Challenges in Teaching Business Ethics: Using Role Set Analysis of Early Career Dilemmas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Emphasis in business ethics texts and courses has generally focused on corporate and other relatively high-level ethical issues. However, business school graduates in early career stages report ethical dilemmas involving individual-level decisions, often including influence attempts from one or more members of their work role sets. This paper proposes the use of role set analysis as a pedagogical technique for helping individuals to anticipate and deal with early-career ethical issues.
- Adams, J. S. The Structure and Dynamics of Behavior in Organizational Boundary Roles. In: Dunnette, M. D. eds. (1976) Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Rand McNall, Chicago
- Adams, J. S. and S. S. Carley: 1991, ‘A Role Set Analysis of Ethical Dilemmas in the Workplace’, presented at the Southern Management Association, Atlanta.
- Andrews, K. R. (1989) Ethics in Practice. Harvard Business Review 89: pp. 99-105
- Arlow, P. and T. A. Ulrich: 1988, ‘A Longitudinal Survey of Business School Graduates' Assessments of Business Ethics’, Journal of Business Ethics 295–302.
- Bishop, T. R. (1992) Integrating Business Ethics into an Undergraduate Curriculum. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 291-299
- Blanchard, K., Peale, N. V. (1988) The Power of Ethical Management. Fawcett Crest, New York
- Buchholz, R. A. (1995) Business Environment and Public Policy: Implications for Mangement. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Carley, S. S. and J. S. Adams: 1991, ‘Graduates' Perceptions of Business School Preparation for Dealing with Ethical Challenges in the Workplace’, presented at the Southwest Academy of Management, Houston.
- Collins, D., Wartick, S. L. (1995) usiness and Society/Business Ethics Courses. Business and Society 34: pp. 51-89
- Donaldson, T., Werhane, P. H. (1993) Ethical Issues in Business: A Philosophical Approach. Prentice Hill, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Furman, F. K. (1990) Teaching Business Ethics: Questioning the Assumptions, Seeking New Directions. Journal of Business Ethics 9: pp. 31-38
- Ghorpade, J. (1991) Ethics in MBA Programs: The Rhetoric, the Reality and a Plan of Action. Journal of Business Ethics 10: pp. 891-905
- Green, R. M. (1994) The Ethical Manager: A New Method for Business. MacMillan, New York
- Harris, C. S., Brown, W. R. (1990) Developmental Inhibitors to Ethical Behavior in Business. Journal of Business Ethics 9: pp. 855-862
- Harris, C. S., Brown, W. R. (1989) Using Babbitt to Teach Business Ethics: A Case that Failed. Organizational Behavior Teaching Review 13: pp. 38-47
- Hosmer, L. T.: 1988, ‘Adding Ethics to the Business Curriculum’, Business Horizons, July–August, 9–15.
- Katz, D., Kahn, R. L. (1978) The Social Psychology of Organizations. Wiley, New York
- Kennedy, E. J., Lawton, L. (1992) Business Ethics in Fiction. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 187-195
- Liedtka, J. (1992) Wounded But Wiser: Reflections on Teaching Ethics to MBA Students. Journal of Management Education 16: pp. 405-416
- Marini, F. (1992) Literature and Public Administration Ethics. American Review of Public Administration 22: pp. 111-125
- McDonald, M. (1992) The Canadian Research Strategy for Applied Ethics: A New Opportunity for Research in Business and Professional Ethics. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 569-583
- Payne, S. L., Giacalone, R. A. (1990) Social Psychological Approaches to the Perception of Ethical Dilemmas. Human Relations 43: pp. 649-665
- Pizzolatto, A. B. (1993) Ethical Management: an Exercise in Understanding Its Power. Journal of Management Education 17: pp. 107-109
- Reilly, B. J. and M. J. Kyj: 1990, ‘Ethical Business and the Ethical Person’, Business Horizons, November– December, 23–27.
- Schaupp, D. L., Lane, M. S. (1992) Teaching Business Ethics: Bringing Reality to the Classroom. Journal of Business Ethics 11: pp. 225-229
- Sims, R. R., Sims, S. J. (1991) Increasing Applied Business Ethics Courses in Business School Curricula. Journal of Business Ethics 10: pp. 211-219
- Trevino, L. K., McCabe, D. (1994) Meta-learning About Business Ethics: Building Honorable Business School Communities. Journal of Business Ethics 13: pp. 405-416
- Tsui, A. S. (1984) A Role Set Analysis of Managerial Reputation. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 34: pp. 64-96
- Challenges in Teaching Business Ethics: Using Role Set Analysis of Early Career Dilemmas
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 12 , pp 1325-1335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors