Challenges in Teaching Business Ethics: Using Role Set Analysis of Early Career Dilemmas
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Emphasis in business ethics texts and courses has generally focused on corporate and other relatively high-level ethical issues. However, business school graduates in early career stages report ethical dilemmas involving individual-level decisions, often including influence attempts from one or more members of their work role sets. This paper proposes the use of role set analysis as a pedagogical technique for helping individuals to anticipate and deal with early-career ethical issues.
- Adams, J. S.: 1976, ‘The Structure and Dynamics of Behavior in Organizational Boundary Roles’, in M. D. Dunnette (ed.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Rand McNall, Chicago).
- Adams, J. S. and S. S. Carley: 1991, ‘A Role Set Analysis of Ethical Dilemmas in the Workplace’, presented at the Southern Management Association, Atlanta.
- Andrews, K. R.: 1989, ‘Ethics in Practice’, Harvard Business Review 89(5), 99–105.
- Arlow, P. and T. A. Ulrich: 1988, ‘A Longitudinal Survey of Business School Graduates' Assessments of Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 295–302.
- Bishop, T. R.: 1992, ‘Integrating Business Ethics into an Undergraduate Curriculum’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 291–299.
- Blanchard, K. and N. V. Peale: 1988, The Power of Ethical Management (Fawcett Crest, New York).
- Buchholz, R. A.: 1995, Business Environment and Public Policy: Implications for Mangement, 5th Edition (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ).
- Carley, S. S. and J. S. Adams: 1991, ‘Graduates' Perceptions of Business School Preparation for Dealing with Ethical Challenges in the Workplace’, presented at the Southwest Academy of Management, Houston.
- Collins, D. and S. L. Wartick: 1995, ‘Business and Society/Business Ethics Courses’, Business and Society 34(1), 51–89.
- Donaldson, T. and P. H. Werhane: 1993, Ethical Issues in Business: A Philosophical Approach, 4th Edition (Prentice Hill, Englewood Cliffs, NJ).
- Furman, F. K.: 1990, ‘Teaching Business Ethics: Questioning the Assumptions, Seeking New Directions’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 31–38.
- Ghorpade, J.: 1991, ‘Ethics in MBA Programs: The Rhetoric, the Reality and a Plan of Action’, Journal of Business Ethics, 10, 891–905.
- Green, R. M.: 1994, The Ethical Manager: A New Method for Business (MacMillan, New York).
- Harris, C. S. and W. R. Brown: 1990, ‘Developmental Inhibitors to Ethical Behavior in Business’, Journal of Business Ethics 9, 855–862.
- Harris, C. S. and W. R. Brown: 1989, ‘Using Babbitt to Teach Business Ethics: A Case that Failed’, Organizational Behavior Teaching Review 13(3), 38–47.
- Hosmer, L. T.: 1988, ‘Adding Ethics to the Business Curriculum’, Business Horizons, July–August, 9–15.
- Katz, D. and R. L. Kahn: 1978, The Social Psychology of Organizations, 2nd Edition (Wiley, New York).
- Kennedy, E. J. and L. Lawton: 1992, ‘Business Ethics in Fiction’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 187–195.
- Liedtka, J.: 1992, ‘Wounded But Wiser: Reflections on Teaching Ethics to MBA Students’, Journal of Management Education 16(4), 405–416.
- Marini, F.: 1992, ‘Literature and Public Administration Ethics’, American Review of Public Administration 22(2), 111–125.
- McDonald, M.: 1992, ‘The Canadian Research Strategy for Applied Ethics: A New Opportunity for Research in Business and Professional Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 569–583.
- Payne, S. L., and R. A. Giacalone: 1990, ‘Social Psychological Approaches to the Perception of Ethical Dilemmas’, Human Relations 43(7), 649–665.
- Pizzolatto, A. B.: 1993, ‘Ethical Management: an Exercise in Understanding Its Power’, Journal of Management Education 17(1), 107–109.
- Reilly, B. J. and M. J. Kyj: 1990, ‘Ethical Business and the Ethical Person’, Business Horizons, November– December, 23–27.
- Schaupp, D. L. and M. S. Lane: 1992, ‘Teaching Business Ethics: Bringing Reality to the Classroom’, Journal of Business Ethics 11, 225–229.
- Sims, R. R. and S. J. Sims: 1991, ‘Increasing Applied Business Ethics Courses in Business School Curricula’, Journal of Business Ethics 10, 211–219.
- Trevino, L. K. and D. McCabe: 1994, ‘Meta-learning About Business Ethics: Building Honorable Business School Communities’, Journal of Business Ethics 13, 405–416.
- Tsui, A. S.: 1984, ‘A Role Set Analysis of Managerial Reputation’, Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 34, 64–96.
- Challenges in Teaching Business Ethics: Using Role Set Analysis of Early Career Dilemmas
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 12 , pp 1325-1335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors