Farmer, R. N. and B. M. Richman: 1964, ‘A Model for Research in Comparative Management’, California Management Review(Winter), 55–68.
- Fritzsche, D. and H. Becker: 1984, ‘Linking Managerial Behavior to Ethical Philosophy - An Empirical Investigation’, Academy of Management Journal 27, 166–175.
- Hegarty, W. and H. Sims: 1979, ‘Organizational Philosophy, Policies, and Objectives Related to Unethical Decision Behavior: An Laboratory Experiment’, Journal of Applied Psychology 64(3), 331–338.
- Hofstede, G.: 1980, Culture's Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values(Sage, Beverly Hills, CA).
- Hofstede, G.: 1983, ‘National Cultures in Four Dimensions: A Research-Theory of Cultural Dimensions Among Nations’, International Studies of Management and Organization 13, 52.
- Hofstede, G.: 1984, ‘The Cultural Relativity of the Quality of Life Concept’, Academy of Management Review 9, 389–398.
- Hofstede, G.: 1994, ‘Management Scientists are Human’, Management Science 1, 4–13.
- Izraeli, D.: 1988, ‘Ethical Beliefs and the Behavior of Managers - A Cross-Cultural Perspective’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 263–271.
- Kiziltan, G. and E. Yucaoglu: 1983, ‘An Algorithm for Multiobjective Zero-One Linear Programming’, Management Science 29, 1444–1453.
- Kugel, Y.: 1973, ‘A Decisional Model for the Multinational Firm’, International Management Review 13, 3–14.
- Lee, K. H.: 1981, ‘Ethical Beliefs in Marketing Management: A Cross Cultural Study’, European Journal of Marketing 15, 58–67.
- Pearce, J. and R. Robinson: 1997, Strategic Management: Formulation, Implementation, and Control(Irwin, Chicago, Illinois).
- Schniederjans, M. J.: 1984, Linear Goal Programming. (Petrocelli Books, Inc., Princeton, NJ).
- Schniederjans, M. J.: 1995, Goal Programming: Methodology and Applications(Kluwer Academic Publishers, Inc., Norwell, MA).
- Smircich, L.: 1983, ‘Concepts of Culture and Organizational Analysis’, Administrative Science Quarterly 28, 330–358.
- Trompenaars, F.: 1993, Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Diversity in Global Business(Irwin, New York, NY).
- Tsalikis, J. and O. Nwachukwu: 1988, ‘Cross-Cultural Business Ethics: Ethical Beliefs Difference Between Blacks and Whites’, Journal of Business Ethics 7, 745–755.
- Tsalikis, J. and O. Nwachukwu: 1989, ‘Cross-Cultural Marketing Ethics: An Examination of the Ethical Beliefs & Differences between Greeks and Americans’, Journal of International Consumer Marketing 1, 3.
- Vitell, S., S. Nwachukwu and J. Barnes: 1993, ‘The Effects of Culture on Ethical Decision-Making: An Application of Hofstede's Typology’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 753–760.
- Evaluating International Ethical Climates: A Goal Programming Model
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 16 , pp 1861-1869
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors