The Association of Ethical Judgment of Advertising and Selected Advertising Effectiveness Response Variables
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examines the potential effects of unethically perceived advertising executionson consumer responses to the ad. The study found that the unethical perceptions of the advertisement shown significantly and negatively affected all advertising response variables examined in the study.
- Bagozzi, Richard P.: 1981, 'Attitudes, Intentions, and Behavior: A Test of Some Key Hypotheses', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 41(4), 607-627.
- Bagozzi, Richard P. and Robert E. Burnkrant: 1979, Attitude Organization and the Attitude-Behavior Relationships', Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 37(6), 931-929.
- Batra, Rajeev and Douglas M. Stayman: 1990, 'The Role of Mood in Advertising Effectiveness', Journal of Consumer Research 17(September), 203-214.
- Beatty, Sharon E. and Del I. Hawkins: 1989, subliminal Stimulation: Some New Data and Interpretations', Journal of Advertising 18(3), 4-8.
- Belch, George E. and Michael A. Belch: 1993, Introduction to Advertising and Promotion, 2nd edn. (Irwin, Homewood, IL).
- Cuperfain, Ronnie and T. K. Clarke: 1985, 'A New Perspective of Subliminal Perceptions', Journal of Advertising 14(1), 36-40.
- Edell, Julie A. and Marian Chapman Burke: 1987, 'The Power of Feelings in Understanding Advertising Effects', Journal of Consumer Research, 14(December), 421-433.
- Fishbein, Martin and Icek Ajzen: 1975, Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior(Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Massachusetts).
- Forsyth, Donelson R. and Judith L. Nye: 1990, Personal Moral Philosophies and Moral Choices', Journal of Research in Personality 24, 398-414.
- Gable, Myron, Henry T. Wilkens, Lynn Harris and Richard Feinberg: 1987, 'An Evaluation of Subliminally Embedded Sexual Stimuli Graphics', Journal of Advertising 16(1), 26-31.
- Gardner, Meryl Paula: 1985, 'Does Attitude Toward the Ad Affect Brand Attitude Under a Brand Evaluation Set?' Journal of Marketing Research 22(May), 192-198.
- Goldberg, Marvin E. and Jon Hartwick: 1990, 'The Effects of Advertiser Reputation and Extremity of Advertising Claim on Advertising Effectiveness', Journal of Consumer Research, 17(September), 172-179.
- Gould, Stephen J.: 1994, 'Sexuality and Ethics in Advertising: A Research Agenda and Policy Guideline Perspectives', Journal of Advertising 23(3), 73-80.
- Hawkins, Del.: 1970, 'The Effects of Subliminal Stimulation on Drive Level and Brand Preferences, Journal of Marketing Research 7(August), 322-326.
- Holbrook, Morris B. and Rajeev Batra: 1987, 'Assessing the Role of Emotions as Mediators of Consumer Responses to Advertisings', Journal of Consumer Research 14(December), 404-420.
- Homer, Pamela M.: 1990, 'The Mediating Role of Attitude Toward the Ad: Some Additional Evidences', Journal of Marketing Research 27(February), 78-86.
- Hyman, Michael R., Richard Tansey and James W. Clark: 1994, 'Research on Advertising Ethics: Past, Present and Futures', Journal of Advertising 23(3), 5-15.
- Jones, David B., K. A. Krentler and Fanis Varvoglis: 1989, 'Belief in Subliminal Advertising's Influence and Locus of Controls', in Robert L. King (ed.), Marketing: Positioning for the 1990s: Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Southern Marketing Association held in New Orleans 8-11 November 1989(The Citadel, publishers, Charleston).
- Kelly, J. Steven: 1979, 'Subliminal Embeds in Print Advertising: A Challenge to Advertising Ethics, Journal of Advertising 8(3), 20-24.
- Kilbourne, William E., Scott Painton and Danny Ridley: 1985, 'The Effects of Sexual Embedding on Responses to Magazine Advertisements', Journal of Advertising 14(2), 48-56.
- LaTour, Michael S. and Tony L. Henthorne: 1994, 'Ethical Judgments of Sexual Appeals in Print Advertisings', Journal of Advertising 23(3), 81-90.
- LaTour, Michael S., Robert E. Pitts and David C. Snook-Luther: 1990, 'Female Nudity, Arousal, and Ad Response: An Experimental Investigations', Journal of Advertising 19(4), 51-62.
- MacKenzie, Scott B. and Richard J. Lutz: 1989, 'An Empirical Examination of the Structural Antecedents of Attitude Toward the Ad in an Advertising Pretesting Contexts', Journal of Marketing 53(April), 48-65.
- MacKenzie, Scott B., Richard J. Lutz and George E. Belch: 1986, 'The Role of Attitude Toward the Ad as a Mediator of Advertising Effectiveness: A Test of Competing Explanations', Journal of Marketing Research 27(August), 290-303.
- Mitchell, Andrew A. and Jerry C. Olson: 1981, 'Are Product Attribute Beliefs the Only Mediator of Advertising Effects on Brand Attitudes', Journal of Marketing Research 28(August), 318-332.
- Moore, Timothy E.: 1982, 'Subliminal Advertising: What You See is What You Gets', Journal of Marketing 46(Spring), 38-47.
- Nunnally, J: 1978, Psychometric Methods(McGraw Hill Book, Co., New York, NY).
- Olney, Thomas J., Morris B. Holbrook and Rajeev Batra: 1991, 'Consumer Responses to Advertising: The Effects of Ad Content, Emotions, and Attitude Toward the Ad on Viewing Times', Journal of Consumer Research 17(March), 440-453.
- Park, Whan C. and S. Mark Young: 1986, 'Consumer Response to Television Commercials: The Impact of Involvement and Background Music on Brand Attitude Formations', Journal of Marketing Research 23(February), 11-24.
- Reidenbach, R. E. and D. P. Robin: 1990, 'Toward the Development of a Multidimensional Scale for Improving Evaluations of Business Ethics', Journal of Business Ethics 9(August), 639-653.
- Reidenbach, R. Eric and Donald P. Robin: 1988, 'Some Initial Steps toward Improving the Measurement of Ethical Evaluations of Marketing Activities', Journal of Business Ethics 7(November), 871-880.
- Robin, Donald P. and R. Eric Reidenbach: 1987, 'Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Marketing Strategy: Closing the Gap Between Concept and Applications', Journal of Marketing 51(January), 44-58.
- Rogers, Martha and Christine A. Seiler: 1994, 'The Answer is No: A National Survey of Advertising Industry Practitioners and Their Clients about Whether They Use Subliminal Advertisings', Journal of Advertising Research(March/April), 36-45.
- Severn, Jessica, George E. Belch and Michael A. Belch: 1990, 'The Effects of Sexual and Nonsexual Advertising Appeals and Information Level on Cognitive Processing and Communication Effectiveness', Journal of Advertising 19(1), 14-22.
- Sheppard, Blair H., Jon Hartwick and Paul R. Warshaw: 1988, 'The Theory of Resoned Action: A Meta-Analysis of Past Research with Recommendations for Modifications and Future Researchs', Journal of Consumer Research 15(December), 325-343.
- Shimp, Terence A.: 1981, 'Attitude Toward the Ad as a Mediator of Consumer Brand Choices', Journal of Advertising 10(2), 9-15, 48.
- Tansey, Richard, Michael R. Hyman and Gene Brown: 1992, 'Ethical Judgments About Wartime Ads Depicting Combats', Journal of Advertising 21 (September), 73-79.
- Tinkham, Spencer F. and Ruth Ann Weaver-Lariscy: 1994, 'Ethical Judgments of Political Television Commercials as Predictors of Attitude Toward the Ads', Journal of Advertising 23(3), 43-58.
- Vitell, Scott J., James R. Lumpkin and Mohammed Y. A. Rawwas: 1991, 'Consumer Ethics: An Investigation of the Ethical Beliefs of Elderly Consumers', Journal of Business Ethics 10(May), 365-375.
- Whalen, Joel, Robert E. Pitts and John K. Wong: 1991, 'Exploring the Structure of Ethical Attributions as a Component of the Consumer Decision Model: The Vicarious versus Personal Perspectives', Journal of Business Ethics 10(April), 285-293.
- Widing, Robert E. II, Ronald Hoverstad, Ronald Coulter and Gene Brown: 1991, 'The VASE Scales: Measures of Viewpoints about Sexual Embeds in Advertisings', Journal of Business Research 10(April), 285-293.
- Zanot, Eric, J. D. Pincus and E. J. Lamp: 1983, 'Public Perceptions of Subliminal Advertisings', Journal of Advertising 12(1), 39-45.
- Zinkhan, George M.: 1994, 'Advertising Ethics: Emerging Methods and Trends', Journal of Advertising 23(3), 1-4.
- The Association of Ethical Judgment of Advertising and Selected Advertising Effectiveness Response Variables
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 125-136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors